Lulworth firing ranges

Evadne

Visit site
Or listen to the Radio Solent weather and shipping information broadcasts for firing details on the day. (No firing at weekends, or during August).

<hr width=100% size=1>

OldGaffer

Visit site
I think it would be a good idea to make public the times of live firing at MoD/DERA ranges and establishments so that those of a nervous disposition do not suffer from the effects of loud bangs and explosions.

Several times when sailing midweek along the lower Crouch some of my guest crew members have almost fallen overboard from the shock of some of the mega blasts from Foulness Island. Even I have to admit steering a rather erratic course after be startled by some of the bigger bangs ( and we are talking serious eruptions here).

MoD/DERA do of course run up red flags along the river bank when ever live firing is in progress, but you never know if it is going to be a timid test thud or a mighty mega blockbuster.

Perhaps there ought to be a flag warning system along the lines of a Beaufort Scale.

One flag.. for a whimper (slight tingling in ears and small puff of smoke)
Two flags.. for dull thud (ringing in ears and small plume of smoke)
Three flags..slight blast (throbbing in ears and clouds of smoke)
Four flags... big blast (ears sting, shrouds tremble, smoke engulfs boat)
Five flags....total eruption ( crew fall overboard, yacht swamped by tidal wave, sun obliterated)

<hr width=100% size=1>

OldGaffer

Visit site
Must stop sitting at this computer. No chance of getting afloat this week, so shall retire to garden to enjoy the sunshine and do some splicing.

Will splice mainbrace when sun is slightly further over the yardarm. Although it is perfectly possible to move the yardarm an hour forward.

cheers

OG

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
ah but once close to the flags, too late to run away back the peace and quiet of the garden? Much better to stay in the nice garden. I hope there aren't too many annoying flies or (horror) a wasp to disturb your afternoon.

<hr width=100% size=1>

TroyTempest

Visit site
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Dstl the solely MoD owned bit, and QinetiQ the bit for privatisation, bought by Carlyle.

<hr></blockquote>

Whose European Chairman is non other than our ex PM, John Major!!!

TT - In "Conspiracy" mode!

<hr width=100% size=1>

tony_brighton

Visit site
That would seem to be a NO. Like you I've tried many times to find a website. Wouldn't have thought it beyond the wit of our highly advanced defence forces to whip up a website with the info on.

Planning on passing that way this weekend so I'll be keen to see if they are firing. Given its mid-summer you'd think they would have the brains to avoid a hot weekend.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Solitaire

Visit site
You say there is no firing at weekends - this is not true, they do do w/e firing both I and Brendan S have first hand expereince.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: land for the boys

not mention all the land that DERA had

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>if guinness is good for you. i must be very very good</font color=red>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Once had fun with Lulworth Firing range. Cruising along from Poole, lovely sunny day, got close to Lulwoth and hit a bank of fog, thick, like pea soup. So switched on radar and ambled along slowly. Next theres a blob, dead ahead. So turned to starboard. So it turned same way. Then I turned to port, He did same thing. It was eary playing cat and mouse in the thick fog. Eventualy I gave it the slip by doing a complete circle, then heading out to sea, then circling round. After a bit we were in glorious sunshine again and theres this Firing range boat. So I radioed to him to ask if it was ok to cross the range. No wonder he was puzzled. He was the boat at the other end!! I'd been so bussy shaking off his mate at the other end. I'd totaly forgot about the range!!

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue>No one can force me to come here.<font color=red> I'm a volunteer!!.<font color=blue>

Haydn