First Step: Buy the boat, find somewhere to keep it or learn how to drive it?

cyberkryten

Visit site
After having a nice time on a couple of day charters of a crewed catamaran in the Med last year and then hiring out a Boston Whaler in Bermuda a few times last month (a lot of fun, but facilities somewhat lacking!), I’ve been looking at motor boats (definitely not sails).

Having spent 10 years with a PPL and owning a hangared Bulldog (recently sold), I figured that I’d be fairly well prepared for the costs of boating, but the apparent mooring costs have been something of a surprise. I guess at least there seems to be no equivalent of the CAA to deal with when you want to replace something!

I’m not sure how much we’ll stay on it, my wife has never been into camping and whilst we’ve talked about spending a couple of months cruising around the Med one summer, I’m not really sure that’s going to work out, at least not without having experience so have been thinking of getting something closer to home.

I’d thought we’d be able to find something to rent out for a weekend or two in the summer to get an idea of what we want (at least if I got courses done) but having looked it seems that market just doesn’t exist unless we want a dingy or a full crewed mega-yacht. If anyone knows of something, then please can you let me have contact details.

So that means looking at buying something, which is where the question on the order of stuff comes in.

We are on the clifftop in Southbourne, so I just assumed I’d get something based in Christchurch harbour, ideally around the Tuckton bridge (10min walk) so we can get to it easily whenever we felt like it, just walk up to the boat and head off. We’ve seen the boats there so figured no problem but from lurking here it seems as though the harbour may be quite a challenge to get in/out for a newbie and lack of depth may restrict when we can actually go out and further restrict what boat we can actually buy - this isn’t intended to be a “What boat” thread, but it does seem there’s very much an upper (lower?) limit because of depth/access/moorings.

Is anyone local that can give me a rough idea of what the restrictions are likely to be on boat size and movements and how a snap decision of “It’s a lovely day, shall we take the boat out” would work out through the summer?

That is, of course, assuming there are actually any moorings available (I’m guessing we’re looking at something 30-40ft for it to be acceptable from the living/entertaining space and facilities side of things).

Going to Poole or somewhere on the Solent would involve a drive through tourist traffic, with rammed car parks which somewhat defeats the object of moving to the coast!

So, I’m really trying to figure out what should I be looking at for a first step?

a) securing a mooring (which may sit idle if I don’t find a boat)
b) just ‘buy a boat’ (which may have to stay elsewhere if I can’t find a mooring)
c) get some basic training (without which, I might not be able to get my moored boat out to sea safely)

Andy Bav

Visit site
Just a thought, but would trailering a reasonably large boat be an option. That takes mooring out of the equation, but brings into play another set of skills - or even a dry stack ?. Its likely a question of compromise, you may have to travel further afield to get what you want, but if your planning on staying aboard, that doesn’t mean you have to travel at peak times if within, say 20 - 30 miles.

What about you and your wife doing a day skipper course together, quite an outlay as boat hire will be included, but it would :-

a. Give you a qualification (which insurance may require anyway),
b. Confidence, and
c. Your wife an insights into what life afloat is like..

Better to lose a couple of thousand if she doesn’t like it, rather than shell out for a white elephant.

We started in boats back in 2011 with an 18 foot bow rider in Torquay that the dealer launched and retrieved for us at £50 a time and we never dreamt that 11 years, 6 boats and many compromises later we would have a motor cruiser in the Med…

Last edited:

Hurricane

Visit site
Taking Andy's point.
Why not the Med?
Andy and my berthing costs are a fraction of the costs of the south coast places that you mention.

A bit like you, I assume, my wife and I have a house overlooking the sea. Ours overlooks Lyme Bay. When we moved there, I always thought that I would have a roundabout boat in a local marina but, we keep our main boat in mainland Spain and I have never the urge for something in the UK as well. The boat works as a holiday home and as a boat. Our marina is also referred to as a "marina resort" with swimming pool and club etc. And, generally speaking, the weather is much nicer than the UK.

Just a thought.

Portofino

Visit site
Steep learning curve means you might soon end up in the Med .
Future proof your qualifications in the EU by skipping U.K. ( a third party state ) home grown RYA tickets .
Go for an EU state equivalent, eg French Permit d Mer .There are others btw .
This is fully comprehensive about 1 week course , practical and theory while your wife n kids enjoy a CdA holiday shacked up in a hotel etc .
Eligibility for up to 24 M Load line length so you are good for up to approx 90 feet .

