How long can you live at anchor in the UK?

bpbpbp

Visit site
Assuming you find a suitable sheltered anchorage with enough sunlight for an adequate solar system, how long can you stay there?

I'd like to try living and working aboard for a whole summer here in the UK and can already see from recent posts that it's possible in terms of electricity generation, and internet (4G, Starlink). Local water and fuel is available, and waste tank pump out too. So I think the only thing left for me to find out is, anchorage.

ridgy

Visit site
As long as you like generally, however most anchorages are open to weather in at least one direction so you'd have to move at some point.

For what you propose you need a proper swinging mooring which can be had for a reasonable amount in most areas, maybe £700 - £1000 April - October and are usually in all round sheltered spots. Often with facilities nearby and then you don't have to worry about the holding. I suggest that it would be a monumental stress to attempt what you are proposing and nobody does it.
Even on a mooring it would be a a sad existence and for a bit more money you could get a summer berth alongside somewhere.

Basically any location that would be suitable for this anchoring will almost certainly have been populated by moorings.

What boat do you have and what area are you thinking?

Tranona

Visit site
Number of issues here.

First for power. That depends entirely on your expected level of consumption of electricity. If you are living like a hermit using paraffin for lighting and cooking using dried and tinned food and unconnected to the world then indefinitely. As soon as you want to use electricity for boring things like light and keeping your food fresh plus connecting with the outside world you need solar and the amount of energy you can harvest depends on the amount of sun and the size of your array. Realistically with a 10m boat you could be self sufficient in the summer in the UK but probably not for the winter months.

Second for relations with the rest of the world. Again if you are a hermit no problem but if your lifestyle requires interaction particularly physical with the land based world it becomes more difficult as you need a means of getting ashore reliably and safely.

Third is actually getting a safe and secure place to park your boat. Although there are locations where you can lie to your own anchor they inevitably fall short in terms of safety and security plus particularly access to shore.

Many people do manage living independently on a boat in the summer months and perhaps move ashore or into a marina in the winter, but it is not easy. You have to find your own way of getting a boat that is suitable, determining your standard of living and equipping it accordingly.

Sea Change

Visit site
If you're willing to move to accommodate changes in weather, then as long as you want.
There are plenty of deserted lochs with excellent holding and shelter, if you don't mind being quite isolated from people, shops, and transport.
I think the biggest problem would be cabin fever when the weather sets in. When we're cruising around Scotland we almost always end up in a marina at some point, it's just a bit more pleasant in be able to step straight on to a pontoon when the F8 wind brings horizontal rain. But we've also sat out some pretty miserable weather at anchor. After a few days I think you'd be questioning your life choices.

In warmer/sunnier parts of the world, long term anchoring is much more common. We spent a whole summer in the Balearics at anchor, with the exception of a couple of national parks where we had to use a mooring. Similarly, in the Caribbean, we've gone over a year without visiting a marina, except for fuel and water.

lektran

Visit site
Falmouth is a good option, between the Fal and Truro rivers, Carrick Roads, Helford River and plenty of coastal anchorages you have a lot of choices and mostly adequate 4G signal

bpbpbp

Visit site
As long as you like generally, however most anchorages are open to weather in at least one direction so you'd have to move at some point.

For what you propose you need a proper swinging mooring which can be had for a reasonable amount in most areas, maybe £700 - £1000 April - October and are usually in all round sheltered spots. Often with facilities nearby and then you don't have to worry about the holding. I suggest that it would be a monumental stress to attempt what you are proposing and nobody does it.
Even on a mooring it would be a a sad existence and for a bit more money you could get a summer berth alongside somewhere.

Basically any location that would be suitable for this anchoring will almost certainly have been populated by moorings.

What boat do you have and what area are you thinking?
I'm researching my second ever boat. I saw some past YBW post responses from folks living aboard in the UK summers, and I'm curious to hear how that works out - especially if one has to work remotely.

I was struggling to find online information as to how long one can stay in an anchorage, but it seems like there is no limit and I won't get moved on if I behave myself.

It sounds doable as I am open to the option of mooring from time to time, especially in prolonged inclement weather, and intend to have enough solar/battery.

