Home Made Volvo Penta 2003 Instrument Panel

DeFries

Visit site
Comrade Red, I like to explore your 4 attachments in the first post of this tread. But they seem to be no longer available. Is is possible to post them again?

DeFries

Visit site
Pt2 - DIY Volvo Penta 2003 Instrument Panel

Following a whole tale of woe and frustration (see http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?406071-DIY-volvo-penta-instrument-panel), I decided not to spend the £200+ to get a replacement module, and with the help of circuit diagrams and some emails from the thread above, I set out to make my own, despite having not made any circuits since I was at school (a while ago).

All the components came from Maplins. No veroboard was in stock so I used plain board and pins.

I was unsure of the component wattages required so I hope I have erred on the side of caution.

The resistors are wire wound. I could not get a zenner diode of the right voltage (3.3v) at anything execpt low wattage, so I clustered 4 together in parallel.

I beefed up D1 as it is the main power into the circuit.

I took the original VP circuit diagram provided by CEPD, and added / modified it. My VP 2003 does not have glow plugs so there is one light redundant. I have added a circuit (the Aux circuit) to use that bulb for a switched (to negative) output from a cheap chinese ebay programmable temperature sensor which will get mounted on the exhaust.

My circuit diagram is below, along with the plan for the build, and a front and back photo of the finished board.

It tests out OK at home with a 12v bench supply.

It will get fitted to the boat tomorrow.

I am assuming I will not be able to recycle the 4 x bulb cluster as they are an integrl part of the broken module and it is all potted in, so I have instead gone with 4 x 4w BA9 bulbs and holders: I reckon the holders will fit somehow behind the coloured lens for the warning lamps. I will post some pics when this part is sorted.

So if you have a dodgy VP Control Panel, this is how to make your own and save several hundreds of pounds !! Enjoy.

View attachment 44960

View attachment 44959

View attachment 44957

View attachment 44958

Comrade Red, I like to explore your 4 attachments in the first post of this tread. But they seem to be no longer available. Is is possible to post them again?

freaky930

Visit site
Has anyone built one of the Arduino ones lately and can share some pictures of how the resistors and components are aligned and assembled?
Also maybe a more legible drawing? I can't get my head around how to actually build that thing ;-)
All the other pages about the diy panel have somehow disappeared unfortunately.

Cheers,

Will

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Rehosted because I don't trust the forum software not to lose these again in the future;

m0VRc5r.jpg

zzYEq2P.jpg