Isle of Wight sealine crash with injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaltIre

Visit site
In crimes involving serious injury and hospitalisation good investigative practice is to get early pre-transfusion blood samples so that potential evidence is ‘in the bank.’
Indeed - but hospital staff doing so without authority are assaulting their patient. I'll now definitely follow the advice/statement in #152 & #157!

benjenbav

Visit site
Indeed - but hospital staff doing so without authority are assaulting their patient. I'll now definitely follow the advice/statement in #152 & #157!
Still wondering what crime might be involved - 25k up the thread we established that the law on specific alcohol levels isn’t in force for non-professional mariners - when all we know is that someone crashed a boat onto the shore.

ok - the boat might have been stolen; there might be a pollution offence; the passengers might have been kidnapped by a Bond villain. But, on the face of it, it’s an accident - the cause of which is unknown and we all hope the injured parties recover swiftly and completely.

penberth3

Visit site
.....If the skipper or / and helm was one of those admitted then I reckon there’s a note of the then blood alcohol and time taken in the records , along with the other blood test results.

It will all come out in the reports …eventually.I can’t imagine bloods for alcohol + other substances not being done on the two hospitalised and highly likely on the two walking wounded .

Surely in this situation blood/alcohol is confidential medical information, and the Police have no right to see it? Ditto the MAIB. They can only ask anyone involved if they had been drinking.

penberth3

Visit site
Still wondering what crime might be involved - 25k up the thread we established that the law on specific alcohol levels isn’t in force for non-professional mariners - when all we know is that someone crashed a boat onto the shore....

An interesting question. There is still the civil law route, injured parties can sue the driver of the boat. Then the penalty falls on the insurance company, if there is one, not the individual.

Martxer

Visit site
Lots of people making assumptions as alcohol being a factor but no one has mentioned co poisoning could this not be a factor?

dunedin

Visit site
An interesting question. There is still the civil law route, injured parties can sue the driver of the boat. Then the penalty falls on the insurance company, if there is one, not the individual.
Except IF the skipper had been drinking and this was an exclusion on the boat insurance, when it would remain a personal liability.
Again a general point, not implying was in this case.
What was the law applied to the fatal speedboat accident in the Thames?

penberth3

Visit site
Except IF the skipper had been drinking and this was an exclusion on the boat insurance, when it would remain a personal liability.

AIUI, insurance covers third party damage and injuries, regardless of any exclusions?

I think the Thames charge was Manslaughter, but it was a clear case of being pissed and reckless.

SaltIre

Visit site
The 2006 MAIB report on the 2005 Grounding of powerboat Sea Snake with 3 people injured and loss of 3 lives, near the entrance to Tarbert Loch Fyne, stated:
there is little effective legislation in the UK to limit the consumption of alcohol when operating leisure boats. The Tarbert Harbour Authority Bye-Laws did not include any reference to the navigation of a vessel when under the influence of drink or drugs
Grounding of powerboat Sea Snake with 3 people injured and loss of 3 lives
That was over 15 years ago but I don't know if anything has changed.

penberth3

Visit site
The 2006 MAIB report on the 2005 Grounding of powerboat Sea Snake with 3 people injured and loss of 3 lives, near the entrance to Tarbert Loch Fyne, stated:

That was over 15 years ago but I don't know if anything has changed.

Apparently not. And it needs little more than a rubber stamp on the Legislation quoted back up the thread.

RupertW

Visit site
"Avoiding getting drunk at anchor would be like avoiding getting drunk at home. It’s where we mostly live when on board."

Rupert, lots of people don't get drunk at home, or choose when to get drunk at home. Not just those who are tea-total either - people who are on call for work (or presumably the RNLI etc?), people who know they might need to drive at short notice to a sick/vulnerable relative, people who might need to take a wife to a maternity ward etc. Now I'm not saying I'd never have a glass of wine at anchor, but I certainly wouldn't be getting drunk if the forecast had any possibility of turning bad. Doing otherwise is like parking your campervan, opening the vino knowing that in an hour or two you may have to move it.
Look it’s fair enough if enjoying alcohol is not a part of your normal life but that lack of insight into the lives of those who do is making you post some very odd things.

Firstly and obviously you don’t sound as if days and weeks at anchor are part of your experience. Judgment matters including the likelihood of trouble and you own expertise and ability of dealing with it after a little or a lot of wine.

But mainly it’s you missing the point with your examples of people avoiding getting drunk. Getting drunk at home or at anchor does not mean always or often for either.

I avoid drinkaltogether at least 24 hours before I’m on call at a hospital and avoid big nights quite a few days before. Similarly if there is a tough sail coming up. But in a familiar uncrowded anchoarge with a decent weather forecast it’s just normal life to have a glass or two of wine or occasionally with guests to get trashed and dive over at midnight together for a skinny dip.

Just a different way of enjoying life - much less often than when I was younger. It’s been over 3 years since I last pulled an overnighter at a megaclub in Ibiza but life shouldn’t shrink unless you want it to.

Last edited:

Forum Admin Team

Administrator
www.flamewarriorsguide.com
Thread closed.

Speculative comments, veering toward gossip of negligence, particularly when there's a potential for legal/insurance/compensatory impact, are not to be encouraged. They would not be published in any of the print titles (without substantial and sustainable evidence) and have no place on the forum.

Attempts to resurrect this topic are unwelcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.