French phrases

tim

Visit site
I'm sailing to France for the first time this summer. Is there a good resource online or published for the kind of phrases French harbour masters or marina offices might expect? For example, asking for a berth for a few nights, bridge opening times etc.
Thanks.

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
I’ve always found that the staff on the French coast ports closest to us are more than capable of sorting out the issues for berthing. You’re more likely to hit issues in the restaurants.

Poignard

Visit site
What's French for "Can I have a berth for a night?"

Probably not pukka French but "Vous avez une catway pour moi s'il vous plait? " seems to work.

Be prepared for the HM asking for your boat's name and dimensions.

I don't have much difficulty framing the questions, it's being able to understand the answers that causes me difficulty. :eek:

Last edited:

James_Calvert

Visit site
Getting a berth is often just a matter of following the signs marked Visiteurs.

After that at the Capitainery you will want to say that you've just arrived and want to pay for one (or whatever) night(s). There'll be some kind of form to fill in. Know your length, breadth, draft in metric. (Eg longueur neuf metres soixante.)

Some places you might want to pay for tokens for showers, rarer now than it used to be. (Jetons pour les douches)

That's all. But you'll probably be met by a charming young man or woman who speaks English anyway. I do believe it's worth making an effort though.

Daedelus

Visit site
A friend who has quite good French asked for a berth but failed to understand the resultant machine gun French replies and eventually in desperation said "Avez vous un place pour le nuit? Oui ou non?

EU_Cruiser

eucruiserelle.blogspot.com

Humblebee

Visit site
Does Reed's almanac not have a brief dictionary of French words and possibly other languages too?

I speak fluid French - bier, vin rouge, café etc

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Does Reed's almanac not have a brief dictionary of French words and possibly other languages too?

I speak fluid French - bier, vin rouge, café etc

It certainly used to, German, Spanish and Italian as well if I remember well. However I think he should start of with the phrase in post#13:encouragement:

Giblets

Visit site
I always found that "Bonjour monsieur, cinque grand bière à la pression s'il vous plaît." worked very well for me over the years! :encouragement:

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
If officialdom is taking its time and you're wanting to catch the tide, a polite 'À l'eau, c'est l'heur' always goes down well.

Last edited:

XDC

Visit site
Been going for years and, as has been said, you’ll be unlucky to find a non-English speaking harbour office.

The problem with trying your best French is they will often reply in THEIR best French and you’re screwed.

If you REALLY want to give it a go try:

Bonjour/Bonsoir

C’est le bateau ....

(by now they’ve sussed you’re English)

Je voo dray (mumble un or une) ponton, catway, place (they KNOW what you want, they’re a marina) pour xxx nuits sil voo play.

Now it’s easy cos they start with “English” ... yes I know!

They will want to know how LONG you are, luckily it’s longeur.

Still simple is they might want your beam which is largeur

Never been asked for draft but it’s tirant doh.

Nights? You’ve told them but they were “tuning in”

If they get really technical they may even talk port and starboard = babor and trebor.

C’est tout!

Bonne chance.