I will live-aboard. The clock is ticking

Zanziba

Visit site
I NOW live-aboard. I no longer care about clocks ticking...

This thread is designed to keep me motivated. Feel free to comment (or ignore it).

I'm in my 30's and work in the UK. I have one failed marriage behind me but divorce is a long process and I am far from getting out of the woods yet.

Large debts and no assets to speak of means I am working hard over the coming 12 months or so to end up in the same situation I was in when I was born (penniless).

I have a plan. I started sailing 3 years ago and I have attained competent crew and day skipper since then. I plan further developing my skills this summer with some mile building stuff. If anyone needs a crewman to help out anytime in the UK let me know (I'm in the NW but can travel).

I plan on buying a boat to live on in NW england and continue to work for a few years yet. I believe that I can save about £10k / year at the moment so I think I am looking at about 4 or more like 5 years before I can buy the yacht. I could maybe bring this forward a couple of years if the divorce does not leave me with a bad credit rating and I can get a mortgage on a yacht.

Looking at the yachts and my experience on the two I have stayed on during my courses I think a 37' or 38' Bavaria or similar would be ideal for me (and my kids when they stop over). My main criteria are beds for 4 and shower on board. Budget in a few years will be £35k-£40k I suspect.

Last edited:

tinkicker0

Visit site
Best of luck, I hope it all goes to plan. Get a pic of the yacht of your dreams and stick it on the fridge door to remind you exactly why you are sacrificing pretty much everything for the next few years.

I got a pic of my boat above my desk at work, so I can look at it and have a justifiable reason for putting up with all the c rap I do in that place.

It does help. :)

truscott

Visit site
Good Luck! I experienced a similar situation. Was extremely fortunate to meet a girl who shared the same dream as me (several years after the divorce). We mapped out a plan to get onboard and sail the world, and have been working to it for the last 13 years. Our plan is to move aboard in Summer of 2012. We haven't missed out on enjoying ourselves in the interim either, with many years of windsurfing and sailing along the way, but we did focus on getting our financial house in order before going large. You might like to start with something smaller and more attainable first (Sadler 25 for eg) which gives for glorified camping when the kids are onboard, works fine for 1, and gets you on the water asap whilst you work towards the big one. A starter boat is not going to depreciate by much over the years that you're working towards the dream one and conversely, the dream boat gets cheaper!

It's great to have a dream, better to have a goal, fantastic to have a plan, but... best still to have a life that you're enjoying now.

PT.

Zanziba

Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

My dad has a 29'r foot on Windermere but I couldn't live on it especially with three little critters every fortnight for two nights. I understand the idea of going smaller for my first yacht but I have a feeling it would put me off.

An onboard shower is pretty much essential as I'll soon tire of trawling to the loo's at 6:30am in -6C mornings before going to work...

I want to enjoy the live aboard experience and not be put off by it on my first yacht if it is too small or doesn't have what I need to feel comfortable.

I can wait a few years... just not an eternity.

sarabande

Visit site
look forward to hearing about your journey to getting the boat and sorting her out. In the meantime, come and join in the fun here.

Zanziba

Visit site
Have you considered catamarans ?

Not really. I assumed that they cost a lot more and that the mooring fees would be higher? I'll probably have her moored at Fleetwood Marina and I know that they can cater for Cat's as seen them there.

I have never sailed one mind you!

blenkinsop

Visit site
Living aboard

just to say that great idea, go for it. We did after years of putting kids through university and left still with a mortgage outstanding (house rented out so that is taken care of!), You can be too sensible and having got 3/4 of the way round the world we reckon it is cheaper to live in warm climates and a lot more fun. Caribbean not that cheap but go to Panama or Columbia or round there generally OK - (miss out Venezuela) and you meet lots of people who like a drink! My family live in NW England and are always moaning about the weather - so keep saving. best of luck

Bobobolinsky

Visit site
Buy a cheaper older boat that needs work, get it liveable and move aboard. A quarter of the cost of a house, rough it for a while, the savings will allow you to pay off your debts much quicker and get out of the doody

Liverboard

Visit site
I will live aboard

All the best with your plans - definitely recommend the shower. As for size and therefore number of berths many saloon layouts allow for converting to sleeping arrangements.

