Lofrans Royal manual windlass

SeaMark

Visit site
Ours came with the boat. At the start of each season I try it once or twice but always give up as it is useslessly slow - approx 1" chain recovered per stroke. Are they really like this or is there a problem?

C

catalac08

Not sure if you mean 1 inch or 1 foot per stroke but mine does about 12 inches per stroke or about 2 feet per complete double stroke as it lifts on the stroke and return. I find mine excellent although a little slow to get up but it does have very good lifting capability.

VO5

Visit site
They are all like this. I bring my chain on board by hand.
The idea is probably for use with the warping drum rather than the chainwheel. But I am surprised a separate gear has not been incorporated into the design for faster lifting of ground tackle.

SeaMark

Visit site
Thanks catalac08, 12" per stroke is quite an improvement on what I am getting. Most of us would lose patience even with that I guess. So in reality the manual windlass it is only suitable for difficult lifts...

rivonia

Visit site
We had the same result, very slow and seems to take forever and ever. So we sold it and bought an electric one... The difference is unbeleivable. We still lower the anchor by hand but use the power to quickly bring it up. We can still use the manual up lift if we feel very energetic or the batteries go flat.

Fair winds

Peter

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Whats the hurry Guys? So what if it takes a minute to raise 10 metres of chain. Its better than flattening your battery every time you weigh anchor and good exercise too. SWMBO spends a fortune at the gym for a workout like that. Lofrans Royal rules!

Blueboatman

Visit site
Maybe of interest?

Seamark, apologies if this sounds like a hustle/hijack, it is not. More an early "Heads Up''.

I have a brand new and receipted lofrans Cayman 1000w winch sitting in the garage which I must get round to advertising properly.

It was my one expensive refit 'mistake' as I ended up buying its larger sister the Tigres.

It has to go, not a silly offer but a very very good discount of around 40% is what i have in mind, and I hate Ebay/Ebay toils and timewasters !

SeaMark

Visit site
Hi Blueboatman - sounds like it will be more than 5 bob despite the generous 40% discount. A Cayman won't fit unfortunately as current location is on a shelf in anchor locker (Starlight 35). Dreaming of the push button luxury though....

SeaMark

Visit site
We had the same result, very slow and seems to take forever and ever. So we sold it and bought an electric one... The difference is unbeleivable. We still lower the anchor by hand but use the power to quickly bring it up. We can still use the manual up lift if we feel very energetic or the batteries go flat.

Fair winds

Peter

You certainly have the right idea! All I need is to find a buyer for my current conversation piece to ease the £ pain of trading up. Factoring-in the cost of new calibrated chain is a hidden cost of course.

Are there any strong views in the forum on good buys/reliability etc? I read somewhere once that most electric windlasses wear-out their reduction drive very quickly?