help?

clueless

Visit site
hi,

I'm a student and i'm in the middle of a final year project which i would really appreciate your help with....i've produced a questionnare with 5 questions about safety and risk at sea and i'd really appreciate it if you could fill it in if you have time. there's only 5 questions and it'll take less than 5 minutes of your time and would really really save my project from the approaching doom which is the result of having spent too many weekends sailing and not enough studying.

heres the link. http://202.64.35.180/~sall/questionaire.php

If you have any qustions or comments about things in the questionnare (or anything else!) then do let me know!

jenni

snowleopard

Visit site
as i said briefly in the questionnaire, risk has two components:

how likely is it to happen?

how dangerous is it if it does happen?

neither alone is a fair measure of risk, e.g.

being in vicinity of exploding nuclear sub: very unlikely but disastrous if it did happen

spilling your beer while tacking: very likely to happen but not the end of the world.

professional risk assessment would give factors for likelihood and severity of consequences and multiply them to give a weighted risk factor.

of course your granny may already know how to suck eggs!

peterb

Visit site
British Standards Institution publish glossaries of terms, and have tried to use a definition of "risk" which can be common to many different fields. In general, it is "the product of the probability of occurrence of an event and the consequence or extent of damage to be expected on the occurrence of that event."