Lombardini Diesel

bilgola

Northern Beaches of Sydney, NSW, Australia
www.rtohelp.com.au
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and wondered if anyone out there could help me. I have an old timber 26 foot Halvorsen cruiser. She's considered a classic in this part of the world. The thing is that her original engine (Chrysler Ace, petrol) is starting to become less reliable and I'm looking for an alternative diesel replacement.

There are plenty of possibilities that I know about, Yanmar, Kubota etc but they all mean we would have to raise the engine hatch (floor) level. Don't want to do that

We recently came across a 40HP Lombardini that fits the bill perfectly its the right size and well priced. Trouble is I've never heard of them before in Australia. They are said to be very big in Europe (made in Italy) but not much is known about it here in Oz. Can anyone help me with an opinion here. Any thoughts would be most welcome

Regards,

Mike

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
We used to have a single pot Lombardini in an angling boat. Great little put put solid as a rock. It was hand start, I think it started life as a mixer engine which some one mated to a marine box (had an identical box on the petter that was in Top Cat). My dad bought it new as it was the cheapest available small engine at the time, but price was where the cheapness ended.

My experience was of a great engine that never failed me once.

I think they make tractors and plant machinery as their main business.

boatmike

Visit site
They are in fact a quite large and reputable company and there is nothing at all wrong with them. The engines have never been a market leader in the marine sector but that does not mean there is anything wrong with them. They have a very big OEM business and their engines are used for generator sets, agricultural use, plant and equipment, and even large lawn mowers. They do a range of very small diesels for various uses too. I would look at the spares supply situation which I don't think is a problem but you would need to make sure. They certainly have coverage for spares in the UK and across the USA where they are very big.
Otherwise if it looks good for the price and fits OK go for it!

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day Bilgola,

Welcome to the YBW forums, a great site for all sorts of boating advice.

I'm also in Oz and can tell you there are lots of Lombardini engines all over place, most in mobile welding machines and lighting plants.

Sorry to hear the old Haversen has an engine problem, I saw a Lombardini engine in a 30 foot Holland yacht some years ago now, seemed pretty good, we were relocating it for her owner from Cairns to Mackay.

If you are considering a second hand diesel engine avoid one that was removed some time ago. They don't like standing idle with no fuel and no oil movement for extended time frames.

Have a listen to a Yanmar engine running, it has a very distinct exhaust sound that would suit any classic boat.

Avagoodweekend......

AOWYN

www.clinksystems.com
I'm not trying to spread gloom, but two friends with Lombardini engines have had horrendous experiences with spare parts supplies from Italy to the UK. Mayeb just a case of a problem with the UK importer which might not apply in Australia, but in one case the "friend" was a major industrial equipment manufacturer who was using Lombardini's in some equipment and their story was just as bad as the lone boat owner whose engine stood idle for over six months of frustrated phone calls and broken promises.

I am sure that plenty of other people will give you good reports, I am only passing on what I know.

Good luck

DaCostaGreene

www.mcproducts.net
As a non-biased ex-employee of the importers of Lombardini marine engines, I can quite honestly say that the engines are hard as a rock, if not the most reliable engine in the world, pretty close to it, they are light, quiet, sound fantastic, have excellent torque rating high and low revs - they look pretty too

savageseadog

Visit site
lombardini are well regarded engines in the Plant and Industrial field, equal to Yanmar and Kubota. Should have no problem with a properly installed unit.

Spares could be a problem, I agree, though.

spannerman

Visit site
I have installed quite a few in slow heavy 20 28ft displacement boats and the owners loved them, very smooth, quiet and reliable with good torque.

ironmaiden

Visit site
I am interested in these diesel's and i've looked at the web site but there is no mention of a marine application, do you have to marinise them your self or do they come ready done with a gear box.

ironmaiden

Visit site
Thanks Michael, i thought it was just me missing something like a "marine" link on the web site.
I'll search the net and see what I can come up with,
Regards rachel.

bilgola

www.rtohelp.com.au
Hi All,
Many thanks for all your comments which largely support the way we are feeling. I re-engined a yacht about 15 years ago now with a Nanni. At that time they weren't very well known in this country. Luckily for me the distributor did a good job and they are now one of the leading brands with a good supply of spares and support service (at least in NSW). The story could go the same way with the Lombardini but now that I'm a little wiser I'm nor sure i want to take a punt with so many other established brands to choose from.
We do have time on our side because we want to get at least another year out of the the old Chrysler. So, if the Lombardini sells a truck load between now and then we may jump on the bandwagon?

Again many thanks for your input. I must say this is seems to be one of the best forums I've seen so I'll tune in from time to time and hope to be able to contribute something worthwhile.

Regards,

Mike

bilgola

www.rtohelp.com.au
[ QUOTE ]
I have installed quite a few in slow heavy 20 28ft displacement boats and the owners loved them, very smooth, quiet and reliable with good torque.

[/ QUOTE ]

We would be looking at the 40HP which we think should be adequate for our 26 footer. What do you think? I am also interested in the noise factor. The salesman emphasised that they are quiet but we havent heard one running yet...and of course he would be expected to say that.

bilgola

www.rtohelp.com.au
[ QUOTE ]
How much power is required? The Diecon 38hp Kubota based item is 620mm overall height - quite a bit less than average.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are looking at the Diecon also but my understanding is that these engines are sourced in Asia (low usage models) and then marinised by Daicon, so they are used engines. I'm not clear if they are reconditioned at the same time.
We are looking for something around the 40HP mark

Mike

bilgola

www.rtohelp.com.au
[ QUOTE ]

G'day Bilgola,

Welcome to the YBW forums, a great site for all sorts of boating advice.

I'm also in Oz and can tell you there are lots of Lombardini engines all over place, most in mobile welding machines and lighting plants.

Sorry to hear the old Haversen has an engine problem, I saw a Lombardini engine in a 30 foot Holland yacht some years ago now, seemed pretty good, we were relocating it for her owner from Cairns to Mackay.

If you are considering a second hand diesel engine avoid one that was removed some time ago. They don't like standing idle with no fuel and no oil movement for extended time frames.

Have a listen to a Yanmar engine running, it has a very distinct exhaust sound that would suit any classic boat.

Avagoodweekend......

[/ QUOTE ]

Stangely enough a Lomardini engine appeared in a boat we have listed this week but its the only one I have ever seen in a boat. The Yanmar has to be up there for quality, quantity and reputation its just that the Lombardini is cheaper and smaller which makes it very tempting.

Mike

spannerman

Visit site
40 Hp should be enough for your boat. the engines are very quiet as the camshaft is up in the head and operates not only the valves but also the injectors which each have their own injection individual pump, so all the whizzy, noisy bits are inside the engine.