First World problems

Refueler

Visit site
The consumer response to coffee marketing is what is weird.

Too true ...

I really do not understand the craze for Starbucks ... Costas ..... Baritta or whatever its called !!

Most of it is absolute garbage ... and stupid price ...

But I do have a liking for Black Ugandan Bean ... also when its blended with real Kenyan ....

My late Brother was Senior Loading Master for Ugandan Airways during Amin time ... the Ugandan Black was flown to Nairobi ... bags relabelled Kenyan and flown into Stanstead and other such as Frankfurt .... it was big business.
He of course had 'samples' at home ... and I had to agree with him - its the best coffee I ever tasted ... the aroma alone was something else. Sadly the Coffee plantations were later ruined - so what comes out of Uganda now is a poor relation ...

Geoff Wode

Visit site
The consumer response to coffee marketing is what is weird.
I disagree. Using the phrase “metrosexual fantasy” about people making coffee is weird. Commenting on the aesthetic rather than the content is weird. Ducking responsibility for the above by suggesting everyone else is weird, is weird.

Bit weird.

zoidberg

Visit site
My late Brother was Senior Loading Master for Ugandan Airways during Amin time ... the Ugandan Black was flown to Nairobi ... bags relabelled Kenyan and flown into Stanstead and other such as Frankfurt .... it was big business.
He of course had 'samples' at home ... and I had to agree with him - its the best coffee I ever tasted ... the aroma alone was something else. Sadly the Coffee plantations were later ruined - so what comes out of Uganda now is a poor relation ...
Huh! Not a 'First World Problem'....

More a Lost World issue.

vas

Visit site
another vote for La Pavonis (got three atm)

a Domus at home (semi auto with integrated grinder)
and two Europiccolas (pre millenium manual lever machines)
one on the boat, one spare at home in my office as it looks good on webcam in zoom meetings :p
Also got two or three Bialetti's, one is a nice Allessi 8cup designer thing, but bialetti's tech problem is that there's no crema which makes espresso a bit pointless tbh unless you're Italian I guess :)

Can and will only drink espresso, unless i'm visiting friends up in the North (Denmark, Sweden) who only drink this filter crap which needs a 1:1 mix with any mink (other than almond crap) to make it drinkable!
Further I drink coffee because I like it, not to keep me awake.

On a serious note, Bouba's Nespresso does a decent coffee as does the Lavazza Blue capsule machines (pods being much cheaper than Nespresso's ones, not sure if it's shorter than nespresso though)

vas

Visit site
It appears to have only one button 🤷🏼‍♂️
Bouba, wake up! that's the overpressure valve it pops if something silly ever happens to save you from an exploding bomb of a coffee maker!
It shouldn't be looking out your direction when on the heat, so wrong placement for a right handed operator in this photo...

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
Well, if we're getting into the realms of coffeeupmanship, we have no less than four coffee machines, from a small Krups nespresso pod one (good size for boat & MH) to a much older version of this which is faster than a double group commercial machine, left over from when we downsized the shop:

s30-prodottigenerici.png

Unfortunately it would probably have to sit on the sole because of height and weight & balance concerns and it would also need one of these to run it when off grid:
1705737690713.png
We also have a small pile of manual espresso makers. But, to be honest we use french presses most of the time. No burnt coffee as per the stovetop percolators, no complex cleaning or big servicing bills, About as eco friendly as it is possible to be, and consumables in a form that can be readily obtained pretty much anywhere, even by roasting acorns if times get that desperate...

Bouba

Visit site
This is my first world problem…and it’s nothing to do with coffee…we came to Porquerolles island for a three day break…but the weather changed…we’ve been here eight days…so far😳
Luckily there hasn’t been an outbreak of cannibalism (we avoid it by keeping the dog well fed)

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I disagree. Using the phrase “metrosexual fantasy” about people making coffee is weird. Commenting on the aesthetic rather than the content is weird. Ducking responsibility for the above by suggesting everyone else is weird, is weird.

Bit weird.

