It's official we can now go sailing again!

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Most of the Marine industry is looking for excuses not to open rather than reasons to do so. The cynic in me says that they are making more money having furloughed their staff and yet enjoying berthing fees so the longer they stretch it the more money they make whilst trying to appear to be "following the rules" the victims of this are lease holder, berth holders and people who work in the yards.

It doesn't seem to be restricted to the Marine industry. There are staff across a wide range of sectors who are not particularly anxious to go back to work when they can still pick up 80% pay and now leisure facilities are opening up, whilst employers are also concerned about possible H&S litigation.

Last edited:

matt1

Visit site
I just read his guidance and
Nope nothing yet since the "respond as soon as we can" message yesterday. They've had a fair bit of time to consider how to permit access (eg removing trolleys, signage etc) so will be fairly frustrated if they continue to drag their heels. I appreciate the Covid-Secure details are yet to be published but if other marinas can manage it then so can they.

Hamble Hbr Mstr said yesterday he was "having important discussions with other solent harbour authorities" today and would update after that. I suspect Premier may be part of that, or will want to be. I would think the Solent harbours may want to try and come up with a joint position. Would make sense to be co-ordinated. Maybe they are all waiting for that meeting

semisimple

Visit site
Email out from Haslar saying they'll be open from Wednesday - doesn't say anything about going sailing though. QHM haven't updated their recreational boating guidance...

semisimple

Visit site
Thanks for posting the link - I see what you mean, no obvious prohibition, just that they support RYA guidance...which I expect will now change, and only ever was 'guidance'.

Sharky34

Visit site
I just read his guidance and

Hamble Hbr Mstr said yesterday he was "having important discussions with other solent harbour authorities" today and would update after that. I suspect Premier may be part of that, or will want to be. I would think the Solent harbours may want to try and come up with a joint position. Would make sense to be co-ordinated. Maybe they are all waiting for that meeting
There are at least 7 of those, including Eastle8gh Borough Council, what the hell do they know about the marine industry or sailing, other than to collect revenue from Boatmans Licences & Launching fees?

graham

Visit site
The relevant competent harbour authorities will have to cancel the notice to mariners currently banning recreational boating.

I don't expect them to be thrilled at the prospect of us returning to "their" water.

matt1

Visit site
There are at least 7 of those, including Eastle8gh Borough Council, what the hell do they know about the marine industry or sailing, other than to collect revenue from Boatmans Licences & Launching fees?

Are EBC a Solent Harbour authority?

Just spoken with one of the Hamble MDL marinas as my boat is being lifted Monday. All on track, but may be of interest to others that MDL will not move customers boats to the lift dock. Essentially their policy appears to be not to come into contact with an owners boat in that way.

Sharky34

Visit site
Are EBC a Solent Harbour authority?

Just spoken with one of the Hamble MDL marinas as my boat is being lifted Monday. All on track, but may be of interest to others that MDL will not move customers boats to the lift dock. Essentially their policy appears to be not to come into contact with an owners boat in that way.
Yes, EBC is.

They are the authority, both for Hamble & Warsash sides of the river & offer licencing direct & via River Hamble HM

Last edited:

Mark-1

Visit site
They e-mailed me this yesterday:

We were excited by the Prime Minister’s announcement last night in which he said that unlimited outdoor activity will be permitted in England from Wednesday as we are of course hoping that this will include recreational boating. We expect the situation to be clarified with the publication of the detail at 2pm today and will update you on how we will be responding to that as soon as we can. In the meantime thank you for your patience and we hope to bring you more positive news shortly.

And now:

Dear Mark-1

We are delighted that the Prime Minister announced an easing of the lockdown restrictions on Sunday evening. This means that from tomorrow, 13th May 2020, you will be able to visit your boat and the marina. At the time of writing, most ports and harbours are restricting access for recreational craft under a local notice to mariners. We are aware that this situation is being reviewed and we are hopeful that this position will be revised. We will write to you as soon as we have further information.

Many of the previously announced lockdown restrictions remain in place and we would ask you all to follow the social distancing guidelines when you visit the marina. Please be aware that the updated legislation on travel does not permit overnight stays and we would therefore ask you not to stay overnight on board your boat in the marina. It is in all of our interests to respect and follow both the spirit and letter of the legislation. Note that those informally residing aboard at the date the lockdown was implemented and who have confirmed to us that this is the case, may continue to do so, as is required by the legislation.

As and when you visit, you will find that we have social distancing protocols and hygiene equipment in place and we have also increased the cleaning regimes for our ablution facilities for your peace of mind and to allow you to maintain your safety. Whilst our marina reception is closed for the time being, you can expect a good staff presence on site should you need assistance or you can call us on 01243 512731.