I went to uni in Falmouth and currently live near the Dart, so these places and maybe the Yealm may offer some options. Other boaties and friends in the area may help prevent me becoming too lonely a hermit.

If I inevitably need to be ashore for responsibilities though (eg tenants, if I rent my home), it becomes troublesome - I would want to leave the boat somewhere safe and secure (marina), and I would have to get public transport home and back.

Trident

Visit site
The Dart would be the obvious choice - just up past the Flat Owers there is a great anchorage we used for a couple of months last year. You can get ashore at Dittisham for supplies, there is a water tap there if you want but also you can just pop down to waste pontoon in Dartmouth mid river to fill up with water and dump rubbish , then back to the anchorage. With solar and batteries and Starlink you can do everything in summer months. We have a 50 foot cat so lots of solar etc and even with rain in April for a week at a time still had power to do everything including cook. If you can cook on gas and need only lights, PC and Starlink you'll need much less power.

You can also go to the Dartmouth town jetty overnight - quite reasonably priced - to shop at the supermarkets, fill up tanks and have a meal out etc. Dittisham has the great FBI pub right by the landing pontoon for a drink or pizza and up the hill is the local shop that also does takeaway meals and is a pub and will shop to order from the supermarkets for you too for a few quid. If you buy your harbour dues early you get a big discount and if you want to just try it to start with the Dart does a 90 day dues package which is the same cost as taking about 15 individual days so well worthwhile

As I understand it there is a man right now living it that anchorage for the summer (then goes to a jetty for winter) who works in a local boat builders, he's know to all the friendly Harbour Master river staff and no one minds or wants to move him on etc.

bpbpbp

Visit site
The Dart would be the obvious choice - just up past the Flat Owers there is a great anchorage we used for a couple of months last year. You can get ashore at Dittisham for supplies, there is a water tap there if you want but also you can just pop down to waste pontoon in Dartmouth mid river to fill up with water and dump rubbish , then back to the anchorage. With solar and batteries and Starlink you can do everything in summer months. We have a 50 foot cat so lots of solar etc and even with rain in April for a week at a time still had power to do everything including cook. If you can cook on gas and need only lights, PC and Starlink you'll need much less power.

You can also go to the Dartmouth town jetty overnight - quite reasonably priced - to shop at the supermarkets, fill up tanks and have a meal out etc. Dittisham has the great FBI pub right by the landing pontoon for a drink or pizza and up the hill is the local shop that also does takeaway meals and is a pub and will shop to order from the supermarkets for you too for a few quid. If you buy your harbour dues early you get a big discount and if you want to just try it to start with the Dart does a 90 day dues package which is the same cost as taking about 15 individual days so well worthwhile

As I understand it there is a man right now living it that anchorage for the summer (then goes to a jetty for winter) who works in a local boat builders, he's know to all the friendly Harbour Master river staff and no one minds or wants to move him on etc.
Priceless info, thanks! This really motivates me to take the plunge...

Trident

Visit site
Priceless info, thanks! This really motivates me to take the plunge...
Good luck !

Be aware the flip side though - in winter the guys from the Dart Harbour office I speak to tell me its horrific pretty much anywhere in bad weather - obviously a winter berth (the town quay do them on a first come basis I think ) somewhere with electric and hot showers and walk ashore would be pretty much essential but April to October you'll enjoy most days I hope

ylop

Visit site
Assuming you find a suitable sheltered anchorage with enough sunlight for an adequate solar system, how long can you stay there?

I'd like to try living and working aboard for a whole summer here in the UK and can already see from recent posts that it's possible in terms of electricity generation, and internet (4G, Starlink). Local water and fuel is available, and waste tank pump out too. So I think the only thing left for me to find out is, anchorage.
I think worth working out how long you can go between water and waste visits. One person may not be so bad.
Keep in mind that most boats are not well insulated so you will probably want heating for more of the year than on land. Diesel heaters fairly frugal on fuel, but use a "surprising" amount of electricity - and you'll use them more when the sunlight is least.

