It's official we can now go sailing again!

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I should have thought that hearing the prime minister and the Deputy PM saying that from Wednesday you can drive as far as you like for your exercise should be a pretty compellingly reasonable excuse for the journey? If it counts for nowt then how can anything else they say carry any weight at all?

Exercise, yes maybe perhaps, but nothing (so far and i live in hope) to change the position on maintenance or staying on board overnight

And anytime sailing becomes exercise, as far as I'm concerned I'm doing it wrong :D #lazysailor

Lucky Duck

Visit site
Guidance published by the Hamble HM on Facebook in the last hour....
View attachment 90033

Marinas, yards, clubs etc will probably be slower to react given they have to implement a H&S regime for operations

I find that last sentence rather odd, will they chase after anybody who ventures into Southampton Water - perhaps never to return?

Presumably their jurisdiction ends around the Hamble Spit Cardinal mark?

Brooksie89

Visit site
If you go and sail, you're exercising which is allowed. If you're not going to sail you aren't exercising which is not allowed.

So RHHA are happy for people to visit their boats as long as they break the law.

That is mental.

Assuming the whatever changes need to be made are made by Wednesday, what laws are being broken?

Lucky Duck

Visit site
I see Lymington Harbour Commissionaires are saying they are waiting for further guidance to be issued tomorrow before making a decision, although in all fairness they have not stopped people for carrying out checks in the way RHHA had.

stranded

Visit site
Sutton Harbour Marina has said it will review its policy once it get guidance from the I trade association. So far I think it has handled things sensibly and I havent asked for or expected any discount. But I will be reviewing my policy very quickly indeed on Wednesday and expect to be seeking compensation if any delay in reviewing their policy results in them restricting my use of my boat when the government is OK about it. But I expect they’ll do the right thing.

Mark-1

Visit site
Assuming the whatever changes need to be made are made by Wednesday, what laws are being broken?

It's pretty clear exercise will still be reasonable excuse after Wednesday.

I've seen no evidence that "looking at your boat" will be reasonable excuse after Wednesday.

My amusement isn't at the idea that visiting the boat will be illegal after Wednesday more that RHHA is banning the thing that is certainly legal while allowing the thing that might be just about legal after Wednesday if you squint a bit.

Last edited:

SimonFa

Visit site
I imagine they've been enjoying the peace and quiet from all those pesky pleasure craft and don't want to let them back on :LOL:

I imagine Solent Coastguard will be dreading the return of all those who seem incapable of going on te water without a radio check.
I should have thought that hearing the prime minister and the Deputy PM saying that from Wednesday you can drive as far as you like for your exercise should be a pretty compellingly reasonable excuse for the journey? If it counts for nowt then how can anything else they say carry any weight at all?
We are governed by the rule of law and until Parliament changes the law and Minister use secondary legislation to amend regulations ministerial announcements mean nothing.

Brooksie89

Visit site
It's pretty clear exercise will still be reasonable excuse after Wednesday.

I've seen no evidence that "looking at your boat" will be reasonable excuse after Wednesday.

Well look at it this way. From Wednesday (if the changes are made): Unlimited exercise? yes. Drive wherever you want to exercise? yes, Walking count as exercise? Yes.

Again, if the changes are made on Wednesday, you are allowed outside of your home for an indefinite period of time, you can drive as far as you want, to partake in activities as benign as walking. You would be hard pressed to argue you can't go sailing, visit your boat for maintenance etc from Wednesday onwards.

Lucky Duck

Visit site
I imagine Solent Coastguard will be dreading the return of all those who seem incapable of going on te water without a radio check.

We are governed by the rule of law and until Parliament changes the law and Minister use secondary legislation to amend regulations ministerial announcements mean nothing.

Unfortunately some seem to think we are ruled by ministerial decree, including some police forces :mad:

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Sutton Harbour Marina has said it will review its policy once it get guidance from the I trade association. So far I think it has handled things sensibly and I havent asked for or expected any discount. But I will be reviewing my policy very quickly indeed on Wednesday and expect to be seeking compensation if any delay in reviewing their policy results in them restricting my use of my boat when the government is OK about it. But I expect they’ll do the right thing.

