Leisure 17

G

We are looking to purchase a starter sailing boat and have seen a Leisure 17 for sale. Can anybody give us some advice on whether this is suitable as a first boat for novice sailors.

G

Excellent little starter boat, and whats more they sail extreemly well, very responsive - almost like a dingy, get it you will have lots of fun, and good sailing.

G

If you are going to start off in a boat with a lid then the Leisure 17 is an excellent choice. No lid then the Wayfarer is very hard to beat. Good luck.

G

Superb little boat - had one for three seasons.

Simple rig - easy to handle - decent weekend accommodation for her size. Who could ask for more?

My only comments are: 1. It may have been me ...!? but sailing into the wind I found that when she hit a head sea of any height she just about stopped. Planning a sail to windward was more dependant on the height of the sea than the wind. 2. When well heeled I found that the occasional wave would get under the windward bilge keel. The first time it happened the "thump" sounded like hitting an oil drum but you get used to it (plus I used it as an indicator that it was probably time to take in some sail). 3. Get a decent sized outboard (6HP minimum). I used a 4HP Johnson and found it a bit undersized for sailing in and around the Humber area. It would just about stem the tide in the river on a Spring ebb. It was a bit un-nerving at times trying (and sometimes failing) to make Ferriby Sluice with "zero spare power" in hand.

Having said all that, we (self, wife, two children and a bull-terrier dog) enjoyed three seasons on her. It was only when the kids started to grow like weeds that we decided a Liesure 23 might be more suitable.

Buy and enjoy.

Best regards :eek:))

IanD

G

I agree with the other comments. Our first boat was a Leisure 17 and we loved it. We hated our second boat and if we hadn't had the Leisure first, we might have given up sailing. They're lovely, easy to sail, easy to rig, easy to tow and launch and quite reassuring. -Go for it!

G

Probably the best singlehander I've ever owned. Mast was light enough to cast off from the stem, drop it over my shoulder, 'shoot' the bridge at Newhaven and hoist again unaided on the other side. Got a round of applause for that once from onlookers!. Rab.

G

look at a Vivacity 20

For my first boat I looked at L 17 too. Then I found a Vivacity 20. Tonnes more space down below. There is a floor too, instead of standing on the inside of the hull - good insulation and looks better too. Loads more to say, but have a look for yourself