Golden Globe Race

capnsensible

Visit site
Must admit, not being paying too much attention up to now, but mebbe because they will, 11 days in, be sailing through my back garden, Ive become very interested!

What a brilliant challenge. The only UK entrant, Susie Goodall, will get our support now all the way! Tremendous goal for all the skippers.

http://goldengloberace.com/livetracker/

Must say, yellowbrick is its usual 'a bit pants' but makes following the race a bit more interesting.

Too much news for me to go on about here, but looks like one retired broken from the start, one retired, bravely, personal. One gonna have to take a hit and put into Rubicon for repairs and the leader oopsadaisy on the first mark and is now tacking back to go round it.

Will try some pictures from the breakwater later but the mark is a bit of a way out. Working on a charter boat this afternoon though so if timing is right, may get some better ones.

A big good luck to all the entrants!! :encouragement:

capnsensible

Visit site
Well the first three have passed the Rubicon (!) gate and I managed to miss all of them...

However I was able to deliver a great dit to todays guests and got a fab picture of....... a yellow buoy.

Might be of interest to Yealm? ;)

SV Kittiwake

Visit site
Do you have the name of the race?

The Longue Route one is viewable here:

http://www.longueroute2018.com

Although the website is a bit less plush than the GGR and it's not got as much info (or maybe the info is harder to find). It's more open, with all sorts of boats in it, including a Nic 32, a Beneteau Oceanis and some custom metal boats. Intersting if Tony Curphey in his Nic 32 finishes as high as he's currently placed. Might vindicate the GGR2018 rule makers from all the abuse they've been getting.

Seven Spades

Visit site
Susie Goodall the only Briton taking part is in credible 5th place so far. I think she will become very well known by the time this race finishes and will be offered Honorary membership of lots of Solent based yacht clubs with whom she has no connection.

capnsensible

Visit site
I reckon the thing Im enjoying about this race is that they are averaging the kinda six or so knots that I normally seem to get when trundling around oceans (various).

I wonder if the Hugo Rocket Volvo stuff would make my nose bleed? :)

capnsensible

Visit site
Bet you didn’t get Don trying to run you down with that Rib?

Just been speaking with him up on the dock near reception. What a nice bloke. :encouragement:

Went out on the tender to see if I could find Antoine Cousot who is coming in for repairs to his windvane steering.

Its a new to me dinghy around 2m with a bit too much horsepower on the outboard. So I kinda shot out of the harbour leaning right forward to get it planing whist avoiding a friend of mine teaching on a motor boat. You have to be prepared to use fingertip control on the throttle whilst getting soaked.....

Anyway, didnt find him until I turned back into the harbour where he is tied up near Reception.

End result, finally seen one and spoke to Don. Result. :cool: