JPK 39FC

doris

Visit site
Does anyone have first hand experience of JPK’s lifting keels???
Am looking v closely at these and any input would be much appreciated.

michael_w

Visit site
There's a guy on Sailing Anarchy who's posted quite a bit about the JPK39FC, He's also posted on Youtube.

Laser310

Visit site
I don't think any 39's have come on to the brokerage market yet.

I have seen one or two of the older 38's in the last two years.

I think they both were private sale situations - not listed with a broker. I guess there is not much reason to pay a broker to sell one of these, as potential buyers know where to look and will find them.

The JPK website lists available used boats - I think it's a service to owners, not a brokerage arrangement, and I imagine nearly anyone who might buy one of these knows to look there.

Apparently, the 39 is a substantially larger boat than the 38.

I would guess that the wait for a new boat is pretty long - a few years?

Last edited:

doris

Visit site
In autumn 2022, the wait was 3 years. But they were hoping to speed up production.....
The initial quote was a 3 1/2 year wait for a 39, 2 years for a 45.
I have been offered a slot next winter for a march delivery for a 39 so am going to the yard in a couple of weeks to see if I want to go further. In the meantime I’m watching Cyclops Sailing on YouTube.
Maybe, maybe not, we’ll see. All about SKI isn't it. Can’t take it with you.

doris

Visit site
I'm not going with a lifting keel but I have now signed a contract for an April 25 completion. Might be December 24, time will tell. Gives me this summer to unload the curent jeanneau and get excited about going fast again.
Loads of decisions to make about rig, sails, elecs, sails, etc etc. Male retail thereapy huh!

flaming

Visit site
That's fabulous news, congratulations!

I think the best advice about rig and sails would be to listen to mr JPK!

doris

Visit site
That's fabulous news, congratulations!

I think the best advice about rig and sails would be to listen to mr JPK!
Indeed. Have already had long chats with Jean Pierre and Jean Baptiste. I'm getting there.
Will be backout at the factory soon.

Laser310

Visit site
I'm not going with a lifting keel but I have now signed a contract for an April 25 completion. Might be December 24, time will tell. Gives me this summer to unload the curent jeanneau and get excited about going fast again.
Loads of decisions to make about rig, sails, elecs, sails, etc etc. Male retail thereapy huh!
congratulations!

i am assuming you managed to get on one for a look 'round - did you also get to go for a sail?

doris

Visit site
congratulations!

i am assuming you managed to get on one for a look 'round - did you also get to go for a sail?
Didn't go for a sail, it was blowing 50 kts! But did have a serious look at how they build and the whole operation.
Have also had words with various repairers over here and they get a very positve review.

doris

Visit site
^^^^Excited for you! Did you go 1.8m or 2.15m, on the fixed keel, in the end?
That is my biggest decision still to be made.
It will be three beds. No bow thruster, the mechanisn is too unreliable but might go with a Jet thruster micro, permanent staysail, standard 30 hp motor and two bladed prop.
Just have to ponder on the keel. That's a tricky one. Am leaning towards the 1.8 at the mom. The performance will still be spectactular with a lower rating and the easier access is significant. The 1.8 is an L keel, the 2.15 is a T. The righting moment is the same with both, the 1.8 being 350kg heavier which on a 5 1/2 ton boat is significant but.......

Chatting around, JPK and Pogo seem to have the best rep for boat engineering at the mom. Pogo don't make anything I want but the 39FC seems like a stunning quick cruiser compromise. Might rethink the masthead asym kites, 138sq m, a tad frighening, and go for fractional but will with chat to the designers on that.
A summer of thought ahead.

flaming

Visit site
That is my biggest decision still to be made.
It will be three beds. No bow thruster, the mechanisn is too unreliable but might go with a Jet thruster micro, permanent staysail, standard 30 hp motor and two bladed prop.
Just have to ponder on the keel. That's a tricky one. Am leaning towards the 1.8 at the mom. The performance will still be spectactular with a lower rating and the easier access is significant. The 1.8 is an L keel, the 2.15 is a T. The righting moment is the same with both, the 1.8 being 350kg heavier which on a 5 1/2 ton boat is significant but.......

Chatting around, JPK and Pogo seem to have the best rep for boat engineering at the mom. Pogo don't make anything I want but the 39FC seems like a stunning quick cruiser compromise. Might rethink the masthead asym kites, 138sq m, a tad frighening, and go for fractional but will with chat to the designers on that.
A summer of thought ahead.
Definitely don't skimp on the kite. A smaller code type fractional would be a good addition, but I think you'd regret not having a big one. Being able to jump up on the plane with the wind still in the teens is pretty magical.

If you fancy a joyride in a smaller sister at some point this summer drop me a line.

dunedin

Visit site
…………No bow thruster, the mechanisn is too unreliable but might go with a Jet thruster micro, …..
What bow thruster system do they fit that is “too unreliable”?

Clearly want a retractable one on a boat like this, but loads of X-Yachts, Arcona, Maxi - as well as many Hanse, Jeaneau etc - seem to manage with retractable bow thrusters which work well. They also give better leverage as deeper than in tunnel ones.

doris

Visit site
What bow thruster system do they fit that is “too unreliable”?

Clearly want a retractable one on a boat like this, but loads of X-Yachts, Arcona, Maxi - as well as many Hanse, Jeaneau etc - seem to manage with retractable bow thrusters which work well. They also give better leverage as deeper than in tunnel ones.
I’m not aware of thr make but the drop down mechanism is considered unreliable. I currently have a tunnel thruster,👍👍, but have had words with some repair outfits over here and the drop downs don’t get a good press.
I’m not trying to controversial but I won’t be having a drop down.

r_h

www.rupertholmes.co.uk
I have now signed a contract for an April 25 completion.
Brilliant - I sailed the prototype for a Yachting World test - still reckon it's one of the two best boats I've tested in the last five years.
As Flaming says don't skimp on big kites for light airs VMG - you can pack it away before things get too exciting. In any case a boat light enough for apparent wind sailing always gives the option of sailing deep to get out of trouble if you keep it up for too long in a rising breeze

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Definitely don't skimp on the kite. A smaller code type fractional would be a good addition, but I think you'd regret not having a big one. Being able to jump up on the plane with the wind still in the teens is pretty magical.

If you fancy a joyride in a smaller sister at some point this summer drop me a line.
Does the boat require that? We have a fractional 65m asymmetric, plane at 10kn of wind, and are scared shitless by it at 15kn. If we’re 2 up, that thing is in it’s snuffer at 13kn. We weigh 2000kg. The code sail is considerably more manageable. The kite only gets a serious outing with a race crew on board.