I will live-aboard. The clock is ticking

Kaya

Visit site
Nice one - and good luck,

I sat on a beach in 1997 and made a plan that would ultimately see me living on a boat, i went to uni in 2000 in the interview i told them my long term goal was to live on a boat, i just brought my first boat! with mooring and i'll moving onboard in about 6 weeks! So no more working so i can pay the bills to live where i live so i can keep the job that pays the bills that allows me to...

Keep straight to your path and you'll get there mate, looks like your close too - took me nearly 15 years! no worries :)

Kaya

TopDonkey

Visit site
I'll have to pick up the alison noice version of the book then i think.

I have started part time living about my boat even though its still on the hardstanding and still a project !, its wonderful to lay in the front v berths and look up at the stars through the open hatch at night from in bed, its just rather chilly if you fall asleep doing so and forget to close the hatch !!

a couple more months of hard work and i expect my boat to be on its way round to the south coast for me to live on it full time properly

Vern

Visit site
I'll have to pick up the alison noice version of the book then i think.

I have started part time living about my boat even though its still on the hardstanding and still a project !, its wonderful to lay in the front v berths and look up at the stars through the open hatch at night from in bed, its just rather chilly if you fall asleep doing so and forget to close the hatch !!

I will try that tomorrow :D
Onboard for a few nights.

Zanziba

Visit site
Just got back from Lanzarote... Thanks for the posts guys, GREAT to hear others are so close or have managed to make the move aboard!

Lanzarote was great, lovely sailing and I really learnt a lot and brushed up my skills. I am definately going to spend this summer sailing as much as possible if I can get people to allow me to crew for them... I am going to join Fleetwood club and post a request there for starters.

Saw two Bav42's whilst away and took a photo of me stood by one HAHA - good for keeping me on track with my plan.

So, April nears the end... Saved a little, sailed a lot and done my VHF licence course and sent off for the licence. Not a bad month but most importantly, a month nearer my goal.

Oh, and Lancelot from this forum was on the yacht with me in Lanzarote with his wife... small world eh?

cimota

Visit site
Just got back from Lanzarote... Thanks for the posts guys, GREAT to hear others are so close or have managed to make the move aboard!

Lanzarote was great, lovely sailing and I really learnt a lot and brushed up my skills. I am definately going to spend this summer sailing as much as possible if I can get people to allow me to crew for them... I am going to join Fleetwood club and post a request there for starters.

Were you in Lanzarote for a specific sailing holiday/course?

Zanziba

Visit site
Were you in Lanzarote for a specific sailing holiday/course?

Yes, I was doing Coastal Skipper Training. I completed all but two sections of it (Adverse weather as we didn't have any and a bit about sailing as I need to practice my sail trim and wind awareness a bit more)

:)

Zanziba

Visit site
Crumbs! I'm still looking forward to getting a week off from the day job to go do Competent Crew!

Life can get to be too busy to get anything done! Competent Crew is a good course but Day Skipper will involve more navigation and tide calculations which would prove essential to safe passage plannning IMHO - I'd aim for that as a minimum. It also enables you to send off for your international licence if you want to charter abroad.

cimota

Visit site
Life can get to be too busy to get anything done! Competent Crew is a good course but Day Skipper will involve more navigation and tide calculations which would prove essential to safe passage plannning IMHO - I'd aim for that as a minimum. It also enables you to send off for your international licence if you want to charter abroad.

Do you reckon I could do Day Skipper without Competent Crew?

mandlmaunder

Visit site

Call the sailing schools in your area or where ever you fancy doing the Day Skipper course and ask what they require, but I think you can go straight into Day Skipper without the Comp crew.

Or call the RYA direct and they can recommend a school or schools in your chosen area. I did when I decided to learn to sail and they gave me a list of several in the area where I want to spend my time.

Mark

Zanziba

Visit site

Yes you can. Buy Alison Noice's book "The Day Skipper" and read and understand it fully and you should be fine. Also ensure that you have a general knowledge of how to sail and some experience but nothing arduous!

cimota

Visit site
I don't - but yesterday I was talking to a local retired Yachtmaster Instructor so I'll give him a ring and ask him. He said he'd be happy to take me out for a spin in his 38ft! If you want to come along?

That's the book I ordered - should be arriving this morning.

Those guys are in Larne? How do you know?

Last edited:

playford

Visit site
let me know what you think of the book.

I have emailed the fella from yachtmaster in larne about dates for the vhf course, will let you know the crack once he gets back to me. £90 is waaaay cheaper then travelling to england :)

Despite having done a bit of dinghy sailing I still feel im pre competant crew stage on a larger boat, you've been over sailing to tenerife etc havent you.

I'll be sailing the boat over in august so that will give me a few days sailing that will get me up to crewing level at the latest. it'll be moored then til i do a day skipper practical.

Just in case your inviting me presuming I have far more experience than I have lol

cimota

Visit site
I phoned the guy and he said that though he was retired he'd be happy to take me out to learn the basics. He also said I could bring a friend as well so if you're interested.

I'm a complete noob so it's a great chance to get out on a larger boat and you've far more experience than I! I've considered just buying a boat but I really want to learn how to sail it first. And I've ha a few courses fall apart locally - it's hard to get tuition - part of the problem with a small population.

If the bloke in Larne needs two for the class, let me know. I'm interested. And may find a third.

Zanziba

Visit site
Went down to Albert Dock and Liverpool marina at the weekend for a poke about and a looksie...

I liked the area but it is a real shame that you can't get a good look at the yachts here. I assume that this is for security reasons but it does seem a shame that such lovely yachts aren't being used as a tourist focus.