It's official we can now go sailing again!

atol

Visit site
looks like the Helford river is open for navigation,steady procession of boats heading down river from Gweek.
Still no confirmation from Falmouth harbour commisioners if the notices to mariners ban has been lifted yet.

Mark-1

Visit site
Playing devils advocate a bit (but also involved with a yacht club where we need to decide how much we can open up) how do you feel about a situation where you can access your boat but there are no 'facilities' available ? Facilities might encompass toilets, showers etc. Once those are opened the complexity of managing access, cleaning, provision of PPE etc etc multiplies

If it were my decision, I wouldn't be opening 'facilities'.

Mark-1

Visit site
Public toilets are allowed to be open under current guidelines. Otherwise local hedges will get mighty smelly until the rain comes back! Closing certain businesses and venues in England see near the bottom of the list of retail premises allowed to remain open!

I'm sure it's legal, I just think it's a bad idea:

The Risks - Know Them - Avoid Them

I'm happy to use public/marina/Club heads myself, but if I had responsibility for them or any other building, I'd personally leave them closed.

Others will come to a different conclusion and I have no problem with that.

Mark-1

Visit site
I e-mailed Premier this morning for the second time and got this:

We understand this is a frustrating time for all. Premier is working hard to get everyone back on the water but Government Guidance has not been made clear enough for us to be allowed to open the lock. We are currently waiting for further guidance of which we have been told will be released in the next few days in regards to this.

As soon as we can we will be sending out communications to this effect to all our berth holders while working hard to be able to operate this marina and our staff and their families safe.

How much clearer could the Government be?

all forms of water sports practiced on open waterways, including sailing

:mad::mad::mad:

Mark-1

Visit site
They replied with this excellent news:

We have just had confirmation that we can now open. Please call on VHF channel 80 for a lock out and maintain social distancing.

To be fair to them they've actually reacted very promptly, 10am on the day the rules changed isn't too bad.

It was just tense few hours for boatowners while they were thinking about it.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Just received this from Weymouth;

Further to my message last night we have received the following guidance message for all harbours:

We have been following the Government’s advice in respect of Coronavirus and are putting measures in place to limit risks to port users, our staff, emergency services and the public. Although the Government is now easing certain aspects of the lockdown in England, there is not yet any specific advice on whether this is applicable to marine leisure activities. The British Ports Association and the UK Harbour Masters’ Association are seeking clarification on this with the Government at national level. Specific guidance is expected shortly. Therefore until we have confirmation that marine leisure activities are permitted and any relevant restrictions on them, we are advising that they should not take place. The safety of our port users is paramount.

Furthermore, even when we are able to reopen our facilities, users should be aware that practices to preserve social distancing will be needed as is prescribed in Government advice issued this week (and further specific guidance to be issued). This means that we may need a short period of time to assess risks and modify arrangements. In the meantime we thank you for your patience and understanding. We share your wish to see safe recreational marine activities again and to kick start the summer season as soon as is practically possible.

We will keep you informed as the situation develops.

I can only assume this was drafted before the above guidance was issued

Mark-1

Visit site

DennisF

Visit site
Harwich Haven Authority have no change on their website. I have sent them an emailing reminding them that clarification has now been received from DEFRA and citing the following document which specifically states that sailing is now allowed:

Coronavirus – Guidance on access to green spaces

I’ve asked them to either update their advice or supply the written evidence that they believe justifies a continued ban. Hopefully they will remove the prohibition soon....

DennisF

Visit site
Harwich Haven Authority have no change on their website. I have sent them an emailing reminding them that clarification has now been received from DEFRA and citing the following document which specifically states that sailing is now allowed:

Coronavirus – Guidance on access to green spaces

I’ve asked them to either update their advice or supply the written evidence that they believe justifies a continued ban. Hopefully they will remove the prohibition soon....

All good now - they have allowed sailing:

The waters of the Haven are now open for boating and angling - Harwich Haven Authority

chubby

www.flickr.com
Is there a ban on overnight still? I couldn't see anything specific in the para on boating but staying in a second home is still banned and a requirement to return to your main residence at night?

Anchored somewhere quiet would be in the spirit of scoial distancing and make no demand on unopened visitor facilities?

chubby

www.flickr.com
Is there a ban on overnight still? I couldn't see anything specific in the para on boating but staying in a second home is still banned and a requirement to return to your main residence at night?

Anchored somewhere quiet would be in the spirit of social distancing and make no demand on unopened visitor facilities?
looks like there is a ban on overnight stays according to the britishmarine.co.uk guidelines forwarded by my yard, never mind a day trip would be great!