Isle of Wight sealine crash with injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldgit

Visit site
Anybody remember the photos of that Fairline Targa 38 ?which failed to notice the river Thames bends and ended up firmly ashore on the river bank.
Nothing hurt that time other than pride.
Best to wait until full details before laying any blame, it would have been dark at the time of grounding.

Last edited:

kashurst

Visit site
Hopefully injuries not serious, but that would have hurt a lot.
Boat is probably scrap? Hull will be almost certainly badly damaged.

I wonder what they will tell the insurance company.

Time Out

Visit site
Anybody remember the photos of that Fairline Targa 38 ?which failed to notice the river Thames bends and ended up firmly ashore on the river bank.
Best to wait until full details before laying any blame, it would have been dark at the time of grounding.

Yes it’s still around after being dragged/ pushed back in. It’s also well known that was late at night and drink had been taken …there were a few minor injuries both to the occupants and the owner’s wallet.

Let’s hope this less serious other than a trashed boat. Which is of course serious but replaceable.

jrudge

Visit site
This is not really a normal grounding is it! To get that far up it will have been going at some considerable speed - at night - close to shore. I have no idea if there was any moon light / cloud cover but the navigation has to be wildly out.

One would speculate booze was involved given the truly unusual location as someone in charge of a vessel who was unsure of their position - at night - would one assume consult charts and above all else slow down.

Boathook

Visit site
I seem to remember years ago that a motor boat tried to enter Keyhaven by going up the shingle beach in the Solent.

I did read late last night that some were injured but no other details. Hopefully none serious.

Elessar

Visit site
Hopefully injuries not serious, but that would have hurt a lot.
Boat is probably scrap? Hull will be almost certainly badly damaged.

I wonder what they will tell the insurance company.
It could have touched the beach at walking pace and the tide then went out. No way of telling from the photo.
The injuries lead to speculation that it was at speed though.
As for the insurance company tell them the truth.
You are insured for incompetence if that’s what it was.

Elessar

Visit site
This is not really a normal grounding is it! To get that far up it will have been going at some considerable speed - at night - close to shore. I have no idea if there was any moon light / cloud cover but the navigation has to be wildly out.

One would speculate booze was involved given the truly unusual location as someone in charge of a vessel who was unsure of their position - at night - would one assume consult charts and above all else slow down.
Tidal. Can’t tell from the photo.

Never Grumble

Visit site
Tidal. Can’t tell from the photo.
One of the threads on Facebook have a quote from a fisherman who saw it leave the Hut and go past at 20knots with all interior lights on, which is bizarre given it was dark. Not going to speculate but suspect we all have our suspicions.

kashurst

Visit site
High water there yesterday was @ 10-30pm so the crash happened about one hour or so earlier. Looking at the rocks in the photo I think the photo was taken near the next high water. Not good is it? Could someone be looking at jail time for this?

Elessar

Visit site
One of the threads on Facebook have a quote from a fisherman who saw it leave the Hut and go past at 20knots with all interior lights on, which is bizarre given it was dark. Not going to speculate but suspect we all have our suspicions.
One of the reasons I don’t use Facebook is I don’t believe much of what is said on it.

andy59

Visit site
Sad to see, hope everyone is ok . Must have been travelling at planing speed as there’s a large hole in the forward hull and the starboard leg has been ripped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.