Golden Globe Race

capnsensible

Visit site
Yeah, looks like another one has got to turn back for a windvane repair and Susie Goodhall got goffered with a following wave coming to say hello to the inside of her boat.

Bathdave

Visit site
A surprise to me is that 3 have jacked it in because they didn't like it ....seems very early into it, what I don't really understand is what preparatory solo offshore sailing did they do before committing a massive amount of money, effort and heart to what was always going to be very challenging ....I would have expected them to have worked it out before entering the race.

capnsensible

Visit site
Entrants must show prior ocean sailing experience of at least 8,000 miles and another 2000 miles solo, in any boat, by 1st March 2018.

Thats off their website. :encouragement:

The tracker is interesting.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Its the wind vane steering systems that seem to be causing the problems.
I meant the wind vane's.

Odd to hear there have been a few skippers retire so soon, but I don't get the logic of the event. Let's do something in hulls that were designed 50 years ago (I bet everything else rope, sails etc will be up to date) and sail round the planet.

Out of interest what wind vanes were they using?

SV Kittiwake

Visit site
I think there's a variety of wind vanes in use.

I know what you mean about the event, but despite the slight contradictions of some of the rules, I find this far more interesting than if they were doing it in IMOCA 60s or something. It definitely makes it more open to normal(ish) people as the original event was.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I know what you mean about the event, but despite the slight contradictions of some of the rules, I find this far more interesting than if they were doing it in IMOCA 60s or something. It definitely makes it more open to normal(ish) people as the original event was.
True, I get frustrated at the Vendee Globe now they have included foils. Really think there needs to be two prizes one for sailing and one for flying. ;)

Perhaps a "Bronze Globe" for modern day boats with modern kit.

Hacker

Visit site
If you search through their a Facebook page their is a video of Don describing the different ones being used. Also a video of him showing an example of an auxiliary rudder one and a servo-pendulum one.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Interesting posting on one of the Facebook pages I am on.

URGENT SALE…Kevin’s #GGR2018 1993 Tradewind 35 is FOR SALE!! First reasonable cash offer in the next four weeks. Ready to go with a working HYDROVANE, all GGR safety gear, charts, sextant, almanac etc etc etc, 9 months food just step onboard and cruise to the Pacific or Caribbean or around the world. Maybe an early start for #GGR2022…email Offers to DON@ www.GoldenGloberace.com This was the designer builders own personal boat specially strengthened and able to sail anywhere in safety. Kevin is headed back to the mountains!! Yes it may be a bargain for someone!?..AS IS WHERE IS Canary Island MMMMarina Rubicón Sailing Center(TW35 drawing by Francois Chevalier)

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
. . . Out of interest what wind vanes were they using?

This is my punt at an answer. Anyone else know better?

Abhilash Tomy - Windpilot - Atkins ketch
Antoine Cousot - Windpilot - Biscay 36 (reported having problems with his Windpilot - stopped in Canaries to fix)
Are Wiig - Monitor - OE 32 class
Gregor McGuckin - Hydrovane - Biscay 36
Igor Zaretskiy - Windpilot? - Endurance 35
Istvan Kopar - Windpilot - Tradewind 35 (reported problems with his Windpilot)
Jean-Luc van den Heede - Hydrovane - Rustler 36
Kevin Farebrother - Hydrovane - Tradewind 35 (retired)
Loïc Lepage - Hydrovane - Nicholson 32 Mk X
Mark Sinclair - Aries - Lello 34
Mark Slats - ??? - Rustler 36
Philippe Péché - Monitor - Rustler 36
Susie Goodall - Monitor - Rustler 36
Tapio Lehtinen - Windpilot ??? - S&S Gaia 36
Uku Randmaa - Monitor - Rustler 36

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
I'd like to know that too

It seems there's a wee bit of controversy in the air. Peeps might care to wade through this.... http://windpilot.com/blog/en/golden-globe-race/responsibillities/

Here and there, on other sites, people are beginning to suspect that the GoGoR attracted more than its share of wannabes. Others that the sea would sort the wheat from the chaff....

It's a long way from Haslar's 'One Man, One Boat, The Sea'..... which is a reflection of Moitessier's outlook.