How should I mount a Tender, Options needed and show me yours.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Friends had their rib fill with water on an Atlantic crossing. They now remove it and deflate and lash to the foredeck. It didn't do any damage luckily
The drain valve is left open nearly all the time and it’s quite high out of the water which mitigates the risk but I take your point. I did consider deflating it but the cockpit locker is full and I’d need to add a bracket to put the outboard on. There’s no spare room…!

john_morris_uk

Thanks Martin, that’s exactly how i imagined ours to be.

I’ll measure the stern next time I see her.

Cheers.
The advantage of proper davits over snap davits is that you don’t need to remove the outboard every time you stow the dinghy. Our Westerly is 39’ long by the way so very comparable.

Minerva

Visit site
We have a skinny tubed Avon Sea Rover 280 on our boat. Takes 10 mins to inflate so we deflate it every time we sail and reinflate in the afternoon once anchored. But the skinny tubes make it super splashy and wet.

With the proliferation of SUPs there is a good number of 12v high speed inflating pumps available now.

I’m sorely tempted to buy a big tubed, 3.3m inflatable V floor dinghy and a high speed 12v pump. Would be lovely to have a dry ride in a tender!

Martin_J

Visit site
The advantage of proper davits over snap davits is that you don’t need to remove the outboard every time you stow the dinghy. Our Westerly is 39’ long by the way so very comparable.
Indeed... Had to add a crane when we got the 6hp 4stroke..

Screenshot_20210806-134505_Gallery.jpg

Trouble is the two smaller outboards got stored elsewhere on board... and they're still there "just in case".

As is the other (non-rib) dinghy..

Martin_J

Visit site
TBH... Without covid we'd not have gone for the rib.. I was quite happy keeping the old tender in a locker and spending ten minutes inflating it each time it was needed.

During covid meant with two dinghies we could 'keep our distance' from friends, hence the extra.

The davits and bigger engine and outboard crane all followed on from that...

Without covid we'd still have just one dinghy (kept in a locker), two small outboards and and probably be just as happy.

Alistairr

Visit site
Proper Davits would be the ultimate, as you say to save taking the Outboard off everetime, however I’m sure cost would be massive, but might be worth enquiring.

Which companies would I approach to make enquiries for proper Davits?

Cheers.

Martin_J

Visit site
Our marina would also re-measure and charge more for davits overhanging the stern..

With the dinghy in the snap davits which are mounted partially up the sloping transom, it only adds a few inches to the overall length.

lustyd

Visit site
we feel a keel and hard bottom for the dogs would be better
You are 100% correct, just don't get the Cadet Alu! The hard floor and keel really help with carrying load and motoring in any kind of chop or wash, they're a bugger to put together and exceptionally tight when new and dry (hint, lube them or at least get them wet!). The modern Cadet Alu has been designed for looks above all else and seems to be designed to stay inflated on the stern of motor boats where it will rarely be used and if it is it'll always be motored. Look for something with modern locking inflate valves as a bare minimum, but I'd also recommend a bung based drain (or even better no drain at all), tubes that aren't white, and whatever you buy check the build quality immediately and return if bits are falling off. We bought during Covid so I never even really complained about the alu strut ends not being secure and accept responsibility for that one. If possible, get a demo and try rowing - in my experience my old Waveco with the crappy looking metal screw rowlocks with a hole through the oar were really good to row with and the oars didn't move.

My experience is based on a two month cruise around the channel last year. For occasional use it's even more frustrating unless permanently inflated

Our marina would also re-measure and charge more for davits overhanging the stern..
Our marina policy is that anything able to be removed quickly without tools doesn't count. On modernish but not too modern AWBs the davits won't overhang a lot and will often line up almost to the sugar scoop. folding or extending davits will solve this issue entirely but read the Ts&Cs.

john_morris_uk

Proper Davits would be the ultimate, as you say to save taking the Outboard off everetime, however I’m sure cost would be massive, but might be worth enquiring.

Which companies would I approach to make enquiries for proper Davits?

Cheers.
Our davits are by Whittall but their company/name was bought by Simpson Davits | Cooney Marine

They seem to be one of the main manufacturers nowadays.

john_morris_uk

With the dinghy in the snap davits which are mounted partially up the sloping transom, it only adds a few inches to the overall length.
In all the marinas we’ve been in between UK and Caribbean the only one to measure our boat length and charge extra for davits was Rubicon in Lanzarote.

Tranona

Visit site
In all the marinas we’ve been in between UK and Caribbean the only one to measure our boat length and charge extra for davits was Rubicon in Lanzarote.
It is permanent berths where measuring overall length from tip of bowsprit/anchor/pulpit to davits and dinghy/transom hung rudder/windvane etc is now common. Our club measures area - measured length * maximum beam for charges. Penalised for the Bavaria because of beam. Perversely berths also have have a minimum as well as a maximum length so my Golden Hind, nominally 31'6 is actually over 10m on the club measurement system so could stay in the same berth but at a lower rate because it is 2' narrower You win some lose sum and really won this time because the berth was made extra wide for me when I got the Bavaria and can't be changed because there is one of the main piles between me and the next boat.

Kelpie

Visit site
We got quite lucky with our davits- they cost me a bottle of wine plus about £60 for the courier. Came off the same design of boat so I knew they would fit.
They're pretty agricultural, but they're strong enough. I'm sure the raw materials would have cost <£250, if that. Do you know a welder/fabricator?

On a steeply raked stern like the Bavaria, I would be tempted to make a hinged frame that couples to a stern arch. That will pull the dinghy forward as it lifts, whereas conventional fixed davits would have to be very long.

Tranona

Visit site
There are threads on the Bavaria forum about building arches particularly on the Ocean models because so many are used as liveaboards or long term cruisers. A hinged frame for the dinghy has featured on some of the constructions.

john_morris_uk

There are threads on the Bavaria forum about building arches particularly on the Ocean models because so many are used as liveaboards or long term cruisers. A hinged frame for the dinghy has featured on some of the constructions.
If I had a blank canvas I’d certainly look at a large stern arch with davits built in plus room for solar on top. Some boats we see can come stern to and drop the dinghy on the dock to allow access. Others have the dinghy so high you can walk underneath it. If we get a stern to med style berth we have to drop the dinghy and tie it to the bow just before reversing into position.

Tranona

Visit site
Agree, but would be wary of all that weight and windage high up. I can see the value for cruisers and liveaboards like you (and many Bavaria Ocean owners) who can except these negatives in return for the convenience and versatility, but I think the OP is coastal cruising in Scotland west coast where the more normal alternatives of stowing inflated on deck towing or storing deflated either on deck or in a locker are more appropriate. None ideal and you may use each of them in different situations.