Galley re-design - single or double sinks

Bouba

Visit site
I have measured up to create drop in wood plate to make one sink into a worktop when not in use. Its the one area that for a 38ft boat I think is lacking ... worktop space. The hob needs a cover as well ...

HxxMADEl.jpg

DKBXoMZl.jpg
I made a cover for the hob…the extra work surface is great

wonkywinch

Visit site
When I was still living at home, I brought a young lady back with me late at night. She said she was desperate to go to the loo. I told her to go in the kitchen sink as I didn't want her to go upstairs and wake my parents. She was in the kitchen for ages so I tapped on the door. "Are you OK?". "Yes", she replied "I'm just looking for some paper".

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
We wouldn't be without the second sink. How do you rinse stuff with only one sink?

Not just rinsing, how do folks stop pots sliding around on a drainer board? If only day sailing, I suppose most just wait until arrival to prepare meals. OTOH, we tend to stick to normal meals/diet and the oven (even the chip pan if sea state suitable) is used underway.

Zing

Visit site
Not just rinsing, how do folks stop pots sliding around on a drainer board? If only day sailing, I suppose most just wait until arrival to prepare meals. OTOH, we tend to stick to normal meals/diet and the oven (even the chip pan if sea state suitable) is used underway.
Chuck plates etc in the sink. Set the tap on a dribble, wash then rinse as they come out and place in a drying rack after rinsing a.k.a the cook top. Not hard, or if on a full boat use the dishwasher.

johnalison

Visit site
A double sink is a great benefit, if not actually essential. It is best if the two basins are of different sizes. As well as the obvious uses for rinsing and draining, it is most valuable then for limiting hot water use. When on shore power we use the larger sink but when at a mooring or anchor with limited hot water or the need to boil a kettle, then the smaller sink comes into its own as you can get plenty of depth with little water.

Wakatere

Visit site
I used to have 2 sinks, neither of them big enough to put a plate in. I now have one sink which I can wash up in, but that usually happens in the plastic washing-up bowl that can be stowed in the sink. For me this is a big improvement. If the boat (well, the galley) were twice the size I'd perhaps feel differently.

geem

Visit site
A double sink is a great benefit, if not actually essential. It is best if the two basins are of different sizes. As well as the obvious uses for rinsing and draining, it is most valuable then for limiting hot water use. When on shore power we use the larger sink but when at a mooring or anchor with limited hot water or the need to boil a kettle, then the smaller sink comes into its own as you can get plenty of depth with little water.
On passage, two sinks is essential. If the boat is leaning over, you can put pots in one sink and wash them in the other. It's very hard to do it any other way. You also easier two people as there is nowhere safe to put the washed pots. They have to be dried and stowed. Deep sinks also make a huge difference if you need to wash up when going to windward.

Refueler

Visit site
The answer is what 'floats your boat' .... each has their own idea.

On my 25 - I make do with the single sink ... no choice !

On the 38 - I have the double sink - would be better I think if one was smaller than other - but its a single pressed stainless affair - so the two are inseparable. What I really like - is the SW to one - FW to other ....

geem

Visit site
The answer is what 'floats your boat' .... each has their own idea.

On my 25 - I make do with the single sink ... no choice !

On the 38 - I have the double sink - would be better I think if one was smaller than other - but its a single pressed stainless affair - so the two are inseparable. What I really like - is the SW to one - FW to other ....
Your correct. We need what suits our cruising lifestyle. We have varying requirements. For example, we have no need for a salt water tap. A large watermaker provides water almost on the bases of home living. We had a salt water tap on thr last boat where water was far more precious to us

dansaskip

seabear.uk
Lots of mentions of saving on hot water with smaller sink. Glad that two others have mentioned the use of a plastic washing up bowl. That is what I do - uses less water and keeps it warmer - less heat loss through cold ss basin.