Independence | Upadates & Cruising

londonrascal

Visit site
I had a thread running which charted the 'change of direction' I took which then lead to the purchase of a 2002 Trader 535 Sunliner I have named 'Independence'.

I thought as I have got to know the boat a little better and have begun with some changes and updates, along with finding some issues, it would be best to use this new topic as a central place to discuss them, share videos of works and be the place where future cruising videos can be posted too.

This, the first video has been some time in coming since being filmed, but I hope to get back on top of the filming of future updates - and this all working toward 1st February 2018 which will (weather being kind) be the date that the boat is moved from Plymouth to Lowestoft and from there onto the Norfolk Broads and River Yare to a Marina in Brundall - this will be filmed and parts lived streamed if I am able to get a reliable data connection along the coast so those who wish to watch can be part of the adventure too.

Here though, is part one:

londonrascal

Visit site
I have all the crew I need and lots of offers I have had to decline, but now thinking ahead it may be possible for people to come for a day 'between ports' as we make our way up the coast. I the first stop will be Weymouth then we shall overnight there and head off the following morning to [insert place when we decide] and continue doing this - this means we should be able to enter and leave places we are stopping at and which are new to us in the daylight.

Next weekend Carl from CP Fuel Polishing will be coming to deal with the tank cleaning and fuel polishing, and I shall be filming (if he is ok with this) the process and once that is done she is pretty much ready to go. However, in mid January 'Crew Indy' will be arriving to spend 4 days doing a lot more. From a Diver to inspect the rudders, props, hull and get an accurate figure as to her laden draft, to around 30 other points to work through from plumbing to electrics.

I did want to update her navigation electronics, but after an initial rapid and positive response from the boatyard who had looked after her care under the previous owner, they went silent, and while we are doing things 'old school' and I have spent £250 on new charts, I am complimenting the Raymarine plotter with a newly purchased 12" iPad Pro that I will run a suite of Apps including Navionics for a self contained, separately powered backup. You can have a play with their basic web based offering: Navionics Webbapp

Those who exhibit at the London Boat Show next year best be prepared for I will no doubt be making several new purchases there and am looking forward to attending anyway. Still a great deal to do over time to bring her up to a standard I will be happy with but I for one will be pleased to get her away from her current location and the damn Seagulls who absolutely love my decks to leave their little deposits on!

MapisM

Visit site
Nice video, thanks for sharing the experience with us.
I was very close to purchasing a T575 not long ago, and seeing again the accommodation area astern (which is practically identical) made me a tad envious.
For living aboard, it doesn't get any better than that, at this boat size! :encouragement:

A few comments, fwiw:
- ref. fuel tanks, for what can be seen in the video they actually appear in pretty good shape, but the surveyor I was going to use upon my aborted purchase told me that corrosion is not unheard of in mild steel Trader tanks. Just FYI, he also confirmed that if and when they need to be replaced (hardly worth repairing, in most cases), it's an engines out job - no ifs and buts about it, I'm afraid.
- your e/r looks in great conditions, and when I think of the same space filled with Cat C12 engines, yours is MUCH better. As much as I like Cat engines in general, I believe you picked the best boat/engines combo. A few more kts top speed are totally useless, in this type of boat.
- in your boots, I'd chunk that port engine ladder overboard. I guess it was placed there to facilitate the e/r access when the saloon floor is lifted, but realistically, how often are you going to do that? And you can still go through the usual door(s) anyway.
- you definitely must relocate that fuel filter engine hidden on port side.
God only knows what was thinking whoever placed it where it is... :ambivalence:

Looking fwd to next chapter! :encouragement:

londonrascal

Visit site
MapisM Thanks for the reply - the portside fuel filter has been moved there I know not why or when but the holes in the bulkhead match perfectly with the filter holder assembly - this whole filter set up and what can be done is something for another time - but I am sure there is a far better neater and easier to use solution to the current set up. As for the fuel tanks, let us not think about them becoming a problem and leaking. Although I did just have 'one of my ideas' if that were to ever happen I wonder how viable it would be to use what is currently the water tank (GRP) under the aft double and re-purpose it as a fuel tank, then put plastic water tank in the space under the forward double (which has a blocked off water feed running to it oddly enough) and then using some ballet in the old fuel tanks to keep the ship balanced. You would loose more than half your fuel capacity but I recon would work and be easier and s so much cheaper than engines out job, new tanks you name it.