Uk requires zero qualifications to drop a cheque in Poole / Plymouth and blast off from the factories .But common sense normally means most folks volunteer for a bit of tuition , with or without a piece of paper at the end .

You can’t even run a jet ski in France without a qualification , pretty much the same throughout the Med and rightly so imho .

edit - A VHF license is required too .Legal requirement in both U.K. and EU .

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
Just a thought, but would trailering a reasonably large boat be an option. That takes mooring out of the equation, but brings into play another set of skills - or even a dry stack ?. Its likely a question of compromise, you may have to travel further afield to get what you want, but if your planning on staying aboard, that doesn’t mean you have to travel at peak times if within, say 20 - 30 miles.

What about you and your wife doing a day skipper course together, quite an outlay as boat hire will be included, but it would :-

a. Give you a qualification (which insurance may require anyway),
b. Confidence, and
c. Your wife an insights into what life afloat is like..

Better to lose a couple of thousand if she doesn’t like it, rather than shell out for a white elephant.

We started in boats back in 2011 with an 18 foot bow rider in Torquay that the dealer launched and retrieved for us at £50 a time and we never dreamt that 11 years, 6 boats and many compromises later we would have a motor cruiser in the Med…
Isn’t this the “ tourist hassle “ and car park ( launch ramp fiascos) the OP s just said he wants to avoid ?
+ car hassle a big SUV type ?
+ storing the dam thing ?

Wheres the spontaneity with that ?

Tranona

Visit site
Christchurch is not really a suitable place to keep a boat of that size if you intend to use it as it is too shallow and restrictive for entry and exit. Your choices are Poole (probably Cobbs Quay) or the Solent - Lymington eastwards. Marina berth almost essential to get maximum use out of the boat, so looking at fixed costs for a 35' boat of between £8-10k. As for getting experience, unfortunately you won't be able to charter such a boat without experience so the best thing is to do a course with one of the many RYA accredited schools in the area where you can get an introduction to powerboat handling .

If you are set on a boat after getting basic training then plenty of instructors will do own boat tuition, and worth doing the Day Skipper course to get the basics of navigation to add to the boat handling. People get into boats in all sorts of different ways and there is no "right way", but starting with the basic handling is good and discussing with experienced instructors about what you are looking for is well worth it.

Living is Southbourne puts you at a huge advantage for making good use of your boat compared with most people who live up country. Your 30-40 minute drive to Cobbs Quay (with ample free parking!) or Lymington; an hour to the Hamble etc is a doddle compared with fighting the M3/A3/M27/A36/ A350 etc that most Solent and Poole based boat owners have to do every weekend!

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
Christchurch is not really a suitable place to keep a boat of that size if you intend to use it as it is too shallow and restrictive for entry and exit. Your choices are Poole (probably Cobbs Quay) or the Solent - Lymington eastwards. Marina berth almost essential to get maximum use out of the boat, so looking at fixed costs for a 35' boat of between £8-10k. As for getting experience, unfortunately you won't be able to charter such a boat without experience so the best thing is to do a course with one of the many RYA accredited schools in the area where you can get an introduction to powerboat handling .

If you are set on a boat after getting basic training then plenty of instructors will do own boat tuition, and worth doing the Day Skipper course to get the basics of navigation to add to the boat handling. People get into boats in all sorts of different ways and there is no "right way", but starting with the basic handling is good and discussing with experienced instructors about what you are looking for is well worth it.

Living is Southbourne puts you at a huge advantage for making good use of your boat compared with most people who live up country. Your 30-40 minute drive to Cobbs Quay (with ample free parking!) or Lymington; an hour to the Hamble etc is a doddle compared with fighting the M3/A3/M27/A36/ A350 etc that most Solent and Poole based boat owners have to do every weekend!

