Galley re-design - single or double sinks

superboots

Visit site
I am planning to overlay the worn worktop on my galley with a purpose made composite material consisting of 10mm "wet panel" + 10 mm closed cell insulation. This is to beef up the insulation on top of the fridge box where there is noticeable cold loss on the surround of the existing lid frame (aluminium) I've already tried to isolate the frame with a flexible pvc seal but it has not been effective. At the same time I could replace the existing double sink - which has cracked. I can't see the benefit of a double sink unit so am thinking to just go for a single inset sink . The work top is wide enough to use a domestic sized sink rather than a purpose made marine sink. Any thoughts about this idea?

William_H

Visit site
If OP does not see point in dual sinks then clearly he does not need them. I would have dual sinks myself or at least at home. Also smaller sink might be a bit awkward with larger pots etc but is far more economical on hot water. A rinse sink removes soap. ol'will

ashtead

Visit site
Personal choice -we have a second small sink alongside the main sink -useful to put drying glasses in etc but one large sink might be just as good. Nowadays most new boats seem to have 2 smallish sinks so I guess appeals to some buyers - have a look at a few new boats websites or walk through etc. appreciate it might not suit the OP though.

Neeves

Visit site
Go to you nearest caravan, motor home retail outlet (or website) and have a look at the sinks they have on sale. That market has the same issues - but its a bigger market and can have cheaper prices.

Jonathan

Refueler

Visit site
Go to you nearest caravan, motor home retail outlet (or website) and have a look at the sinks they have on sale. That market has the same issues - but its a bigger market and can have cheaper prices.

Jonathan

Totally agree ... literally anything galley related is worth a trip to a good caravan / RV dealership with shop.

My 25 has a single sink - marine moderate size .. and its not enough. But I cannot add another, not enough area.
My 38 has the dual sink setup - each one slightly smaller than my single 25's - but much better setup. One has FW supply - other has SW supply. Washing first with SW - then finish of with a lot less FW ...

Would I change ? Probably not ... the dual sinks allow safe stowage of items while sailing .. if larger - then items would be less secure. If I did have single - then I would still retain SW + FW ...

lustyd

Visit site
I quite liked the sink Uma installed. It was a standard single kitchen sink but had a drying rack that could slide back and forth and be used to store things in while at sea. They installed it front to back so it didn't take too much space and then added a small cutting board too.

can be seen in this video

Alicatt

Visit site
Totally agree ... literally anything galley related is worth a trip to a good caravan / RV dealership with shop.

My 25 has a single sink - marine moderate size .. and its not enough. But I cannot add another, not enough area.
My 38 has the dual sink setup - each one slightly smaller than my single 25's - but much better setup. One has FW supply - other has SW supply. Washing first with SW - then finish of with a lot less FW ...

Would I change ? Probably not ... the dual sinks allow safe stowage of items while sailing .. if larger - then items would be less secure. If I did have single - then I would still retain SW + FW ...
This ↑
That is what we did last week, went to a Motorhome/Caravan shop just north of Eindhoven De Wit Schijndel - Al 75 jaar dé kampeerwinkel!
It is one thing reading the spec on a website and another getting your grubby paws on the articles, we need to replace the hob in our boat and the hob is built into the sink
Galley1.jpg
The combined sink and hob is 1.05m x 0.42m trying to find something of the same size is proving difficult and now we are looking at putting in a worktop and separate hob and sink, the other option is to cut out the hob and replace it with another hob.
3burnerhob1.jpg
This is how we are thinking in new work top and a new sink to go with the above hob.

On that trip we also got a new mattrass and cloth to recover the upholstery.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Personal choice as there are pros and cons for each. My personal choice would be what is referred in domestic sinks as 1 1/2, that is larger and smaller although the relative sizes seem to vary these days.
Exactly what Island Packet built in our SP Cruiser. The small sink is large enough to wash up in, the larger sink we use for draining when under way or if it is a bit lively on the hook or on a mooring. The bit of countertop to the left has two drain mats and is used if calm.

geem

Visit site
Personal choice as there are pros and cons for each. My personal choice would be what is referred in domestic sinks as 1 1/2, that is larger and smaller although the relative sizes seem to vary these days.
This is what we have. Very convenient when washing up to be able to rinse stuff in the small sink.
We also made a conscious decision to get the deepest sinks we could. Ours are domestic sinks rather than marine special

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
... I can't see the benefit of a double sink unit so am thinking to just go for a single inset sink . The work top is wide enough to use a domestic sized sink rather than a purpose made marine sink. Any thoughts about this idea?

My galley is the usual U shaped galley, sinks on aft side. I did something similar but replaced the whole counter top with new onto the existing frames. Removed two smaller sink units and replaced with one larger, deeper sink unit. Fitted an under counter locker in the extra space where the second sink was. Also installed fiddles all-round and a removable mid counter fiddle. For me the advantage of having more counter top was better than the extra sink. The sink is a standard kitchen sink size and a plastic basin fits into it. I have not missed the second sink at all, at sea or in harbour.

I should note that the second sink, outboard, was awkward to use as it required one to twist in the galley, cooker corner to use it, so was a pain to use anyway, which figured in my decision.

superboots

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies - I think Runaground summed it up well. I'll go for a domestic sink with an insert basin for other tasks. My Bavaria has a particularly poor sink model - Both sinks have a sloping side which mitigates against temporary storage (for kettle etc) whilst on the move. The smaller of the 2 sinks is useless for rinsing, stacking etc. I have a secure plate rack for that. The new worktop will sit on top of the original and still be below the height of the fiddle with enough clearance for the cupboard doors to open

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have a twin sink stainless stainless steel sink in my gally that includes a drainboard on the port side of the sink with a dish drainer attached to the draining board like this with high sides

image_4931_44b1.jpg
dish rack.jpg

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
I quite liked the sink Uma installed. It was a standard single kitchen sink but had a drying rack that could slide back and forth and be used to store things in while at sea. They installed it front to back so it didn't take too much space and then added a small cutting board too.

can be seen in this video
I agree…two sinks for when you need them but when you don’t the second sink can be covered over to make it a work surface

Refueler

Visit site
I agree…two sinks for when you need them but when you don’t the second sink can be covered over to make it a work surface

I have measured up to create drop in wood plate to make one sink into a worktop when not in use. Its the one area that for a 38ft boat I think is lacking ... worktop space. The hob needs a cover as well ...

HxxMADEl.jpg

DKBXoMZl.jpg