JPK 39FC

doris

Visit site
A gantry with solar is v v heavy so will have a couple of solar panels on the coach roof. Lithium batteries. Maybe a fuel cell but no Watt and Sea at the mom. Expensive and probably unnecessary I suspect. The D130 has a big alternator, I’ll see how things pan out.
Big decisions this week are about the bow thruster and the power winch.
Am due down at the yard on Thursday for further conversations.
Keel- standard, bedrooms- 3, rig- permanent staysail, are sorted.

Numbers

Visit site
Getting exciting now!

Looking forward to hearing your Bow Thruster solution ... and if you will have an electric winch or not (they aren't cheap).

D130 ... so you are sticking with the standard Volvo? Any particular reason you are going Volvo and not the more powerful Nanni?

Also very interested in pro's/con's of the permanent staysail versus the removable staysail.

doris

Visit site
Getting exciting now!

Looking forward to hearing your Bow Thruster solution ... and if you will have an electric winch or not (they aren't cheap).

D130 ... so you are sticking with the standard Volvo? Any particular reason you are going Volvo and not the more powerful Nanni?

Also very interested in pro's/con's of the permanent staysail versus the removable staysail.
The smallest side power thruster is too big so it will have to be a Lewmar, who have no dealer network and spares can take ages but unlike Flamming I don't often have a harem to help on take off and landing. Shorthanded or solo I suspect will be cheaper in the long run.

The power winch I am still pondering. With a fully battened main creating much less friction than sliders it will probably be over kill but we'll see.

On my 8 ton plus Dehler 39 a D130 was fine, can't see a need for any more, its not a motor sailer. Will be talking about getting a credit on the folding two bladed prop and getting a three bladed feather stream.

re the staysail. JPK are emphatic that the staysail will be used a lot, and be quick. Even racing, high teens of wind and it will be main and staysail.

The electronics will be interesting. Has to be B&G cos there's no support for NKE over here so am getting all Triton edge with a Raymarine linear drive and Zeus 3s, Echomax reflector and ICOM vhf. Need to be sure that they are full agents for warranty purposes, otherwise it might be worth the £1,500 or so to get a UK outfit to fit everything.
Finding space to up the battery bank to 400ah might be tricky but working on it. Also I will have a chat about fuel cells.

Will be talking to them about 2 or 4 kw heating. The smaller ducting of the two is good and I preimarily use it for drying the boat rather than romantic nights.

Main, genoa and staysail will probably come from Incidences D4 Premium Offshore with Pete Sanders doing the kites and zero.
The rig is Soromap, of whom I no experience but three reefs, coming to the cockpit, it will be. Will be looking at halyard arrangements this week.

And Flaming, I have made a note about the 1085, I'll tell them you're in the market.

dunedin

Visit site
The smallest side power thruster is too big so it will have to be a Lewmar, who have no dealer network and spares can take ages but unlike Flamming I don't often have a harem to help on take off and landing. Shorthanded or solo I suspect will be cheaper in the long run.

The power winch I am still pondering. With a fully battened main creating much less friction than sliders it will probably be over kill but we'll see.

On my 8 ton plus Dehler 39 a D130 was fine, can't see a need for any more, its not a motor sailer. Will be talking about getting a credit on the folding two bladed prop and getting a three bladed feather stream.

re the staysail. JPK are emphatic that the staysail will be used a lot, and be quick. Even racing, high teens of wind and it will be main and staysail.

The electronics will be interesting. Has to be B&G cos there's no support for NKE over here so am getting all Triton edge with a Raymarine linear drive and Zeus 3s, Echomax reflector and ICOM vhf. Need to be sure that they are full agents for warranty purposes, otherwise it might be worth the £1,500 or so to get a UK outfit to fit everything.
Finding space to up the battery bank to 400ah might be tricky but working on it. Also I will have a chat about fuel cells.

Will be talking to them about 2 or 4 kw heating. The smaller ducting of the two is good and I preimarily use it for drying the boat rather than romantic nights.

Main, genoa and staysail will probably come from Incidences D4 Premium Offshore with Pete Sanders doing the kites and zero.
The rig is Soromap, of whom I no experience but three reefs, coming to the cockpit, it will be. Will be looking at halyard arrangements this week.

And Flaming, I have made a note about the 1085, I'll tell them you're in the market.
As said before, you will not regret having one power winch. Used ours today to help out when all got a bit fruity when wind went from 6 knots from behind to 20+ from dead ahead and needing reef in fast.
Ditto a retractable bow thruster.

r_h

www.rupertholmes.co.uk
Agree with this: upwind it makes it easy to shorten sail in increasing breeze, while maintaining efficient sail shape. The staysail is also helpful when power reaching, in effect reducing weather helm in gusts and therefore making the boat easier to steer (whether by a human driver or pilot) and more comfortable. In cruising terms this is perhaps more important than the approx 0.4 knot speed boost it will give

Zing

Visit site
There’s also Max Power for retractable bow thrusters. I have one and it’s pretty good. They should have one that is suitable. The 150 for example should be an option.

doris

Visit site
There’s also Max Power for retractable bow thrusters. I have one and it’s pretty good. They should have one that is suitable. The 150 for example should be an option.
If I go for a thruster it will be the new generation Lewmar and I’ll anticipate a problem sometime in the future. I deffo wouldn’t bother if I was always going to be 3 plus on board but that often won’t be the case.
Learning curves are all the rage I’m told.
The other decision at the mom is whether to get a powered halyard winch.

michael_w

Visit site
I'd go for the power winch. A non-tiring source of grunt can prove very useful. Sending people up the rig, hauling the boat alongside when you've mucked up the approach, etc. As well as hoisting the mainsail especially after shaking out a reef.

My boat has powered primaries. Necessary because of the horrendous friction in the system.