Your opinions are just that, opinions. However, metrosexual is a group of people targeted by advertisers because of their frivolous attitudes towards spending and in particular, networking abilities. If the metrosexuals like a concept or product, it can generate very healthy profits e.g. Nespresso sales and Starbucks were built on metrosexuals. The style in both YouTube videos demonstrates this rather well, in my opinion.

I own a DELonghi Magnifica at home and buy Coltman's signature blend, all my friends agree with me.

Alicatt

Visit site

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I've recently installed one of these and am currently playing with settings.
Coffee being a very personal thing, just a few things you might try:
1. With multiple cups moka, if you stir the coffee with a spoon before pouring it it will more homogeneous, otherwise the first cup will be light and the last very strong
2. Putting a few drips of water in the upper chamber *before* the brewing begins will maintain its temperature lower and the first coffee coming out of the spout will not be burnt (just have a look at what happens to the first drops of liquid coming out, if too hot they fizz as they touch the bottom of the upper chamber)
3. The rubber joint will last a lot longer if you cool the moka with water just after having poured the coffee
4. If the used coffee is too compact inside the funnel and you have to tap it to empty it, better tap the body mid corner of the funnel, tapping the upper brim risks to deform its shape and eventually it will not seal properly. If you have a garden or flower pots, you can spread used coffee over the soil, it's apparently good. Composting worms love it :)
5. When you need to clean the pot, rubbing it with sodium bicarbonate is quite effective
6. This gadget can be useful, my elder daughter is expert at leaving the moka on the lit stove and then go take a shower, that little cap has often been a lifesaver :D

5. caffe.jpg

Geoff Wode

Visit site
Your opinions are just that, opinions. However, metrosexual is a group of people targeted by advertisers because of their frivolous attitudes towards spending and in particular, networking abilities. If the metrosexuals like a concept or product, it can generate very healthy profits e.g. Nespresso sales and Starbucks were built on metrosexuals. The style in both YouTube videos demonstrates this rather well, in my opinion.

I own a DELonghi Magnifica at home and buy Coltman's signature blend, all my friends agree

Thank you for your opinion…

boomerangben

Visit site
1. With multiple cups moka, if you stir the coffee with a spoon before pouring it it will more homogeneous, otherwise the first cup will be light and the last very strong
2. Putting a few drips of water in the upper chamber *before* the brewing begins will maintain its temperature lower and the first coffee coming out of the spout will not be burnt (just have a look at what happens to the first drops of liquid coming out, if too hot they fizz as they touch the bottom of the upper chamber)
3. The rubber joint will last a lot longer if you cool the moka with water just after having poured the coffee
4. If the used coffee is too compact inside the funnel and you have to tap it to empty it, better tap the body mid corner of the funnel, tapping the upper brim risks to deform its shape and eventually it will not seal properly. If you have a garden or flower pots, you can spread used coffee over the soil, it's apparently good. Composting worms love it :)
5. When you need to clean the pot, rubbing it with sodium bicarbonate is quite effective
6. This gadget can be useful, my elder daughter is expert at leaving the moka on the lit stove and then go take a shower, that little cap has often been a lifesaver :D

5. View attachment 170972
What’s that little gadget called? I assume it is for making sure the crème doesn’t disappear when the last of the water boils through?

I know it is possible to get crème with those machines but I can’t seem to manage it. Perhaps it’s the coffee, because I’ve washed the pot with washing up liquid, perhaps I’m heating it too quickly or not stopping it in time. Anyway, it’s an on going project but that gadget might be just what I need!

I have used one on the boat which allows great coffee without any volts (I don’t have any volts on board)

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
What’s that little gadget called?
Tough question, in Italian it's a "paraspruzzi", it is sold in supermarkets for about a quid, usually found in rotating displays together with birthday candles, kitchen suction cup hooks and the like. It actually prevents coffee being sprayed all over the place if , when one forgets the pot over the stove. I never managed to get the foamy cream with a moka, imho it needs high pressure, imho.
Google "moka pot spray" provides some sellers
moka pot spray for sale | eBay
PARASPRUZZI PER CAFFETTIERA MOKA CAFFE IN ALLUMINIO PARASCHIZZI | eBay

Last edited:

Sandy

duckduckgo.com

5. View attachment 170972
Thank you, most helpful.