Completely agree FWIW (Tranona has about 100 times my knowledge and experience I think). I live in Bournemouth - in your position I would see if you can get a berth at Cobbs and then find a boat that get under the two bridges at most states of tide - say 2 metres - if that's possible. That way you wouldn't even be constrained by bridge times. Going east you could try Lymington Yacht Haven but I would think the price would be quite a bit higher. One other thing to think about with the berth is the time taken to get to the "start" of your boating. To some people this is all part of the journey so no issue but others like to get the sails up or the throttles open ASAP. If you are like that then Cobbs is a fair trek from the Harbour entrance whilst LYH has just about the right length of time for the crew to get everything sorted for mooring up (whilst the helm plays dodge the ferries). Cobbs is longer but I've never found it a drag.

ashtead

Visit site
If you have a concern of spending time on board in an English marina why not try an airb&b -I have seen folks who clearly don’t generally boat at a beds on board type boat at Brixham marina and at Lymington yacht haven . It might help to see if camping on board suits whole family and what space etc you need . If you idea of trips is a short motor Lymington gives many options for places with reasonable dining out plus other venues. A lot depends on how you see your boating -are you seeking anchorage’s to find and paddle board/fish etc or is it the destination which appeals ie facilities.

cyberkryten

Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

I've learnt from my aircraft ownership experience that there is huge value in being able to 'turn up and go'. I've had it in a self service hangar where I had to move other planes out of the way, get it out and return it after myself and also spent time in a larger fully serviced hangar where I'd call up and by the time I arrived it was on the apron ready to go which meant I did way more flying. I also used to dive, and have spent time launching RIBs, moving the trailer, parking it up etc. So, I'm aware of what it involves and for those reasons (plus lack of space), it means trailering a boat is definitely out, as is any swinging mooring where we'd have to get a tender out to a boat.

The same goes for the Med really. We'd looked at holiday places abroad but always decided we wouldn't use them enough. With family here in the UK, we're not going to be spending months abroad, so the only real option is a boat here, with the thought that maybe in a year or two, we may spend a summer in the med, but that would be a one-off trip and not a lifestyle change. I'm hoping to be working less over the next year or so and will have more time for us to do things together - having enjoyed our times on a boat (albeit in slightly warmer seas!) we thought it is definitely an option.

On the training, it looks like the Christchurch one suggested is done on a RIB which I don't really think makes sense for us. I'm sure a lot of the skills are transferable, but I would guess that there are enough engine and handling differences that we should be looking (if possible) to train on a more comparable boat?

Whilst a 30min drive isn't a big issue, in the summer that can easily double and it just seems such a shame to be so close to the sea and have to drive through all the traffic to Poole or the Hamble! Do the marinas have their own car-parks? That was one concern, having to fight for bays in the public areas mid-summer, further delaying getting to the boat.

I take the point about Christchurch as a harbour, but when we walk across the Tuckton bridge, it just seems so convenient! What's the size limit for getting close to 'anytime' access (if it is <30ft then maybe we'd reconsider options), or is it just not suitable for that regardless of what boat is being used? I assume the larger boats I see moored there (definitely seen larger ones at Christchurch Harbour Hotel) have had to carefully plan the journeys - I'd just assumed having seen some 40ft-ish stuff about it was feasible.

creeks

Visit site
On the training, it looks like the Christchurch one suggested is done on a RIB which I don't really think makes sense for us. I'm sure a lot of the skills are transferable, but I would guess that there are enough engine and handling differences that we should be looking (if possible) to train on a more comparable boat?

I honestly think that for starters it would be well worthwhile doing the training on the rib in Christchurch because of what you will learn about the harbour and in particular the limitations on access to the sea depending on boat size, draft, tide and wind strength and direction.
You could always follow up the rib course with a course on a larger boat in the Solent or Poole but I think a course on the rib in Christchurch would be invaluable in helping you decide what to do.

Tranona

Visit site
Whilst a 30min drive isn't a big issue, in the summer that can easily double and it just seems such a shame to be so close to the sea and have to drive through all the traffic to Poole or the Hamble! Do the marinas have their own car-parks? That was one concern, having to fight for bays in the public areas mid-summer, further delaying getting to the boat.

I take the point about Christchurch as a harbour, but when we walk across the Tuckton bridge, it just seems so convenient! What's the size limit for getting close to 'anytime' access (if it is <30ft then maybe we'd reconsider options), or is it just not suitable for that regardless of what boat is being used? I assume the larger boats I see moored there (definitely seen larger ones at Christchurch Harbour Hotel) have had to carefully plan the journeys - I'd just assumed having seen some 40ft-ish stuff about it was feasible.
You just have to accept the reality that there are limited places to park a boat and be able to just walk on and use it. The problem with Christchurch is that it is shallow, the entrance is tricky with strong cross tides, and although less of a problem with a smallish (sub 30') sports cruiser than with a sailing boat. also once you get out there is nowhere close to go apart from the Solent one way or Poole the other. I don't know what the position is with moorings or whether you can get a deep water (float at all states of the tide) walk on berth. I think you will find the bigger boats are essentially waterborne country cottages which only venture out on well planned cruises rather than going out on a whim for a day.