Some things to think about:
- if you will need a car, is there somewhere handy you can park it
- you will need some sort of physical address for post, otherwise bank accounts, government departments etc just can't cope
- realistically in 2024 its hard to manage without online deliveries so work out where the nearest amazon and evri style lockers are
- you'll use the tender a lot, size it for the worst conditions and maximum load; personally I'd want one that could confidently tow the mothership in reasonably conditions so you can bring it alongside if there's a problem with the engine
- insurance - if your whole life is on a boat it becomes even bigger risk than just being our beloved hobby; I suspect some insurers will be funny about live aboards, and most probably want a nominated "home mooring". There may be rules about how long you can leave it unattended at anchor
- exercise: boats are cramped, we spend a lot of time sitting down on them, most things are in reach. You'll need to think about some way to remain vaguely in shape unless the boat is luxurious!
I was struggling to find online information as to how long one can stay in an anchorage, but it seems like there is no limit and I won't get moved on if I behave myself.
Mostly theres no limit - but beware if you anchor within some harbour authority areas they will want money! Its also worth considering that if you find a prime spot and need to move the boat for a storm, to get water, etc then nothing to stop someone else taking that spot whilst you are away. Probably they will be transient but in very busy areas that could be a pain.

I dare say if you stay long enough in one spot the Crown Estate will come knocking as you are effectively moored - but if you are moving every few weeks to fill/empty then they should have no argument.

FWIW I think if I were young free and single it sounds like a good way to spend a summer, provided I was able to work on a laptop etc (and employers/customers didn't perceive it as skiving!). As a long term lifestyle I'm not so sure, but if you are earning you could certainly afford a mooring.

Sea Change

Visit site
I dare say if you stay long enough in one spot the Crown Estate will come knocking as you are effectively moored - but if you are moving every few weeks to fill/empty then they should have no argument.
AFAIK this is one of the many situations where the law is much less strictly defined than lay people might assume.
You become 'moored' rather than merely 'anchored' when it effectively becomes your long term position. No actual time limit is set, and there is no particular relevance to the size or design of the mooring/anchoring gear.
I can't remember my sources for this but I did look in to it a few years ago, following a similar enquiry on the forum.

In practise I would expect that if you move when asked to, nobody would be able to bring a case against you.

NormanS

Visit site
I had always assumed that you were "anchored" if when you moved, you took your anchor with you. Conversely, if when you moved, you let go and leave your ground tackle buoyed, you were moored.

Sea Change

Visit site
I had always assumed that you were "anchored" if when you moved, you took your anchor with you. Conversely, if when you moved, you let go and leave your ground tackle buoyed, you were moored.
You would think, but it's not really as black and white as that.

ylop

Visit site
It seems a reasonable first pass at a definition but then some wise guy will come along and suggest that if you foul your anchor and attach a float to it to come back next week with a diving friend to recover it then you owe the Crown Estates money, or a bright spark will say - well if I anchor a dinghy using a ridiculously bit anchor instead of a mooring and bouy then it’s a boat so I can go away and leave it and it’s just at anchor and when I come back and raft my yacht to it it’s not a mooring!

So it has to be more complex than the tackle or whether it is left in situ. I seem to recall when there were arguments about the legality of charging for anchoring in the yachting press perhaps 20 years ago that the distinction was anchoring was a temporary practice in the course of navigation (ie a journey) but mooring was a reasonably permanent installation in one place.

How long before crown estates spotted the same boat in the same spot is a different question - it might depend if you are upsetting someone who grasses you in.

Poignard

Visit site
I suppose that if you anchor long-term in a river or harbour that is under the control of some authority, they will want to charge you for the privilege, or tell you to clear off.

If you find somewhere that is not, in some "wild and lonely place", then life will be so devoid of comfort, convenience and intercourse with your fellow human beings, that you will end up going mad.

Minerva

Visit site
I suppose that if you anchor long-term in a river or harbour that is under the control of some authority, they will want to charge you for the privilege, or tell you to clear off.

If you find somewhere that is not, in some "wild and lonely place", then life will be so devoid of comfort, convenience and intercourse with your fellow human beings, that you will end up going mad.
Not necessarily - there are a number of Scottish Sea Lochs that would provide adequate shelter to anchor for as long as you would like with a community / facilities ashore and good holding but no harbour authority to take an interest in you.

I can think of a few of which with 4g signal where I get ~50mb download speeds so you could work from the boat too.