MacGregor 26, opinions please ?

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
How about this...

...instead of letting the water ballast in, take a 250hp Mercury aboard, squeeze it down the companionway, and cut a neat little propellor-sized hole in the vicinity of the centreboard slot, so the o/b can be mounted in the cabin.

With the hatches shut, the exhaust noise ought to be several decibels less. And the MacGregor can finally do something properly! :D

If you really want a nice Macgegor 26 there's one for sale here for only £10,000,000. Quite nice in a Bling sort of way I thought.

ARCO7

Visit site
Name for my new Macgregor 26

I shall be very sad to eventually see my trusted FISHER go but will be naming her replacement "SO FAR " and for tax reasons registering her in CORFU .
So if one summer in Studland Bay you see a MaG 26 anchored close inshore , with this painted in large letters on her Port and Starboard quarters ,perhaps you MaG 26 haters and also the Career Conservationists will get the message :

Last edited:

Cruiser2B

Visit site
But as MacGregor seem actually to recommend motoring with empty tanks...

No - they actually recommend motoring with a full ballast tank. Copied from the manual:
THE WATER BALLAST TANK SHOULD BE FULL
WHEN EITHER POWERING OR SAILING.
IF THE BALLAST TANK IS NOT COMPLETELY FULL,
THE BOAT IS NOT SELF RIGHTING. (IF YOU CHOOSE
TO OPERATE THE BOAT WITH AN EMPTY TANK, SEE
THE SECTION ON OPERATING THE BOAT WITHOUT
WATER BALLAST.)

It goes on to allow motoring with an empty ballast tank, but gives a load of conditions and restrictions, all on page one - see for yourself:

http://www.macgregor26.com/instruction_manual/OWNERS INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

dancrane

Visit site
They're not exactly absolute, about discouraging use of the boat without ballast. Not surprising then, that owners have discovered the hard way, where the Mac26's stability ends.

bljones

docksixchronicles.blogspot.com
Personally, I have an instinctive disdain for water-ballast boats- I can't get past my misgivings about adding water to the inside of a boat on purpose. It just seems to make all the work I go through to seal the through-hulls and rebed all the fittings seem meaningless.

bljones

docksixchronicles.blogspot.com
All this healthy to and fro on the MacGregor 26 makes me think of one word: Velveeta.

Lots of Americans grow up and grow old, believing Velveeta is the start and end of cheese. Velveeta is a processed dairy product, sharing certain characteristics with cheese.
Who, whoa whoa... should one who lives in the land of FB pies and Marmite really be casting aspersions on the processed food options available elsewhere?

And don't get me started on the Blight from Blighty, the gift that just keeps bloody giving- fruitcake. Seriously? THAT is something you want on your permanent record, under "contributions to cuisine"?

And mincemeat, which is neither minced, nor meat. Discuss.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Who, whoa whoa... should one who lives in the land of FB pies and Marmite really be casting aspersions on the processed food options available elsewhere?

And don't get me started on the Blight from Blighty, the gift that just keeps bloody giving- fruitcake. Seriously? THAT is something you want on your permanent record, under "contributions to cuisine"?

Coming from a nation which brought the world such dishes as cod tongues with scrunchions, poutine, and flipper pie, that's a trifle unkind.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
Marmite

who yourself jonesy

marmite and fb pies do not count as processed foods

wholesome straight off the farm they are

as for fruit cake....

our empire was built on the stuff

I have already reported you to the admin for being a troll

tread carefully my friend or we will be coming over and asking for our territory back

Dylan

Lakesailor

Visit site
It's probably just a mistranslation from English English to American English.

I expect he thinks Kendal Mint Cake is some kind of cake as well.

Cruiser2B

Visit site
Coming from a nation which brought the world such dishes as cod tongues with scrunchions, poutine, and flipper pie, that's a trifle unkind.

Poutine comes from the nation of Quebec and the others hail from Newfoundland, but have been around since before it entered confederation; when it was still a British colony. You'll have to dig a lot deeper to find real Canadian cuisine ;)

dancrane

Visit site
I can remember, when all this was just SAILING questions...

And mincemeat, which is neither minced, nor meat. Discus.

Marmite is indeed a dark stain on our culinary repertoire, though admitting it is asking for more furious threads on the forum.

"...neither minced, nor meat. Discus."
Is this a reference to Jason Tunks? Is he coming to London 2012, to 'taste the Marmite', as it's known? (Suggestive sniggers and winks).

I really thought you over-49ers consumed nothing but bacon and CC whisky (or whiskey, according to references, which is it?). :D

Last edited:

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
The thing about Canadian food.... is that we take the basics.... and then do it properly.

So, Proper Pancakes with sliced Bananas or strawberries, whipped cream and maple syrup.... (at IHOP or Smitty's..)

Proper Steaks.... Eggs Benedict.... Back Bacon.....

In fact... Breakfast is really our specialty. English Breakfast is second rate swill floating in grease in comparison to the delicacies available at most decent Voyaguer restaurants...