londonrascal

Visit site
Re: Independence | Updates & Cruising

So, time for another update:

In this shorter video, I get on with the final cabin to be cleaned - and I mean all out, full inspection and every surface cleaned down and this time it is the twin cabin on the starboard side. Upon lifting a panel under the bunk I found something odd - possible water ingress from the port light but running down the inside of the hull and not touching the wood that surrounds the port light - it was not wet, and actually appeared to look like a muddy deposit over a long period of time where water had come in with sentiment dried and the black sediment then was left over. I duly cleaned all this away and will keep an eye over time what happens here, since I have a leak in one of the galley port lights that has rotted the wood!

I now need to find out where I can get some faced ply that might not match exactly but at least is of the same colour/finish as what is up currently - I am contemplating doing a temporary fix whereby we stop the leak and attend to the soft wood just to seal it and put a stop to its spread while then working on a permanent cosmetic solution down the line.

I also thought I would give the washer dryer a go -it worked, for a few minutes before water began to gush out the detergent drawer on the front. I duly stopped the machine, cleared up the resultant water from the galley and tried again - worked and then once again flooded out. It did not do this on rinse cycles mind you only on initial fill (and no the drum was not full and overfilling). It may be a partially blocked pipe leading to the drum, but since its performance was less than great I may just be getting a newer machine the fun will be removing the old and getting a new in, as it can only fit through he port side sliding door by the helm.

Next up was the Dishwasher. This was in a terrible state inside so thought why not first put it through a cycle - thing was I did not check the filter and as the machine did it's thing I had no idea that no water was being drained at the end of the cycles, just filling up the interior - more water to clean up, messy, yucky, greasy water at that. However after much time it was not only gleaming but the stiff to open runners on the drawer were smooth running once more and it is a lovely addition to have on board and made short work of the mountain of glassware I found!

Here is the latest episode:

MapisM

Visit site
As for the fuel tanks, let us not think about them becoming a problem and leaking.
Yeah, of course the last thing I wanted to do by reporting what I was told is to envisage the need to do that in your own boat!
In fact, I couldn't see any signs of corrosion in your video, and for all I know they might as well outlive all of us! :encouragement:

IDAMAY

Winter: Algarve Summer: Wherever the boat is.
Visit site
I think you mentioned on the video an fake owl as a possible seagull deterrent. I have a photo somewhere back in the pre digital days of a seagull standing right next to one looking at it in an adoring fashion. IMHO you are much better off with the Caution Tape or I could send you my SWMBO who terrifies the life out of them!

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
As for the fuel tanks, let us not think about them becoming a problem and leaking. Although I did just have 'one of my ideas' if that were to ever happen I wonder how viable it would be to use what is currently the water tank (GRP) under the aft double and re-purpose it as a fuel tank, then put plastic water tank in the space under the forward double (which has a blocked off water feed running to it oddly enough) and then using some ballet in the old fuel tanks to keep the ship balanced. You would loose more than half your fuel capacity but I recon would work and be easier and s so much cheaper than engines out job, new tanks you name it.

Surely if it started leaking you'd go down the route of a liner in the existing tank?

pathadis

Visit site
Hi Robin, If you need a hand with the electronics I'm a dealer for most brands. I keep my boat in Brundall so may see you on the Yare in the near future.

petem

Hi Robin,

A few things that caught my eye from Update 1....

1) This replacement LED's that you're using don't seem to have a voltage regulator. As your boat will often be running at 13v or so, the life of the LED's will be somewhat shortened.
2) Personally, I'd replace those reading lights with new marine grade ones. Domestic once will tarnish and corrode.
3) I understand why you don't want to winterize the boat but have you drained deck / cockpit showers etc (probably too late if you haven't done it already!)?
4) IF the fuel tank ever had to come out, could be accessed from above by cutting away the floor?
5) You say that you can't charge your phone when underway without an inverter or gennie running. You will of course be able to charge it from the 12v system.

MapisM

Visit site
IF the fuel tank ever had to come out, could be accessed from above by cutting away the floor?
That's unnecessary, P.
In the T535 the e/r is right under the saloon floor, and the possibility to lift it is already built-in.
Trouble is, the tanks are on the external sides of the engines, practically under the walkarounds.
That's the reason why I said that removing the tanks is an engines out job. :ambivalence:
Though in fairness to Trader, pulling out tanks is a nightmare of some sort in just about every boat...

wellf100

Visit site
Interesting vids and nice boat. Subscribed! Actually it could make an interesting 3 part story for mby.....The purchase, getting her ready for the sea passage and then the trip round to her permanent mooring.

petem

Though in fairness to Trader, pulling out tanks is a nightmare of some sort in just about every boat...

