How should I mount a Tender, Options needed and show me yours.

Babylon

Visit site
20120831_175257.jpg

What's wrong with this? Boat is 27ft (photo was 2012, topsides since resprayed), tender was 8ft (rotted eventually as was already old and of cheap ply), currently using a 2.4m inflatable with hard transom but still kept capsized on foredeck when cruising.

Inflatable can easily be launched/recovered by hand over the guard-rails, but the hard tender used a simple rope-cradle and a block-and-tackle (1:8 advantage) clipped to the spinnaker halyard.

One day I'll finish this Iain Oughtred Humble Bee pram:

DSC_0347.JPG

ashtead

Visit site
I suspect the answer to this might be strongly influenced by budget.
If I was setting off for the Med say I might at the top end of budget be tempted to invest in a fabricated stern arch with solar on top and high enough to pass under but as said weight is up high and you might require to keep the larger outboard attached hence requiring the thicker diameter poles but I suspect such a rig might cost circ £5k based on limited knowledge.
If you rule out the gantry fabricated you could have made a frame from cockpit tent width poles but it won’t hold any weight or outboard but a lot cheaper and potentially unboltable but more fragile -that said I know of a ds41 which crossed Atlantic having constructed such a frame but I suspect dinghy kept below during passage so just used for short trips around islands I suspect.
Option 3 for a few £k say 2-3 I guess might be a BAT system -if interested look at The utube sailing RAN for one on a Najad 46
Option 4 is snap davits but clearly limits dinghy size but cheaper than above solutions
Option 5 is alu hull dinghy kept deflated forward of sprayhood -depends on space but seen this on a Dufour 39ish;
Option 6 -keep in locker if you have a large stern one? And have a powered winch to lift bag out of locker base plus the buying of electric pump-ryobi do one that also blows up tyres and battery fits other tools etc so it’s what I use after trying various ones with trailing wires to boat battery out window/hatch;
I would also buy an outboard crane unless you want to stick to a secondhand 2 stroke 3.3 mercury etc. we now have a 4stroke at 6hp but it’s a lump to manage unless with strong crew.
We actually have 2 inflatables using dependent on crew numbers plus the paddle boards and a sevlor 2 person canoe .
Hope that gives a few ideas.

RupertW

Visit site
A lot depends on where you aren sailing. In the UK I’d probably have davits but in Med, Canaries and Caribbean your stern is your front door for swimming and tying stern to to harbour walls and marinas. So the foredeck works best for our rib.

Kelpie

Visit site
A lot depends on where you aren sailing. In the UK I’d probably have davits but in Med, Canaries and Caribbean your stern is your front door for swimming and tying stern to to harbour walls and marinas. So the foredeck works best for our rib.
We're finding davits work just fine in the Caribbean. You really need to lift the dinghy every night to prevent growth, and in some areas for security. Yes you can just lift it amidships but then you have to relocate it when you sail.

RupertW

Visit site