I spoke to them (SH) on Friday asking about a contractor being able to work on my boat.. I was told that if I considered it essential and the contractor followed social distancing rules, then that was ok. Seemed pretty sensible to me.
I am planning on visiting my boat later this week but not planning on taking her out of the marina for a while yet until the situation becomes clearer.

jac

Visit site
Well look at it this way. From Wednesday (if the changes are made): Unlimited exercise? yes. Drive wherever you want to exercise? yes, Walking count as exercise? Yes.

Again, if the changes are made on Wednesday, you are allowed outside of your home for an indefinite period of time, you can drive as far as you want, to partake in activities as benign as walking. You would be hard pressed to argue you can't go sailing, visit your boat for maintenance etc from Wednesday onwards.
To that list you should also add angling - sat on your bum by a lake or sunbathing as acceptable from Wednesday . So yes i'm certain that sailing / maintenance etc within your own family group is fine. ( and DIY has been fine for weeks as B&Q will testify)

As to the Wednesday bit - people need to remember that the decision was made at the top of government and announced yesterday - the guidance ( 50 pages long apparently) was issued at 2pm today and will be discussed in the house. Once that is done, trade associations and other bodies will examine the actual guidance against draft versions and ensure that their own revised guidance that they may have been working on last week is still fit for purpose. SO Harbours , boatyards etc will be able to update their own rules from later today onwards. That doesn't mean that they all will finish it today as i would expect there to be trickle down effect e.g. Trade body ( e.g. British Marine) make a call - the Yacht Harbour association will review and amend their own guidance, then MDL ( et al) update their own and finally, individual Marinas will update their own guidance having reviewed their parent company and local HM guidance . It' naive to expect that within 24 hours of the PM giving the high level announcement,.

syvictoria

Visit site
As far as I can see, and somewhat disappointingly, the guidance adds nothing further to the discussion in terms of clarity or, perversely, guidance. It's useless, much like it's authors. The RYA have updated their advice and are seemingly still in discussions with HAs and other bodies.

I had hoped for something akin to the Irish plan, which is brilliant in comparison.

alexincornwall

Visit site
Mylor Yacht Harbour have just emailed to advise that we can visit our boats again from tomorrow, with launching services underway and the water taxi resuming shortly. Now waiting with baited breath for the Falmouth Harbour Commissioner's take on sailing...

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
As far as I can see, and somewhat disappointingly, the guidance adds nothing further to the discussion in terms of clarity or, perversely, guidance. It's useless . . .

I had hoped for something akin to the Irish plan, which is brilliant in comparison.

I do like an optimist! But seriously, you did realise who would be producing this document didn't you?

Seven Spades

Visit site
It is quite clear from the following exerpt that we can go sailing from Wednesday:

"Public spaces
SAGE advise that the risk of infection outside is significantly lower than inside, so the Government is updating the rules so that, as well as exercise, people can now also spend time outdoors subject to: not meeting up with any more than one person from outside your household; continued compliance with social distancing guidelines to remain two metres (6ft) away from people outside your household; good hand hygiene, particularly with respect to shared surfaces; and those responsible for public places being able to put appropriate measures in place to follow the new COVID-19 Secure guidance.

People may exercise outside as many times each day as they wish. For example, this would include angling and tennis. You will still not be able to use areas like playgrounds, outdoor gyms or ticketed outdoor leisure venues, where there is a higher risk of close contact and touching surfaces. You can only exercise with up to one person from outside your household – this means you should not play team sports, except with members of your own household.

People may drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance, so long as they respect social distancing guidance while they are there, because this does not involve contact with people outside your household.

When travelling to outdoor spaces, it is important that people respect the rules in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and do not travel to different parts of the UK where it would be inconsistent with guidance or regulations issued by the relevant devolved administration.

These measures may come with some risk; it is important that everyone continues to act responsibly, as the large majority have done to date. The infection rate will increase if people begin to break these rules and, for example, mix in groups in parks, which will trigger the need for further restrictions."

This clearly covers our sport. There is now no prohibition to sailing.