I will live-aboard. The clock is ticking

cimota

Visit site
I didn't see the second hand boats anywhere but I sent a lot of time clambering in and out of the Beneteau yachts. I was surprised how roomy the First 30 was and the Oceanis 31? they have was really reasonably priced.

Down near the pool there were some Bavaria and Legend boats that were very nicel priced too.

Overall I loved the felling of the yachts, they were all roomy and in one one case did I hit my head ( I'm 6’2 ) and that was going into one of the cabins in a Jeanneau. One of the Jeanneaus was very nice, fitting a microwave in there alongside everything else. I understand these are new boats but in a few years these will be the boats I'll be looking to buy.

Other comments : the floors were very shiny and slippy inside the boats so I recommend the overshoes if you have a choice. And as Beneteau were the only stand that I saw offering overshoes, make sure you wear your best socks. I saw more than one toe poking out from someones socks and in one of the boats in particular, there was a definite sock pong.

Zanziba

Visit site
Ha Ha - Thanks for the heads up. New socks needed :)

I'm very excited. I know that I wont be looking to buy anything this shiney and new but size will give me some idea.

I'll try and get some pics up when I get back.

Zanziba

Visit site
The Boat show was fantastic, much much better than I thought it would be with literally 100+ boats to go on. What a fab day. To top it off two nice guys in motorbike gear handed me free tickets at the door as they had two spare ones and didn't want paying.

Whoever you were - Thanks, that saved me £36!

My thoughts then:

1) The Jeaneau 33 really made me realise what could be done with a smaller yacht. The headroom was excellent and there was a massive difference to the Gibsea 27 that my father owns. I "could" easly live on one of these.

2) The yachts over 40' were too big really, I would be short crewed or single handed much of the time and these would be near impossible to dock and sail alone (IMHO but I stand corrected by those with more experience)

3) The Jeaneau simply didn't impress me. Too much spent on style and a LOT of wasted space on board the larger yachts.

4) My favourite yacht there was the Bavaria 40'. I don't care what anyone says, I really like Bavaria's. They were the best laid out, used the best space efficiently and they're (Relatively) cheap.

5) The 37' and 38' Bavaria's are no longer made but they make a 36' and 40' now (as well as a few bigger ones).

So, I think that my mind is made up. I will save for at least 3 years, get a mortgage and buy a 37' or 38' Bavaria around the 2005 age (So it'll be about 10 years old then). 3 cabin version for me and the 3 nippers.

Was the show a good idea? Yes, I think I learned a lot about space, size and different layouts. I definatly know what I want now in terms of those things which I wasa little unsure of before. I didn't realise the 37' Bavaria's came in two layouts (2 or 3 cabins) so that's also something to watch for when browsing. The modern 36' is similar to the old 37' but I doubt they'll be cheap enough in 3 years time (£90k new)

Tranona

Visit site
You may find the Bavarias from 2000 or so onwards confusing as they changed models almost annually. So you can get 34s 36s 37s and 38s all with basically the same accommodation - just a bit more elbow room as the size rises. The majority are 3 cabin because that is what the charter market liked. For space the 2005 on 37 is the best, but some think it a bit bloated. Personally I prefer my 2001 37 but you can't go far wrong with any of them.

You should still be able to charter 2005 boats - Sail Ionian have some to get a taste of what they are like. Good way to get the family hooked as well!

Tranona

Visit site
How come quite a few of Bavaria's model numbers don't equate to their actual size?
Why? is that a problem? Most actually understate their overall length Mine is actually 37.5 ft LOA and the 34 of the same era is 35ft. Other manufacturers frequently overstate. The Oceanis 343 is 33ft overall.

Its mainly just a label to indicate where it fits in the market. In the good old days LWL was more commonly used to indicate size and today it would be more logical given the move towards short ended boats - the current Bav 32 has a similar lwl to my old 37

V1701

Visit site
Why? is that a problem? Most actually understate their overall length Mine is actually 37.5 ft LOA and the 34 of the same era is 35ft. Other manufacturers frequently overstate. The Oceanis 343 is 33ft overall.

Its mainly just a label to indicate where it fits in the market. In the good old days LWL was more commonly used to indicate size and today it would be more logical given the move towards short ended boats - the current Bav 32 has a similar lwl to my old 37

Not in the slightest, just wondered as it seemed a bit strange to me (especially to understate in this day & age). Another example of it is my (Jeanneau) Sun-Dream 28 which is actually 29.5 feet. They made them between '87 & '91. Jeanneau then used the same mould to make the Sun Odyssey 30 ('93 to '97)...

Zanziba

Visit site
The guy at the show said the Bav36 is actually the same size inside as the old 37' due to moving something about outside (Cockpit back a bit?)

