Home Made Volvo Penta 2003 Instrument Panel

Tintin

Visit site
A note about cutting open and reusing the light block for the lights.

With a dremel or saw make your cut at 14mm back from the main body on the light side. You can the pick out the potting compound to get to where the bulb holders are soldered onto the pcb to attach your new wires.

Also remove the transistor.

Common up the -ves.

If a bulb holder spring is rusted out contact me for my solution.

www.bavariayacht.info

superheat6k

Visit site
Yippee I have joined the 'I have made a VP engine alarm indicator panel at home' club.

Firstly many thanks to ComradeRed, RIBW and Nigelmercier for their direct and indirect advice. After the explanation provided by RIBW not a difficult circuit at all - the complexity / confusion of the Zener / diode pair and transistor / potential divider group are just to drop the voltage to the buzzer alarm. Why ? - Not a clue.

Anyway I have made a couple of mods ...

Used the spare heater light for the Exhaust temp sensors, reversed the circuit so need to change the temp boxes to ground (-VE) the fault signal, rather than send a +VE signal to the lamp, but added a link diode to the alarm test connection, along with similar from the oil pressure, temperature and Alt warning lamps.

Now if I press the test button all four lamps plus the buzzer come on.

I didn't fit the diodes to the alt output to test the lamps at engine start, so only the Oil pressure and Alt lamps will illuminate at engine start.

But I also installed a small relay with wirewound resistor to replace the direct lamp for exciting the alternator - used a 47ohm 7watt, but may increase this to around 60 or 70 ohms as it is pulling 270 ma, and does get quite warm. The Relay NC switches the lamp on when the Alt is not running. When the Alt excites the voltage rise switches the relay on, thus turning the Alt light out, and by using the relay allows the diode test cct above to work.

My soldering skills on the narrow vero strips has distinctly improved, just need to learn how not to allow to much solder to flow.

Now three more to make.

Incidentally this isn't just for the VP 2003, but probably any VP engine panel with this common 4 lamp indicator panel.

simonfe

Visit site
So having swamped my VP engine control panel this weekend, the alarm now sounds continuously.

After reading this excellent thread and with gratitude to those who have posted, particularly superheat6k for your PMs :encouragement:, I have decided to take up the challenge set by AngusMcDoon earlier in the thread and attempt to "write a few lines of code" and use a cheap micro-controller to provide the sensing and alarm functionality.
My plan is to mimic the later style of panel incorporating flashing warning lights and silence the alarm by pushing the test button. Also as per superheat6k suggestion put an exhaust overheat alarm in place of the glow light as I don't have pre-heat on my old 2003.

I haven't written any code in 20 years so I'm expecting it to be fun even if I don't succeed.:confused:

I plan to use rapid prototype plastics to build a housing to put it in so I don't wreck the old unit just in case I fail and need to salvage it for rebuild.

I'll post my progress, meanwhile if anyone has a replacement black panel which this all mounts to please can they let me know as the corners have snapped off mine when screwing it back on. I think the VP number for this is 827298 I seem to be able to get one for 63 euro but would prefer not to spend that for a fairly simple moulding. I don't think a rapid prototype one would be durable enough or I'd print one!

simonfe

Visit site
Ok so the parts arrived and I have it working on the bench, pics below....

The prototype:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69637547@N00/18144689363/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69637547@N00/18739073896/in/dateposted-public/

The alarm test button lights all the LEDs and sounds the buzzer, when an alarm sounds the relevant LED flashes at 1/2 second rate, a push of the test button mutes the alarm which then gives a 1/2 second burst every 10 secs.:encouragement:

Next step is to put in a housing and fit it to the boat!

superheat6k

Visit site
Keep us informed of your progress. I found the bright white LEDs from Maplins most effective.

Can you slot the pcb assembly in to the original housing ?

simonfe

Visit site
Keep us informed of your progress. I found the bright white LEDs from Maplins most effective.

Yes that was my plan, but I have chosen Red with integral ballast resistors because it removes 4 resistors from the circuit. Fewer components and fewer solder joints.
I couldn't find any White with integral ballast resistors:(

Can you slot the pcb assembly in to the original housing ?

Easily, with room to spare see pics below...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69637547@N00/18838626622/in/datetaken/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69637547@N00/18846434331/in/datetaken/

superheat6k

Visit site
Re: Pt2 - DIY Volvo Penta 2003 Instrument Panel

I found a strip of Vero board allowed me to match the LEDs to exactly match the position of the original lamp holes.

Its a bit tedious and messy but I drilled out the old rubber compound and components by not going too deep and loads of drill presses, then carved out with a chisel , screw driver and Stanley knife.

Not used the Arduino stuff before. How easy / difficult is the programming language - I could think of lots of ideas for this technology.

simonfe

Visit site

I found a strip of Vero board allowed me to match the LEDs to exactly match the position of the original lamp holes.

Its a bit tedious and messy but I drilled out the old rubber compound and components by not going too deep and loads of drill presses, then carved out with a chisel , screw driver and Stanley knife.

Thanks for the advice. I have decided, for now, to go for a new box and not dig out my existing one, I found a case from Farnell that looks like it will fit and be easy to seal. Will post my findings.

Not used the Arduino stuff before. How easy / difficult is the programming language - I could think of lots of ideas for this technology.

Yes very easy, I had previously used assembler many years ago and this is so much simpler:), also there is a great simulator available that helps to see variables etc when you are debugging

I have some spare Arduino boards PM me if you like to borrow one, I can programme it up to give the functionality I'm using so you can play and make you own mods... I am not a programmer but there are so many examples available on line that you can use to cut and shut from (hacking):):)

simonfe

Visit site

My version of a DIY VP alarm is all done, fitted and working. I decided to make the case to fit using 3D printing rather than using an off the shelf case, I did find a case that would fit from Farnell 239-3871 but decided it was easier to model one.

The pictures are here, as I still don't know how to put pictures into the posting!? (advice welcome:encouragement:)
http://www.ybw.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1235

Now for some long term testing....

Thanks again for all the postings and advice.

brccd

Visit site

Hi, I know this is an old thread...I am having issues with my panel! Started looking at the schematic...and am thinking of re-doing it as well. Looks like you worked it all out however! Any chance on getting the info on your setup?
Thanks,
Bert

brccd

Visit site

hello simonfe,
Hi, I know this is an old thread...I am having issues with my panel! Started looking at the schematic...and am thinking of re-doing it as well. Looks like you worked it all out however! Any chance on getting the info on your setup with the arduino?
Thanks,
Bert