It's official we can now go sailing again!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Not strictly true. They are required to be reviewed every 21 days, but don't expire until Minister says so or 6 months unless extended by Minister.

Thanks for the correction

Until amended ( by Wednesday?) what Boris said doesn't have the force of law, and all old rules still apply.

On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be a need for a change in the law, just a clear statement that outdoor leisure activities are now a reasonable excuse for leaving home.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Until this ...

"Essential travel does not include visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks or similar, whether for isolation purposes or holidays. People must remain in their primary residence. "

(cut and pasted direct from the .gob.uk CV-19 guidance at COVID-19 essential travel guidance )

is updated / amdended you're all pissing in the wind if you think that what Boris waffled on about yesterday allows you to go to your yacht or motor yacht - whether or not you're allowed to go sailing, whether or not sailing a cruising yacht counts as sport or not, as the guidance still clearly stands we're still not allowed to travel to marinas and moorings

Good luck arguing the toss about that one with PC Plod or the magistrate when you're faced with a (bigger) fine for uncesccessary travel!

Mark-1

Visit site
"Essential travel does not include visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks or similar, whether for isolation purposes or holidays. People must remain in their primary residence. "

We're talking about day sailing as exercise here, not going on trip for a week.

Brooksie89

Visit site
Until this ...

(cut and pasted direct from the .gob.uk CV-19 guidance at COVID-19 essential travel guidance )

is updated / amdended you're all pissing in the wind if you think that what Boris waffled on about yesterday allows you to go to your yacht or motor yacht - whether or not you're allowed to go sailing, whether or not sailing a cruising yacht counts as sport or not, as the guidance still clearly stands we're still not allowed to travel to marinas and moorings

Good luck arguing the toss about that one with PC Plod or the magistrate when you're faced with a (bigger) fine for uncesccessary travel!

Won't need to argue anything. Gov's covid strategy is being discussed in the commons today at 3.30pm. As long as the legislation is amended by Wednesday, happy days.

If you're too scared to leave your home, that's fine. I'll make a youtube video for you if you want (y) Some of us are lucky enough to be able to live where our boats are.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Won't need to argue anything. Gov's covid strategy is being discussed in the commons today at 3.30pm. As long as the legislation is amended by Wednesday, happy days.

If you're too scared to leave your home, that's fine. I'll make a youtube video for you if you want (y) Some of us are lucky enough to be able to live where our boats are.

The legislation hasn't been amended YET. The guidance hasn't been amended YET.

Like I said, as things stand you're all pissing in the wind UNTIL changes, if any, are made to the regulations and the guidance

As for being scared, don't be bloody silly. Or patronising come to think of it

I could drive to the boat, I could spend time on the boat, I could go back to living on the boat part-time, all without ANY increase in personal risk (in fact, the opposite - I would be at LESS risk of exposure to the virus on board than I am at home

However, as the regulations and guidance CURRENTLY stand, I cannot legitiately (or legally) do so. And it hasn't changed YET

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Indeed, although there is ground for some optimism.

However it is worth noting your link is to something that pre-dates the regulations by almost a week and as there is no mention of essential travel in either the first and current editions of those regulations.

Edit - It would be helpful if the all the misleading information was removed from the .gov and it factually explains the legislation like it does everywhere else

Reactions: RJJ

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Indeed, although there is ground for some optimism.

However it is worth noting your link is to something that pre-dates the regulations by almost a week and as there is no mention of essential travel in either the first and current editions of those regulations.

Never the less, that is the CURRENT government guidance

One hopes that it won't be soon, certainly personally I hope to be able to travel to the boat and ideally stay on board for some days by the end of the month because I could be getting on with refit and maintenance work!

Brooksie89

Visit site
The legislation hasn't been amended YET. The guidance hasn't been amended YET.

Like I said, as things stand you're all pissing in the wind UNTIL changes, if any, are made to the regulations and the guidance

As for being scared, don't be bloody silly. Or patronising come to think of it

I could drive to the boat, I could spend time on the boat, I could go back to living on the boat part-time, all without ANY increase in personal risk (in fact, the opposite - I would be at LESS risk of exposure to the virus on board than I am at home

However, as the regulations and guidance CURRENTLY stand, I cannot legitiately (or legally) do so. And it hasn't changed YET

OK captain obvious. I'll still be looking forward to getting out to the water Wedneday as long as the changes are made.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Never the less, that is the CURRENT government guidance

One hopes that it won't be soon, certainly personally I hope to be able to travel to the boat and ideally stay on board for some days by the end of the month because I could be getting on with refit and maintenance work!

I think it is a 'relic' from when we were being told to keep away from pubs and the like but there wasn't any legalisation behind that. Maybe somebody will have a clear out after today but who knows.

st599

Visit site
Following Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s address to the UK on Sunday evening, 10th May 2020, Cowes Harbour Commission (CHC) can confirm there is no immediate change at the moment to ‘stay off the water’ messages. CHC is liaising with the South Coast Harbour Masters’ Association, British Ports Association, Government, RYA and British Marine to clarify what the latest Government announcement means for port and marine operations and policies, and we aim to update stakeholders further by this Wednesday, 13th May.

CHC has been following the Government’s advice in respect of Coronavirus and we have put measures in place to limit risks to port users, our staff, emergency services and the public. As the country moves towards the easing of certain provisions of the lockdown there will be an understandable interest from many leisure users who want to get back out onto the water. Whilst we are keen to see this eventually, we will need to assess the Government’s latest guidance in respect of what activities and essential travel will be permitted. 

Furthermore, even when we are able to reopen CHC’s facilities, stakeholders should be aware that arrangements to preserve social distancing will be needed. This means that there are likely to be certain measures we need to enforce that could alter what users and visitors can do. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and support. We will continue to monitor the situation and will advise of any further updates as soon as possible this week.

RJJ

Visit site
I think it is a 'relic' from when we were being told to keep away from pubs and the like but there wasn't any legalisation behind that. Maybe somebody will have a clear out after today but who knows.
You are right. The CURRENT law (the one in place these last several weeks) makes no reference to essential, only to reasonable. And the listing of accommodation (which includes caravan parks) was specifically linked to "prolonged close social contact"; which there was no reason ever to apply to a boatyard. The linking of caravan parks to marinas was ADVICE not law and never mentioned boatyards.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
I can't help noticing that a lot of harbour authorities and the like who were busy pushing government advice on social media right up until yesterday afternoon have gone rather quiet now.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
I can't help noticing that a lot of harbour authorities and the like who were busy making up their own rules on social media right up until yesterday afternoon have gone rather quiet now.

Slight alteration needed I feel, particularly, though not restricted to, Hamble River.

stranded

Visit site
Until this ...

I should have thought that hearing the prime minister and the Deputy PM saying that from Wednesday you can drive as far as you like for your exercise should be a pretty compellingly reasonable excuse for the journey? If it counts for nowt then how can anything else they say carry any weight at all?