It's official we can now go sailing again!

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
It doesn't help me 'cos I have to travel through too many countries but I'm very pleased for all you UK boaters. Thank the Lord that things are being relaxed and the economy will hopefully start to recover a little.

I'm sure that the good marinas will get their distancing act together in the marina outdoors environments.

Happy sailing to all of you. :)

Richard

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Indeed.

Does anybody know where their position can be found, I have seen copies of an email on the forum but when I last looked on their website nothing was to be seen.

Edit - I have just found their public facebook page which predictably has being trying to dissuade people from using the river in none too subtle terms - I deactivated my facebook account a long time back - maybe a member of the forum could post there and 'remind 'them'to change their rules by Wednesday at the latest?

Last edited:

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Good news but this needs to translate into action where harbour authorities have seen fit to ban all watersports on their patch such as those on the river Crouch and Hamble.

James W

Visit site
Good news but this needs to translate into action where harbour authorities have seen fit to ban all watersports on their patch such as those on the river Crouch and Hamble.
This is so true. I need to get my boat out of the Crouch as soon as possible!

RJJ

Visit site
Yes to the former. Who knows what made the biggest influence, but they do seem to have achieved their goal for England.
Per my posts elsewhere, Stuart at the RYA was extremely helpful to me personally. I think they have done a really terrific job representing our interests on a basis entirely proportionate and consistent with the country's COVID needs.

I am a grumpy and ungrateful person and I don't say this lightly.

RJJ

Visit site
I think you are being a bit of a nuisance here Sharkry Physical exercise was always allowed with close Family , no regulations will list every physical activity, you know this and are just being pedantic , it would be a brave police officer that ticketed you for sailing as you exercise, firstly they would need to swim to you :D but its not worth the argument, the fact is there, and you go away and have a lie down and a good think about what I have said
More to the point, the UK is not that sort of country. We have freedoms and it is for the state explicitly, and with good reason, to take them away. We don't need "permission"; if it's not explicitly banned, it's permitted.

Some of us like it that way.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
No responsible port authority or any other organisation for that matter is going to change what they are doing on the word of a politician, even the Prime Minister, and they would be fools if they did. They will quite rightly wait for the legislation to be published and then take a position from that.

As I recall, the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020 have to be renewed every three weeks. They came into force on 26th March and so will expire no later than 28th May unless renewed. Being a Statutory Instrument they can also be revised before then.

On the horizon

Visit site
I have just spoken with VTS and Hamble harbour authority and they have both confirmed there is no easing on the restrictions for leisure water users at this time. So no going out on the water yet.
As from Wednesday the easing of necessary travel will come into effect so we could effectively go to check our boats which is something and very welcome news at least.

James W

Visit site
Per my posts elsewhere, Stuart at the RYA was extremely helpful to me personally. I think they have done a really terrific job representing our interests on a basis entirely proportionate and consistent with the country's COVID needs.

I am a grumpy and ungrateful person and I don't say this lightly.

On that note, I haven't been an RYA member since my teenage windsurfing days, but today I will rejoin.

Mark-1

Visit site

Seven Spades

Visit site
I have just spoken with VTS and Hamble harbour authority and they have both confirmed there is no easing on the restrictions for leisure water users at this time. So no going out on the water yet.
As from Wednesday the easing of necessary travel will come into effect so we could effectively go to check our boats which is something and very welcome news at least.

They love nothing more than to throw their weight around, officials love nothing better than being officious. However it is not up to them, the government sets the law. If the government says we can go boating the harbour authorities don't get to veto it.

Stork_III

Visit site
As I recall, the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020 have to be renewed every three weeks. They came into force on 26th March and so will expire no later than 28th May unless renewed. Being a Statutory Instrument they can also be revised before then.

Not strictly true. They are required to be reviewed every 21 days, but don't expire until Minister says so or 6 months unless extended by Minister.

Until amended ( by Wednesday?) what Boris said doesn't have the force of law, and all old rules still apply.

Ferring

Visit site
Littlehampton harbour board has announced there are no changes in leisure boating restrictions until further clarification from government.
Arun Yacht club also has restricted access to moorings. So no change as of yet.