Not EVERY boat, mine has the fuel tank conveniently placed under the cockpit sole with a full width hatch to gain access. I reckon someone who knew their onions could have it out with an hour. Not that its likely to break as it's all s/s IIRC :).

londonrascal

Visit site
A few things that caught my eye from Update 1....

1) This replacement LED's that you're using don't seem to have a voltage regulator. As your boat will often be running at 13v or so, the life of the LED's will be somewhat shortened.

Not so the ones I have got operate from 9v to 28v - which is why when you look at these sorts of LEDs you need to disregard those that just say '12v'. I have used similar for over year on Broad Ambition without a single failure or issue. I point black refuse to pay over the odds for the 'Marine' ones that are identical and what many chandlers will sell you.

2) Personally, I'd replace those reading lights with new marine grade ones. Domestic once will tarnish and corrode.

The current ones are expensive Brass marine versions - found them online new - and they have corroded and tarnished, just as the down lighters have again all marine grade expensive stuff and has made no odds. It is why I avoid whenever possible 'marine' versions of things which are no better than what you can get elsewhere - just get ones that are not mild steel and painted and you will be fine, I am going of a satin nickel set of lights, nice and cheap at £17 a light.

3) I understand why you don't want to winterize the boat but have you drained deck / cockpit showers etc (probably too late if you haven't done it already!)?

Yep every time I leave the boat the water system is drained, the water pipes to the domestic taps/showers are drained, the sea chests are drained to which sinks and showers drain to. Interior temperature and also engine room temperature is kept at 6c minimum when I am away also.

4) IF the fuel tank ever had to come out, could be accessed from above by cutting away the floor?

I recon that would be possible - yes see the latest video below to see where the tanks are situated and access hatch provided. Cutting away the flooring here would mean direct access to the entire top of the tank.

5) You say that you can't charge your phone when underway without an inverter or gennie running. You will of course be able to charge it from the 12v system.

Yes you are right but that is so much of a compromise and I personally cannot stand doing that even on boats I hire. It is also no good for running laptops and cameras which I will need to be doing for live streaming the passage and filming. But I am not jumping in just yet - 2018 will be the time for major electrical updates.

londonrascal

Visit site
Another update - and some not so good news...

In this video you will see the work that Carl from CP Fuel Polishing did and in so doing we found out the bad news - I cannot balance my port and starboard fuel tanks. There is more about this coming in part two about this where you will see the actual set up in the engine room.

Basically. there are three tanks and a 1" 1/2 pipe that connects them to each other. This in turn has four valves along its length and either the pipe is blocked, or the valves are not working for when Carl was extracting fuel from the starboard tank and pumping it back in filtered to the port tank - the port tank was just filling up and the starboard was just emptying and this in turned caused a list to port. This was exactly what I had been told the previous owner experienced - All Boat Services solution tot his was t isolate the centre tank and 'balance' the other two tanks. Of course this works as a short term solution and if you only cruise short distances, but go further and use more fuel and there is still no way for the tank levels to equalize and also means you'd be filling one tank then having to move the boat and fill the rest on the other side to keep things in trim.

I have therefore been in touch with Mount Batten Boathouse (who were to service the generator and provide spares for the engines) but now I have to get the boat to them in January and I am hiring a 2,000 litre fuel tank to be delivered to the boatyard and then I am buying a large fuel transfer pump and we will remove as much fuel as possible into the tank on the quay, then they will set to inspecting valves, pipes and so on before we re-fill the boat tanks.

This must be done before our passage in February. A local tanker firm had agreed to buy the fuel off me at 40p per litre but this did not include the cost of taking it out the tanks and travel to the boatyard, they also would only do it if the boat was out the water on the hard which is why working with the yard we are going to be doing it ourselves. At the end of the day I want the boat back to how should be and would have been when left the factory that all three tanks can be drawn from, and all three tanks are connected so will always find their equilibrium so far as how much is in each.

In the next update you will see how I have gone on an all out war on the local sea gull population...

Last edited: