It's official we can now go sailing again!

SimonFa

Visit site
My email says "in line with the latest government advice you should not stay aboard overnight"

If it is just advice then one can ignore it
Indeed. The only advice that I can see that comes anywhere near staying on board overnight is the use of second homes, and as you're night even allowed to visits those its irrelevant.

Bluetack42

Visit site
Get this. I can have a cleaner, childminder, estate agent & plumber round to my house, I can share a car with somebody from another household to commute, with the windows open. But for some bizarre reason CHC and Chichester Marina believe they should prevent me using the great outdoors fresh air because maybe, just possibly something might go wrong.
They appear to have no understanding of the concept of risk, our government for all its faults does and is rightly changing the rules as the risks subsides, companies & other public bodies have in my view a duty to reflect the change our government wants & not to just freeze/cover their back****s.
Some very rough numbers; On monday Patrick Valance said c. 130,000 people currently have CV-19 in the UK, a significant proportion of these will be in care homes and hospitals, say 30,000, which leaves 100k in the general population, lets assume that the vast majority of people feeling ill will not want to go out, feel to rough & take to their beds, the problem is people with no symptoms (mainly young) and the first week of infection. Being generous half of the total could still be out and about, say 50,000. As a proportion of the UK population that’s 1 in 1400, and even then they don't infect everybody they meet, on average 3 others over the 1 week period of being asymptomatic.
If you go sailing or run a business your used to assessing & taking risks, what I object to is somebody else, other than an elected government, assuming the right to decide on the risks I face, on what authority Can they do that?

Blue Sunray

Visit site
If you go sailing or run a business your used to assessing & taking risks, what I object to is somebody else, other than an elected government, assuming the right to decide on the risks I face, on what authority Can they do that?

It seems pretty clear in most cases that they cannot. Basically they are adopting threatening tactics driven by an overinflated sense of their own importance on the (probably justified) judgement that no one will want to be the test case to challenge them .

Last edited:

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
It seems pretty clear in most case that they cannot. Basically they are adopting threatening tactics driven by an overinflated sense of their own importance on the (probably justified) judgement that no one will want to be the test case to challenge them .

If they are still trying to frustrating things from today then modest cost of the small claims court case might be appealing in respect of a claim for a pro-rata refund of fees until such time as they allow unfettered access.

Sharky34

Visit site
How are all those posting on here, going to find time for boating, shouldn't you be observing Grant Shapps instruction & be cycling to your work?

Babylon

Visit site
Most of the Marine industry is looking for excuses not to open rather than reasons to do so. The cynic in me says that they are making more money having furloughed their staff and yet enjoying berthing fees so the longer they stretch it the more money they make whilst trying to appear to be "following the rules" the victims of this are lease holder, berth holders and people who work in the yards.

I know this is now perhaps slightly old news in a fast-moving situation, but you're spot on!

The marine industry needs to remember that without their "punters" (I really hate that word) they'd be a tiny fraction of their grasping self-importance.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site

Indeed.

Given the unequivocal nature of this guidance* I don't understand the apparent need to seek further clarification which some harbour authorities say they need.

* I appreciate that guidance in not always the same as legislation but in instance my views is that the principle of legitimate expectation would apply.

Mark-1

Visit site
  • go swimming in either lakes or the sea as part of daily exercise provided that social distancing guidelines are observed - you cannot use public indoor and outdoor pools
  • all forms of water sports practiced on open waterways, including sailing, windsurfing, canoeing, rowing, kayaking, surfing, paddle-boarding and the use of privately-owned motorised craft (in line with the guidance issued by the relevant navigation authority) are allowed. You can continue to use towpaths for walking, running and cycling, being mindful of other users and people living in boats along the water

Coronavirus – Guidance on access to green spaces

(Just making it easier for people to find!)

oldharry

Visit site
Indeed.

Given the unequivocal nature of this guidance* I don't understand the apparent need to seek further clarification which some harbour authorities say they need.

* I appreciate that guidance in not always the same as legislation but in instance my views is that the principle of legitimate expectation would apply.
It was only published at midnight last night, so it wont have reached them until they reached their offices this morning. It will be interesting to see how quickly some of them react! Note though that the press release implies we can not stay overnight anywhere except at home. Cant see what difference it makes on the boat, personally, but either the Govt hasnt thought that far, or they are worried that caravanners and second home owners will start demanding the right to sleep over?

RobbieW

Visit site
Playing devils advocate a bit (but also involved with a yacht club where we need to decide how much we can open up) how do you feel about a situation where you can access your boat but there are no 'facilities' available ? Facilities might encompass toilets, showers etc. Once those are opened the complexity of managing access, cleaning, provision of PPE etc etc multiplies

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
  • go swimming in either lakes or the sea as part of daily exercise provided that social distancing guidelines are observed - you cannot use public indoor and outdoor pools
  • all forms of water sports practiced on open waterways, including sailing, windsurfing, canoeing, rowing, kayaking, surfing, paddle-boarding and the use of privately-owned motorised craft (in line with the guidance issued by the relevant navigation authority) are allowed. You can continue to use towpaths for walking, running and cycling, being mindful of other users and people living in boats along the water

Coronavirus – Guidance on access to green spaces

(Just making it easier for people to find!)

Slightly tongue in cheek - we might want to print that off and include it in the ship's papers

Mark-1

Visit site
With that document no one should be in any doubt that "It's official we can now go sailing again!"

Don't be so hasty. It doesn't explicitly say we can sail in GRP boats. The Authorities need a lengthy consultation to determine if "all forms of watersport including sailing" includes GRP boats.

Also it doesn't specifically mention Saturdays. Maybe sailing isn't allowed on Saturdays? Clearly the Authorities need a lengthy consultation to check.

(I fear I'm being a little unfair here - I'm sure the authorities/marinas are doing their best with staff who don't have legal training. Maybe I should be more patient.)

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
It was only published at midnight last night, so it wont have reached them until they reached their offices this morning. It will be interesting to see how quickly some of them react! Note though that the press release implies we can not stay overnight anywhere except at home. Cant see what difference it makes on the boat, personally, but either the Govt hasnt thought that far, or they are worried that caravanners and second home owners will start demanding the right to sleep over?

This

If I was still sailing somewhere like the East Coast where there are more places without statutory harbour authorities like the Chi Harbour Conservancy I might be tempted to risk it.

No updates on the Beaulieu River which their website is still showing as closed Beaulieu River News | The natural haven where the New Forest meets the Solent