It's official we can now go sailing again!

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Meanwhile Lymington seems to want to stay closed:

"The BPA and UKHMA therefore recommend that Lymington Harbour consider waiting for the more specific guidance to be issued before easing the current restrictions. The intervening period can be used to consider the newly released Transport Sector guidance and to prepare the relevant policies and procedures. These can then be adapted following the release of the more specific guidance.

In the meantime for the safety of everyone, we would ask that recreational marine leisure users remain patient and understanding as we continue to cooperate and work closely with Government."

Lucky Duck

Visit site
No change at Weymouth, Bridport and Lyme Regis who all 'remain in lockdown'

The bridge at Weymouth could be a problem for anybody tempted to show them the middle finger

Bluetack42

Visit site
I spoke with Chichester earlier this afternoon, my plan was to go fishing from my boat tomorrow. I enquired if the lock would be opening, the lady I spoke with was armed with multiple reasons why it was going to be difficult & required much more consultation: trade bodies, Chi Conservancy decision, some ”guidance” that precluded the use of a person operated lock (?!), a risk that the marina car park/toilets would increase transmission....... Attempting to dIscuss the illogicality & inconsistency was met with the general air that it was all too difficult. She had clearly been briefed to delay/stall.
These people just do not understand that they are a commercial enterprise & should be seeking to help/assist/satisfy customers rather than seeing themselves as all powerful Interpreters of government decisions, fishing has been specifically mentioned as OK to do. When I finally get through that lock I am seriously considering not going back, Ill do a swinging mooring for the summer & then see what else is available next winter.

chrisharris

Visit site
Given that CHC have now released guidance saying that the harbour is open to vessels complying with gov guidance (and it would be almost impossible to prove or disapprove that anyone is complying or not) I suggest that they would have very limited reason not to allow movements through the lock. We are planning to have a trip out later in the week, I would consider any attempt to prevent us as highly questionable in relation to the terms of our berthing agreement.......

Mark-1

Visit site
I spoke with Chichester earlier this afternoon, my plan was to go fishing from my boat tomorrow. I enquired if the lock would be opening, the lady I spoke with was armed with multiple reasons why it was going to be difficult & required much more consultation: trade bodies, Chi Conservancy decision, some ”guidance” that precluded the use of a person operated lock (?!), a risk that the marina car park/toilets would increase transmission....... Attempting to dIscuss the illogicality & inconsistency was met with the general air that it was all too difficult. She had clearly been briefed to delay/stall.
These people just do not understand that they are a commercial enterprise & should be seeking to help/assist/satisfy customers rather than seeing themselves as all powerful Interpreters of government decisions, fishing has been specifically mentioned as OK to do. When I finally get through that lock I am seriously considering not going back, Ill do a swinging mooring for the summer & then see what else is available next winter.

Yes, it's crazy. It's not their job to stop their customers breaking their interpretation of the law. My hope is the fact that some marinas are open without sanction will make it very hard for the rest to stay closed.

...and once again, by what twisted logic are they allowing people to visit boats with AFAICT is legally far less certain than sailing which is exercise on a public space and therefore allowed. Also keeping everyone captive in the marina means far more people using the heads which is a far riskier environment for spreading Corona Virus than the open water: The Risks - Know Them - Avoid Them

Last edited:

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Cowes also want someone else to do their thinking for them:

Cowes Harbour Commission have been following the Government’s advice in respect of Coronavirus and are putting measures in place to limit risks to port users, our staff, emergency services and the public. Although the Government is now easing certain aspects of the lockdown in England, there is not yet any specific advice on whether this is applicable to marine leisure activities. The British Ports Association and the UK Harbour Masters’ Association are seeking clarification on this with the Government at national level. Specific guidance is expected shortly. Therefore until we have confirmation that marine leisure activities are permitted and any relevant restrictions on them, we are advising that they should not take place. The safety of our port users is paramount.

Sealong

Visit site
Here, below, is a copy of the e-mail that came through from Premier Marinas today

"We are delighted that the Prime Minister announced an easing of the lockdown restrictions on Sunday evening. This means that from tomorrow, 13th May 2020, you will be able to visit your boat and the marina. At the time of writing, most ports and harbours are restricting access for recreational craft under a local notice to mariners. We are aware that this situation is being reviewed and we are hopeful that this position will be revised. We will write to you as soon as we have further information.
Many of the previously announced lockdown restrictions remain in place and we would ask you all to follow the social distancing guidelines when you visit the marina. Please be aware that the updated legislation on travel does not permit overnight stays and we would therefore ask you not to stay overnight on board your boat in the marina. It is in all of our interests to respect and follow both the spirit and letter of the legislation. Note that those informally residing aboard at the date the lockdown was implemented and who have confirmed to us that this is the case, may continue to do so, as is required by the legislation.
As and when you visit, you will find that we have social distancing protocols and hygiene equipment in place and we have also increased the cleaning regimes for our ablution facilities for your peace of mind and to allow you to maintain your safety. Whilst our marina reception is closed for the time being, you can expect a good staff presence on site should you need assistance or you can call us on 01273 819919.
Our boatyards will return to a “business as usual” service from tomorrow and you can schedule your lift/launch via your My Premier account on our website or by emailing us at brighton@premiermarinas.com. Most of our tenant businesses are open for business and contractors with Premier permits are welcome to site to attend to your boat, as they have been throughout the lockdown.
We look forward to seeing you soon but meanwhile please stay safe and well."