Our boatyards will return to a “business as usual” service from tomorrow and you can schedule your lift/launch via your My Premier account on our website or by emailing us at chichester@premiermarinas.com. Most of our tenant businesses are open for business and contractors with Premier permits are welcome to site to attend to your boat, as they have been throughout the lockdown.

We look forward to seeing you soon but meanwhile please stay safe and well.
Personally, I think the lock needs to be open tomorrow as well. I'm pretty happy the rules (and common sense) allow me to sail and will do so after Wednesday. AFAICT the rules only allow me to 'visit a boat' with a very lax definition of 'exercise'. Also, unlike sailing, hanging around the Marina could spread CV. I feel I'm being prevented from doing something sensible and legal, but 'allowed' to do something irresponsible and possibly illegal.

Hopefully Chi Conservancy will explicitly state that the Harbour is open and I'll be able to go out imminently. I shall *certainly* be kayaking on Chi Harbour from now on. (Something I reckon was legal throughout, but I chose not to do for fear of tutting bystanders and encouraging people who might need to drive to get their Kayaks to the Harbour.)

Last edited:

Lucky Duck

Visit site
I see you get an update from the conservancy at 17:30.

On Saturday I noticed a boat out in the harbour towards HISC and out of interest checked the conservancy website which seemed to be actively discouraging rather than actually forbidding.

Mark-1

Visit site
I see you get an update from the conservancy at 17:30.

On Saturday I noticed a boat out in the harbour towards HISC and out of interest checked the conservancy website which seemed to be actively discouraging rather than actually forbidding.

17:30! Excellent.

Yes, that's how I read it. My guess is the Marina are waiting for something specifically allowing and it looks like they're going to get it.

Mark-1

Visit site
Is the lock fixed?

It appears to be - I've been through it once. However, there's still barriers up and the foot path crossing the lock is closed so maybe there's till work to be done. Maybe I'm over confident but I haven't even asked them specifically if the lock is fully working, I hope I don't regret that trust!

Last edited:

alexincornwall

Visit site
It would appear that Falmouth Harbour Commissioners are less keen. To quote their latest website update:

STATEMENT RE RECREATIONAL BOATING ACTIVITIES

Despite reports that some recreational boating activities can re-start from tomorrow as part of the relaxation of lockdown measures, we have received no confirmation of this from Industry Trade Associations. There was no specific mention of recreational boating in the Government guidance issued yesterday and therefore the situation is unclear. We understand that clarification on watersports and boating activities is expected from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport in the next few days. We will be studying this carefully when it is received and updating our advice accordingly. In the meantime, our Port Notice Number 8 to mariners remains extant.

Lucky Duck

Visit site
Which says

The use of recreational craft is not considered an essential activity and therefore operators of facilities such as pontoons, moorings and slipways should keep these closed to recreational craft so far as is possible until the current measures are rescinded

I think the bit is bold has happened no?

matt1

Visit site
It would appear that Falmouth Harbour Commissioners are less keen. To quote their latest website update:

STATEMENT RE RECREATIONAL BOATING ACTIVITIES

Despite reports that some recreational boating activities can re-start from tomorrow as part of the relaxation of lockdown measures, we have received no confirmation of this from Industry Trade Associations. There was no specific mention of recreational boating in the Government guidance issued yesterday and therefore the situation is unclear. We understand that clarification on watersports and boating activities is expected from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport in the next few days. We will be studying this carefully when it is received and updating our advice accordingly. In the meantime, our Port Notice Number 8 to mariners remains extant.

FWIW I got a text message update (albeit from one of the much smaller) Hamble yards around a couple of hours ago saying people could visit between 11:00-15:00 upto x2 people per boat at a time and that you can not "take your boat out" and should "keep yourself on your boat" and not allowed to stay overnight. It further goes on to say that if you take your boat out, paddle board or go on a kayak you will be fined by the Hbr Authority. Not sure if that ultimately came out of the apparent meetings taking place today, but the source is reliable and unlikely to have quoted the "you will be fined by the Hbr authority" unless they had been informed of such.

BTW - making no judgement on any of the above, just passing it on as an FYI and to show how there is still a lot of contradictory info circulating around

Lucky Duck

Visit site
RHHA mention a meeting of Solent organisations today before they issued further guidance - I have a nasty sinking feeling in my stomach

James_Calvert

Visit site
Do these harbour authorities also need to take into account whatever instructions emerge on quarantining overseas visitors?

There's been enough fuss about air passengers to date being allowed in without checks. It would be unfortunate if a harbour closed to leisure users was reopened before things were in place.