You are certainly approaching this in a sensible way and whilst not having experienced the same financial or personal problems you have, it took us many years of planning and research - as well as building up some funds - before we took the plunge and bought our boat. As well as being an economical way of life, we have travelled far and met lots of lovely people.

In the meantime we look forward to you taking part in the forums on YBW as your plan proceeds and eventually - sooner if not later - becomes a reality.

Good Luck!

Lisabet

Zanziba

Visit site
Thanks for the encouragement... anyone in the real world that I discuss this with snorts and makes it obvious they know I am one screw short of a tool kit.

:)

I've taken on-board (Sorry pun not intended) and would consider something older but I do worry about not knwoing much about yachting and ending up with something I simply can't mend.

There are a couple of 1980's Jeaneau 40'rs on the market for only £36k or so which would be ideal but these older yachts seem to have no shower system to speak of and I do think that as a worker doing the grind in the UK that is essential?

Anyone know how difficult it would be to make/fit one in the existing heads? (I'd have to pay someone to at least do it with me as I couldn't possibly do it alone)

I never really understand why larger yachts have two heads? Why not have one heads and sink and then a seperate massive walk in shower?

Tranona

Visit site
Think you need to learn a lot about boats! Showers are way down the list of priorities - even though important for a liveaboard. They are, however, easy to fit once you have thew pressurised hot water system installed!

Few boats are designed for permanent liveaboard, so you have to make compromises to adapt the boat and yourself to that alternative lifestyle. You will find that there is an infinite number of ways to liveaboard. Some like Nathan Lee who posts here regularly lives full time on a tiny 20ft boat whereas others would not consider anything less than a fully kitted out 40 footer. I lived weekdays for a year on a 26 footer when I was younger, but find my current 37 footer just about right - particularly when we kept it in the Med!

Zanziba

Visit site
Think you need to learn a lot about boats! Showers are way down the list of priorities - even though important for a liveaboard.

Without a doubt! Luckily I have at least a few years to learn!

A list of what I consider "Essential" and I mean that in the way that "I need this to be comfortable and happy" - Obviously I could live in the doorway to NEXT but it wouldn't suit my lifestyle.

1) 6' headroom (I'm not living the rest of my life with a stoop)
2) Seperate cabin for me and at least one other (preferably two) for my three kids when they visit each fortnight for a few days
3) Fridge / hob / cooker / sink etc
4) Ability to sail single handed if need be
5) Blue water cruiser capable of easily and safely getting me around the Med and Scotland but also further afield if I choose in years to come (Although I could change yacht I guess at a later stage)
6) Shower - I work in a school, I wear a suit, I live in the UK. I would very bery quickly tire of wandering to the shower block in (Currently -4C) the cold each morning for a shower.
(7) Helm with a wheel, not a tiller.
(8) Inboard engine (Not sure why, I just prefer it)

My ONLY experience, and I know it is not a lot, is of a 37' and 38' Bavarias which I have stayed on for a week each time with a sailing company in Lazarote and Gibraltar. These were absolutely perfect. Aged about 2002 they are beyond my price range at the moment. My father owns a Gibsea 29 on Windermere which I could not live on as it does not meet points (1), (2) or (5) (In fact it has a portaloo in it) and (7).

I understand that I could live on a 20' boat. I could "live" on one. But I don;t think I would enjoy it long term, especially in the UK working everyday.

Tranona

Visit site
Well, I agree a Bavaria 37 is pretty near ideal because that is what I have. Currently £50k would buy you a good one and based on past history money values will stay much the same in the future. At that price point you have a vast choice of mid 30 footers ranging from older boats such as Westerlys and Moodys to more modern Bavs, Bennys etc many of which can be readily adapted for liveaboard. Plus, of course many less popular boats that were built in smaller numbers. However, do not underestimate the commitment needed to own and maintain such a boat, never mind the change in mindset to live on a boat in cold northern climates. You will also find that marinas are not often friendly towards liveaboards so your choice of location can be restricted.