chrisharris

Visit site
Here, below, is a copy of the e-mail that came through from Premier Marinas today

"We are delighted that the Prime Minister announced an easing of the lockdown restrictions on Sunday evening. This means that from tomorrow, 13th May 2020, you will be able to visit your boat and the marina. At the time of writing, most ports and harbours are restricting access for recreational craft under a local notice to mariners. We are aware that this situation is being reviewed and we are hopeful that this position will be revised. We will write to you as soon as we have further information.
Many of the previously announced lockdown restrictions remain in place and we would ask you all to follow the social distancing guidelines when you visit the marina. Please be aware that the updated legislation on travel does not permit overnight stays and we would therefore ask you not to stay overnight on board your boat in the marina. It is in all of our interests to respect and follow both the spirit and letter of the legislation. Note that those informally residing aboard at the date the lockdown was implemented and who have confirmed to us that this is the case, may continue to do so, as is required by the legislation.
As and when you visit, you will find that we have social distancing protocols and hygiene equipment in place and we have also increased the cleaning regimes for our ablution facilities for your peace of mind and to allow you to maintain your safety. Whilst our marina reception is closed for the time being, you can expect a good staff presence on site should you need assistance or you can call us on 01273 819919.
Our boatyards will return to a “business as usual” service from tomorrow and you can schedule your lift/launch via your My Premier account on our website or by emailing us at brighton@premiermarinas.com. Most of our tenant businesses are open for business and contractors with Premier permits are welcome to site to attend to your boat, as they have been throughout the lockdown.
We look forward to seeing you soon but meanwhile please stay safe and well."
To be fair in the email they don't say we can't use our boats, they may have been caught out by the CHC guidance.....and in fact we now can......

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Cowes also want someone else to do their thinking for them:

C owes Harbour Commission have been following the Government’s advice .......??The British Ports Association and the UK Harbour Masters’ Association are seeking clarification on this with the Government at national level. Specific guidance is expected shortly. Therefore until we have confirmation that marine leisure activities are permitted and any relevant restrictions on them, we are advising that they should not take place.

Reckon this is why Chichester conservancy have stalled.
However given the good common sense of people at the moment and the clear statement from the government I see no justification for waiting. Grrrrrr

Mark-1

Visit site
Does anyone else think CHC 's statement: "Chichester Harbour remains open to vessels operating within government guidance. " seems strangely at odds with the rest of their announcement.

The default position for marinas should be to open while they wait for information, not close.

Mark-1

Visit site
The ‘Emergency Powers (Prohibitions on Movement) (Amendment) (no3) Regulations 2020’ state- “leisure activities” does not include the participation in a sporting activity with persons who are not in the household of the person or an activity in a vessel, unless the vessel is moored;

That scared the hell out of me until I googled and realized it's IOM legislation!

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Dart Nav are saying no change and when change comes, it will take time for them to get organised. No rush there then.
Salcombe remains closed to visiting yachts, according to local BBC news just now.

SimonFa

Visit site

Please be aware that the updated legislation on travel does not permit overnight stays and we would therefore ask you not to stay overnight on board your boat in the marina. It is in all of our interests to respect and follow both the spirit and letter of the legislation.

This is where we need to be allowed to use a bit more common sense. Is it better for me to travel backwards and forwards and expose myself to infection that I could bring in to the marina or stay overnight if I'm day sailing on consecutive days?
PS Unless I missed it no such restriction at D&R marinas.

Lucky Duck

Visit site
My email says "in line with the latest government advice you should not stay aboard overnight"

If it is just advice then one can ignore it

Denek

Visit site
Harwich Haven Authority does I believe have a ban in place for recreational craft and so boats not allowed to leave the marina. I can’t anyway still on the hard but at least I can now go check her out and work on her. Depending how long the ban Is in place may not bother this year. We will sea. Er!I mean see?

Lucky Duck

Visit site
Assuming you are at Levington or further up the Orwell then you are outside their jurisdiction provided you don't try and go out to sea!