Oil change penta Md31a

morris6345

Visit site
Hi all, this is my first post. Having a problem with completing the engine oil change on my MD31A. The spec shows it should have 9 litres of oil. I've tried to remove the oil via the dip stick and the oil removal pipe that is at the rear of the engine. However I've only managed to get about 4.5 litres of oil out. The pipe I used down the dip stick is now sucking air and so is the oil pipe. It suggests it's empty but it can't be unless I have got the specs wrong. There appears to be no other places to drain the oil. The dip stick shows a touch of oil on the very end of the stick. Can anyone advise.

Plum

Visit site
Hi all, this is my first post. Having a problem with completing the engine oil change on my MD31A. The spec shows it should have 9 litres of oil. I've tried to remove the oil via the dip stick and the oil removal pipe that is at the rear of the engine. However I've only managed to get about 4.5 litres of oil out. The pipe I used down the dip stick is now sucking air and so is the oil pipe. It suggests it's empty but it can't be unless I have got the specs wrong. There appears to be no other places to drain the oil. The dip stick shows a touch of oil on the very end of the stick. Can anyone advise.
You are right, the manual says "Oil volume, max. incl. oil filter, engine inclination 0°. is 9 litre", however it also says "Volume between max - min at 0° engine inclination. = 3 litre" and the oil filter may hold half a litre........... ?

My 41 is quoted at 11 litres but I only ever get 8 or 9 out of the sump of mine on an oil change even if the level on the dipstick is close to MAX before I start.

Also, not an uncommon question:- volvo 2030 Oil Capacity

Last edited:

morris6345

Visit site
You are right, the manual says "Oil volume, max. incl. oil filter, engine inclination 0°. is 9 litre", however it also says "Volume between max - min at 0° engine inclination. = 3 litre" and the oil filter may hold half a litre........... ?

My 41 is quoted at 11 litres but I only ever get 8 or 9 out of the sump of mine on an oil change even if the level on the dipstick is close to MAX before I start.

Also, not an uncommon question:- volvo 2030 Oil Capacity
So based on that, do you think I've got all I'm likely to get. Which is about 4.5 litres. I've just changed the oil filter as well which did have quite a bit in. I'm think just top up now with fresh.

Plum

Visit site
So based on that, do you think I've got all I'm likely to get. Which is about 4.5 litres. I've just changed the oil filter as well which did have quite a bit in. I'm think just top up now with fresh.
Can't say for sure but it sounds as if you have done as much as possible to get it all out. I usually fill the filter with as much new oil as possible before fitting it. Let us know how much new oil you put in once you have the dipstick on max after a short run then 15 mins to settle.

morris6345

Visit site
Can't say for sure but it sounds as if you have done as much as possible to get it all out. I usually fill the filter with as much new oil as possible before fitting it. Let us know how much new oil you put in once you have the dipstick on max after a short run then 15 mins to settle.
Will do. Thank you for the advice.