Not intended to put you off - just warn you that such a life is not always as easy as it looks. If you search down this forum you will find a long thread from somebody in a similar position to you who took the plunge this year with a relatively small and cheap boat - good way of finding out if it is for you before you make the big financial commitment.

Zanziba

Visit site
Thanks, I'll have a mooch about the forums.

I think I am afraid of other boats as I have no experience of them so do not know how they handle or their reliability.

I know that owning a yacht takes commitment, but I hope that living aboard means that I will have more time, and much more reason, to learn about and stay on top of repairs and servicing than if I had one as a hobby.

I honestly think it will be between 3 and 5 years before I can even think about my first purchase so I have a bit of time to get a bit more experience.

PlanB

Visit site
We live aboard a 45 foot motor boat - but space and comfort is very important to us.
As far as the shower is concerned, for me one of the worst feelings in life is a damp shower curtain sticking to me, so I always use the marina facilities - warm, more space, more hot water and free! I don't mind the walk.

Baggy

Visit site
The biggest problem living onboard during the winter i is damp

just boiling a kettle on a cold day, the damp will get in every crook and cranny
causing blackmould and mildrew to growing

your clothes will begin to smell

having a shower on board everything will become dripping wet

therefore I would definately use the marina facilities, and why not your
paying for it.

I would recommend getting a dehumidifier
put your dry clean clothes into plastic tubs with lids on

air your bedding especially the underneath the bunk foam cushion

and plenty of paper towels to wipe the drips you will get landing
on your head during the night

hope im not putting you off....

I spent 2 winters as livaboard..
took a while to get into the swing of things, but I thoroughly enjoyed it

Zanziba

Visit site
The biggest problem living onboard during the winter i is damp [snip] the damp will get in every crook and cranny
causing blackmould and mildrew to growing
your clothes will begin to smell
having a shower on board everything will become dripping wet

I would recommend getting a dehumidifier
put your dry clean clothes into plastic tubs with lids on

air your bedding especially the underneath the bunk foam cushion

and plenty of paper towels to wipe the drips you will get landing
on your head during the night

hope im not putting you off....

I spent 2 winters as livaboard..
took a while to get into the swing of things, but I thoroughly enjoyed it

Thank you, an excellent post. Someone did mention damp to me last year but I must admit it slipped my mind. Dehumidifier would be an excellent idea.

I wonder if the marina would give me a morring nearer the showers if I asked as I am living aboard? What current (amps) does a dehumidifier use as I understand I would be limited to about 10-16amps from shore power (and a blow heater will use about 10A)

Garold

Visit site
When we lived aboard a few years ago, we survived by leaving oil filled radiator in the bedroom constantly on a low heat.

It just kept the damp back and kept bedding and clothes feeling fresher.

But just another thought. If you are living aboard all the time, would this not prompt one to fit a small blown air heating system. Whilst this may seem like a low priority spend when doing up a boat, priorities may change if one is working and living aboard.

Having lived aboard in the past, it is clear to me that some features of a boat that suit static live aboards (e.g. nice deck area for sitting out), don't always suit cruising.

Good luck.

Garold

Zanziba

Visit site
Having lived aboard in the past, it is clear to me that some features of a boat that suit static live aboards (e.g. nice deck area for sitting out), don't always suit cruising.

Good luck.

Garold

Great posts guys (and gals?) thanks. I used to live in a house that was damp and I found heaters that burn fuel create a lot of damp themselves. I think a low level electric heater would probably be better, especially as shore power is free (Included in the mooring fees).

Thinking about not needing a shower on board also really opens up my boat options, which is a good thing. It would depend a lot on what the facilities are like at my marina of choice and how far they are away from the yacht. I guess I could shower the night before and rely on the power of Lynx :)

I'm hoping to go to the yacht show in London in January for a mooch about just to look and compare sizes. I'm not convinced, having read some of your posts, that I need a yacht as big as 37'. The problem is unlike buying cars/caravans there is no-where I know of to go and look inside yachts.

What's the headroom like in say a Beneteau 32?