Seriously suggest you do the 30 minute drive mid week to Cobbs Quay where there is plenty of free parking and see what is on offer both in facilities and the type of boats people use. They have a big "Dry Stack" operation where boats such as sports cruisers are stored in racks and launched on request. This is the nearest to the full service aircraft facilities you describe and if you choose a boat that is low enough to get under the bridges you can be out of the harbour in less than an hour from arriving. Plenty to do inside the harbour, although speed limited and open sea easily accessible. This could well be a good way to start to see if you like it, but you will soon realise once you go up in size you need a pontoon berth , and wherever you go there are limits to the instant accessibility, either the land journey, the bridges at Cobbs, or long passages before you are in the open sea as in many Solent marinas.

Whatever you buy, well worth hiring an instructor for a day or two to show you the ropes on your own boat.

PlanB

Visit site
There's also the "turn up and go" concept. I was always taught that I should check oil and water levels and filters before setting off.
I'm getting the feeling that the OP isn't over keen on the advice he is being given and so wants to ignore it.

IanCC

Visit site
After having a nice time on a couple of day charters of a crewed catamaran in the Med last year and then hiring out a Boston Whaler in Bermuda a few times last month (a lot of fun, but facilities somewhat lacking!), I’ve been looking at motor boats (definitely not sails).

Having spent 10 years with a PPL and owning a hangared Bulldog (recently sold), I figured that I’d be fairly well prepared for the costs of boating, but the apparent mooring costs have been something of a surprise. I guess at least there seems to be no equivalent of the CAA to deal with when you want to replace something!

I’m not sure how much we’ll stay on it, my wife has never been into camping and whilst we’ve talked about spending a couple of months cruising around the Med one summer, I’m not really sure that’s going to work out, at least not without having experience so have been thinking of getting something closer to home.

I’d thought we’d be able to find something to rent out for a weekend or two in the summer to get an idea of what we want (at least if I got courses done) but having looked it seems that market just doesn’t exist unless we want a dingy or a full crewed mega-yacht. If anyone knows of something, then please can you let me have contact details.

So that means looking at buying something, which is where the question on the order of stuff comes in.

We are on the clifftop in Southbourne, so I just assumed I’d get something based in Christchurch harbour, ideally around the Tuckton bridge (10min walk) so we can get to it easily whenever we felt like it, just walk up to the boat and head off. We’ve seen the boats there so figured no problem but from lurking here it seems as though the harbour may be quite a challenge to get in/out for a newbie and lack of depth may restrict when we can actually go out and further restrict what boat we can actually buy - this isn’t intended to be a “What boat” thread, but it does seem there’s very much an upper (lower?) limit because of depth/access/moorings.

Is anyone local that can give me a rough idea of what the restrictions are likely to be on boat size and movements and how a snap decision of “It’s a lovely day, shall we take the boat out” would work out through the summer?

That is, of course, assuming there are actually any moorings available (I’m guessing we’re looking at something 30-40ft for it to be acceptable from the living/entertaining space and facilities side of things).

Going to Poole or somewhere on the Solent would involve a drive through tourist traffic, with rammed car parks which somewhat defeats the object of moving to the coast!

So, I’m really trying to figure out what should I be looking at for a first step?

a) securing a mooring (which may sit idle if I don’t find a boat)
b) just ‘buy a boat’ (which may have to stay elsewhere if I can’t find a mooring)
c) get some basic training (without which, I might not be able to get my moored boat out to sea safely)
d) get used to the torrent of cash flowing out of the pocket. ?

Last edited:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
There's also the "turn up and go" concept. I was always taught that I should check oil and water levels and filters before setting off.
I'm getting the feeling that the OP isn't over keen on the advice he is being given and so wants to ignore it.
Yup the turn up and go concept does not work for boats unless you have very deep pockets. Which perhaps the OP does