I was a little sceptical but makes sense now.

One thing I didn't like about the show was that some of the huge boats were "View by appointment" and they were "All booked up" even though no-one was on them. I got the distinct impression that they were only letting people through who looked of the right ilk? I may be wrong but it seemed to me they looked you up and down, didn't see the Armani suit and Rolex and said "Sorry it's fully booked for the next 2 days".

Ninpo

www.ivaninsurance.co.uk
Hi all,
I'm new here, I'm pleased that I've found this thread as I'm thinking of taking my RYA SY and RYA CC this year, moving onto RYA DS next year.

I've been wondering for awhile what it's like to be a Liveaboard.

I'm only young (22) but reading through this thread has given me a yearning now :)

Zanziba, GO FOR IT! :D

cimota

Visit site
The Boat show was fantastic, much much better than I thought it would be with literally 100+ boats to go on. What a fab day.

Was the show a good idea? Yes, I think I learned a lot about space, size and different layouts. I definatly know what I want now in terms of those things which I wasa little unsure of before. I didn't realise the 37' Bavaria's came in two layouts (2 or 3 cabins) so that's also something to watch for when browsing. The modern 36' is similar to the old 37' but I doubt they'll be cheap enough in 3 years time (£90k new)

I had a great time as well. I know a lot of folk have been complaining but with no experience to build on, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It gave me a real appreciation for size in the cabin photos.

V1701

Visit site
Hi all,
I'm new here, I'm pleased that I've found this thread as I'm thinking of taking my RYA SY and RYA CC this year, moving onto RYA DS next year.

I've been wondering for awhile what it's like to be a Liveaboard.

I'm only young (22) but reading through this thread has given me a yearning now :)

Zanziba, GO FOR IT! :D

You could contact local yacht clubs or try here on the forums and get some crewing experience that way. Then you can go straight to do day skipper...

Tranona

Visit site
The guy at the show said the Bav36 is actually the same size inside as the old 37' due to moving something about outside (Cockpit back a bit?)

I was a little sceptical but makes sense now.

Yes, for a long time what are called "sugar scoops" were fashionable where the last 2ft or so are effectively a bathing platform. The extra length was effectively free because there is little extra material. Fashions have changed and waterlines have lengthened, including making the bows more upright so cabins can be longer for a given overall length. To keep the bathing and boarding facility many boats now have drop down sterns.

All part of "progress"!

Zanziba

Visit site
Yes, for a long time what are called "sugar scoops" were fashionable where the last 2ft or so are effectively a bathing platform. The extra length was effectively free because there is little extra material. Fashions have changed and waterlines have lengthened, including making the bows more upright so cabins can be longer for a given overall length. To keep the bathing and boarding facility many boats now have drop down sterns.

All part of "progress"!

I also noted that the Bavarias now have teak finishing to the decks and side walkways which looks realy nice. Of course the 2002 model 38' that I'll be looking at in 3 years wont have them!

Zanziba

Visit site
One month gone... 35 to go until I move onto the waves!

Done this month:

1) Visited boat show in London to look at boat sizes
2) Decided pretty much that I want something between 36' and 40' (Probably a 10 year old 37' or 38' Bavaria)
3) Booked another sailing holiday in Lanzarote for this Easter to brush up on skills and work toward my Coastal Skipper.

I feel that I am still very motivated and going in the right direction. I wont save any money over the next couple of months due to the holiday but I think that gaining experience is going to be essential. Also doing the VHF course while I am there.

Zanziba

Visit site
I met Nathan yesterday and had a good look around Preston Marina, this will probably become my home when I get my yacht. Surprised by how much cheaper it is than Fleetwood and this could in theory bring my yacht purchase nearer as I will have more money in my pocket when I move aboard.

Got an absolutely lovely sunset photo. How can I put it on here? (It's on FaceBook at the moment)

Zanziba

Visit site
PrestonMarina.jpg

PRESTON MARINA :)

dt4134

Visit site
I also noted that the Bavarias now have teak finishing to the decks and side walkways which looks realy nice. Of course the 2002 model 38' that I'll be looking at in 3 years wont have them!

Teak might look nice but it becomes a maintenance nightmare when it gets older. Especially if it is just teak faced ply, which I wouldn't be surprised to find Bavaria had used.

Best of luck with your plans.

Zanziba

Visit site
Well, another month over...

I've spent the month learning more about prices of yachts to get a feel for things when I am ready to buy. I also visited Conway harbour to look at the yachts there, speak to the office to compare mooring fees/services with Preston / Fleetwood and also to check out the For Sale section. Very nice Beneteau 381 for £59k available.