Independence | Upadates & Cruising

benjenbav

Visit site
They were late leaving Brighton due to lack of depth so had to wait for the tide. Apparently Brighton marina does not have as much depth as advertised?

Seem to recall silting in Brighton Marina has been reducing depth to less than published for a while despite dredging ops.

MrB

Visit site
As far as I know they're not professionals nor do they have a fixed deadline for their arrival. The boat is new to them, it's not been unused all winter and it's a cold and windy night too. I think carrying on into the night would be a daft.

Exactly. :encouragement:

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Seem to recall silting in Brighton Marina has been reducing depth to less than published for a while despite dredging ops.

Yep, that's my understanding too. When I was there it was still just about accessible at all states of the tide, but I believe that nowadays the entrance isn't viable at low tide.

Boat2016

Visit site
Absolutely nothing if you have the experience to do so. From what i have read, Robins experience of daytime sailing is limited and mostly on the broards not out in one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world. :rolleyes:

Yes definitely a no if there’s no experience on board but I thought I read in a previous post that one of the crew was an experienced skipper.
I also read on one of the Broads forums where they took the Broads cruiser they own from the Broads to Thames by sea, that to me is something that you would only attempt if you had no experience, I know they got away with it but not something anyone qualified would attempt

NEB

Visit site
Regarding the crews experience there are 2 ex navy guys on board, one of them served quite some time in small patrol boats. I believe he has several RYA qualifications as well. The other was a submariner so let’s hope his expertise is not required!!
They actually left Dover about 30 mins ago.

Boat2016

Visit site
Regarding the crews experience there are 2 ex navy guys on board, one of them served quite some time in small patrol boats. I believe he has several RYA qualifications as well. The other was a submariner so let’s hope his expertise is not required!!
They actually left Dover about 30 mins ago.

Sounds like they have all angles covered.

Hope the last leg goes well

Last edited:

jrudge

Visit site
Looking at passage weather the wind and wave are pretty stiff on the stbd side. I dont know the boat but it seem to have a reputation for being a but top heavy so i imagine it is a ling trip on a close to zero Feb day!

Surprised there are no updates.

MrB

Visit site
Looks like they have missed high tide in Gt Yarmouth. Is that going to affect them going up the River?

MapisM

Visit site
Looking at passage weather the wind and wave are pretty stiff on the stbd side. I dont know the boat but it seem to have a reputation for being a but top heavy so i imagine it is a ling trip on a close to zero Feb day!

Surprised there are no updates.
Well, according to the AIS, in the last hour or so, the boat heading was swinging back and forth by 50+ degrees, so obviously sea conditions are bad enough to make the autopilot struggle a lot...
Not my idea of pleasure boating, but all the very best to them!

spearfish2018

Visit site
From reading of one of the Norfolk broads forums , it appears the owner left the vessel and they are now proceeding at reduced speed due to conditions
Seems very bad and some crew seasick plus autohelm out as well as generator ...sounds not a lot of fun

NEB

Visit site
Autopilot gave up at some point and it was pretty rough crossing the Thames estuary, the 2 ex navy guys were ok but the other 3 were not too well apparently !! It's calmed down a bit and they are now approx.. 2 hours from Great Yarmouth.
I believe they are staying at Goodchild's tonight plus the Yare is fairly deep so the tide should not be a problem. I believe Haven bridge requires 24hrs notice for lifting but not sure how flexible they are with the timings.

BruceK

Visit site
edited. MarkC posted up 1st

Some really nasty seas on there that make the boat look small. The owner has pulled out but I cant help thinking that the remaining delivery crew are pushing forward out of bravado with such a huge interest in the trip. It's certainly not a sea to be out in.

markc

Visit site
Some really nasty seas on there that make the boat look small. The owner has pulled out but I cant help thinking that the remaining delivery crew are pushing forward out of bravado with such a huge interest in the trip. It's certainly not a sea to be out in.

That's the sort of first trip that stops new owners venturing out ever again.