Galley re-design - single or double sinks

Refueler

Visit site
I found these rather useful, they come in different sizes, are extendable, dishes can be left there to dry without risk of them flying all over the place. I have one and it's almost permanently left over one of the two sinks.

View attachment 172467

Looks like I need trip to shops !! Unfortunately we don't have caravan shops over here ..

Sea Change

Visit site
Your correct. We need what suits our cruising lifestyle. We have varying requirements. For example, we have no need for a salt water tap. A large watermaker provides water almost on the bases of home living. We had a salt water tap on thr last boat where water was far more precious to us
There's never one right answer.
We would absolutely not be without a salt water tap.
But then again, we don't have a water maker. We've thought about it, but it's just not something for which we can justify either the purchase or running costs.

geem

Visit site
There's never one right answer.
We would absolutely not be without a salt water tap.
But then again, we don't have a water maker. We've thought about it, but it's just not something for which we can justify either the purchase or running costs.
I built my watermaker myself 10 years ago. Its made 165,000 litres to date. 200w of solar makes enough power to run the watermaker to provide us our 60 litres per day that we use as a couple. It had a cost to build but over the 10 years we have had it, it has been a game changer for us. If I ever sold it, I would almost get my money back.

Last edited:

Sea Change

Visit site
I built my watermaker myself 10 years ago. Its made 165,000 litres to date. 200w of solar makes enough power to run the watermaker to provide us our 60 litres per day that we use as a couple. It had a cost to build but over the 10 years we have had it, it has been a game changer for us. If I ever sold it, I would almost get my money back.
I've really thought about it.

If we are careful with power we can run a surplus, so it would make sense to turn that in to fresh water.

But in practice SWMBO uses that power to bake cakes and do other energy intensive things in the galley.

A lot of people will run their engine or generator to make water. That's something I don't see myself ever doing. If I'm burning diesel, it's because I want to move the boat. Same reason I only fitted a tiny DC-DC charger.

I've priced up the membranes, filters, cleaning chemicals, and pickling solution, and operating a watermaker could get very expensive. So even if I was given one for free I'm not sure I would actually use it.

We currently take on dock water at about $10 a fill, and that lasts between 3-6wks depending on how much rain we collect.

I've recently plumbed the rainwater collection system in to the main tanks- it goes through two 1 micron filters in series- and the other day we gained half a tank from a single dreich day. Wish I'd done it sooner.

I suppose the big advantage of a watermaker is that you wouldn't have to plan your next fill up, and you wouldn't risk losing a good spot in the anchorage when you went and got water. So it's convenience, but it carries a cost.

geem

Visit site
I've really thought about it.

If we are careful with power we can run a surplus, so it would make sense to turn that in to fresh water.

But in practice SWMBO uses that power to bake cakes and do other energy intensive things in the galley.

A lot of people will run their engine or generator to make water. That's something I don't see myself ever doing. If I'm burning diesel, it's because I want to move the boat. Same reason I only fitted a tiny DC-DC charger.

I've priced up the membranes, filters, cleaning chemicals, and pickling solution, and operating a watermaker could get very expensive. So even if I was given one for free I'm not sure I would actually use it.

We currently take on dock water at about $10 a fill, and that lasts between 3-6wks depending on how much rain we collect.

I've recently plumbed the rainwater collection system in to the main tanks- it goes through two 1 micron filters in series- and the other day we gained half a tank from a single dreich day. Wish I'd done it sooner.

I suppose the big advantage of a watermaker is that you wouldn't have to plan your next fill up, and you wouldn't risk losing a good spot in the anchorage when you went and got water. So it's convenience, but it carries a cost.
Most boats in the .Caribbean have a watermaker. Getting water is not always easy, unlike the UK. There is no water available on. Barbuda and many of the places where you can get it, you need to lug cans. Water from some islands is of dubious quality. Friends have had upset stomachs from water they have taken onboard. We don't run that risk. Being able to make your own water is a real luxury we would not be without.

Sea Change

Visit site
Most boats in the .Caribbean have a watermaker. Getting water is not always easy, unlike the UK. There is no water available on. Barbuda and many of the places where you can get it, you need to lug cans. Water from some islands is of dubious quality. Friends have had upset stomachs from water they have taken onboard. We don't run that risk. Being able to make your own water is a real luxury we would not be without.
Where would you say would be hardest? I'm expecting it to be a little trickier in the Bahamas.
So far we've had no problems with taking on water between Grenada and BVI. We've done a run with cans once, in Union Island.

We dose our tanks with chlorine every fill, and all drinking water goes through a 5 micron carbon filter.

geem

Visit site
Where would you say would be hardest? I'm expecting it to be a little trickier in the Bahamas.
So far we've had no problems with taking on water between Grenada and BVI. We've done a run with cans once, in Union Island.

We dose our tanks with chlorine every fill, and all drinking water goes through a 5 micron carbon filter.
Apart from Goerge Town in the Exumas, I don't know anywhere there you could pick up water. The local water comes from aquifers but on many islands it is contaminated with saltwater or worse. Development has seen septic tanks being installed in the limestone aquifer. You can guess how that works with a drinking water supply.
Even in .George Town, is is cans not an alongside fill.

Refueler

Visit site
Last edited:

superboots

Visit site
I attach photo of my existing sink. The positions of the sinks should be reversed with the smaller one nearer the bulkhead to the left - but it won't reverse so best to replace. The galley benefits from a drop down cover over the cooker but that's probably going to be lost when I change the cooker to a Force 10 so work top space will reduce making a sink cover necessary.

Attachments

• BM galley sink resized.jpg
    BM galley sink resized.jpg
    627.7 KB · Views: 9

Frank Holden

Visit site
I have two, can't imagine life without them. I do however have a 5 litre mop bucket in one which halves the amount of water used while the space around it gives good stowage for drying plates, a little cutlery basket, etc. The other sink, when not full of centolla , can be used for air drying frypans and pots. Also good temporary stowage for the pressure cooker or the kettle.DSC_1768.jpeg

Frank Holden

Visit site
Arrived back in Algarrobo a few days ago. Updated photo of updated sink which was modified about 9 years ago. New Italian taps, new bench top and the sinks have been inset with no lip. 'Mop bucket' is actually 11 litres, Cutlery holder salvaged from a dead dishwasher years ago.DSC_4555.jpg