First Step: Buy the boat, find somewhere to keep it or learn how to drive it?

cyberkryten

Visit site
I honestly think that for starters it would be well worthwhile doing the training on the rib in Christchurch because of what you will learn about the harbour and in particular the limitations on access to the sea depending on boat size, draft, tide and wind strength and direction.
You could always follow up the rib course with a course on a larger boat in the Solent or Poole but I think a course on the rib in Christchurch would be invaluable in helping you decide what to do.

Thanks, I understand the idea in that and it would mean we get to understand how Christchurch work, as long as most of what we learn would be useful in a non-RIB.

You just have to accept the reality that there are limited places to park a boat and be able to just walk on and use it. The problem with Christchurch is that it is shallow, the entrance is tricky with strong cross tides, and although less of a problem with a smallish (sub 30') sports cruiser than with a sailing boat. also once you get out there is nowhere close to go apart from the Solent one way or Poole the other. I don't know what the position is with moorings or whether you can get a deep water (float at all states of the tide) walk on berth. I think you will find the bigger boats are essentially waterborne country cottages which only venture out on well planned cruises rather than going out on a whim for a day.

Seriously suggest you do the 30 minute drive mid week to Cobbs Quay where there is plenty of free parking and see what is on offer both in facilities and the type of boats people use. They have a big "Dry Stack" operation where boats such as sports cruisers are stored in racks and launched on request. This is the nearest to the full service aircraft facilities you describe and if you choose a boat that is low enough to get under the bridges you can be out of the harbour in less than an hour from arriving. Plenty to do inside the harbour, although speed limited and open sea easily accessible. This could well be a good way to start to see if you like it, but you will soon realise once you go up in size you need a pontoon berth , and wherever you go there are limits to the instant accessibility, either the land journey, the bridges at Cobbs, or long passages before you are in the open sea as in many Solent marinas.

Whatever you buy, well worth hiring an instructor for a day or two to show you the ropes on your own boat.

Yep, I'd got the impression from reading on here that it may not be the ideal place which I why I'd asked and it sounds like I was right. I'd not really thought about the driving time versus boating time to get anywhere. I guess also that adds to costs - 10 miles in my Tesla is a lot cheaper than 10m on twin diesels!

As you can probably tell, this is still a really early thought but it looks like we've got a couple of places to go for a day out when we get some spare time over the next few weeks!

There's also the "turn up and go" concept. I was always taught that I should check oil and water levels and filters before setting off.
I'm getting the feeling that the OP isn't over keen on the advice he is being given and so wants to ignore it.

I've only replied once to ask more questions and I'm definitely interested in what people who know more about the area and boating suggest, that's the reason I asked as it is quite hard to figure out myself. Whilst convenient, I'd already realised Christchurch may not be an ideal harbour but had struggled to find definitive info on usage, so was interested in what I can use it for as we see a lot of boats there.

I'd assumed there would be checks before starting up and I'm fully used to checking things over before heading out. A good walk around to check for any visual issues and testing levels - with a small aircraft you not only check fuel levels but test it as well to ensure there's no water in it and the oil level check has saved me from an engine failure one time when after a 50 hour check the maintenance company hadn't tie sealed the dipstick tower into place and the whole thing came off in my hand which would have emptied the sump and ceased the engine.

I meant in terms of not having to spend an hour moving/launching/getting to the boat - I don't have the space to store a boat which means no trailer and I'm looking for a walk up pontoon.

d) get used to the torrent of cash flowing out of the pocket. ?

Well, that has abated slightly now I no longer have the Bulldog, but yes I get that it'll start up again in earnest if I commit to something!

Yup the turn up and go concept does not work for boats unless you have very deep pockets. Which perhaps the OP does

I suspect they aren't deep enough! It was really trying to minimise time spent getting ready, over and above the required safety side of things. We don't want anything fully crewed and all done for us, so maybe I age the wrong impression with turn up and go.

BruceK

Visit site
This is probably left field for most but when I started boating I quickly found that travelling an hour long route in holiday traffic sucked. So I moved to the boat. 6 minutes away at least. That lasted 8 years and then we moved onto the boat. But I hate driving. In the last 4 years I have done more boat miles than car miles.

creeks

Visit site
Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
I suspect they aren't deep enough! It was really trying to minimise time spent getting ready, over and above the required safety side of things. We don't want anything fully crewed and all done for us, so maybe I age the wrong impression with turn up and go.

I live in Broadstone - and have done for over 40 years. All that time I have had a boat (sailing, but for accessibility the principles are much the same) and had a variety of moorings, first Cobbs Quay, then various swinging moorings in the harbour and for the last 20 years a marina berth in Poole Yacht Club. I often go out just for the afternoon or evening - OK my road journey is only 15 minutes, but typically I leave the berth in under 45 minutes from leaving home as the boat is always prepared ready to go. If you had a berth in Salterns (our berths are members only with a long waiting list) you could achieve much the same from Southbourne, although charges are high there. Cobbs Quay is nearly as good except for the bridges which need a bit of planning, and can be avoided if you get a smaller boat that can get under the bridges. You could achieve similar at Lymington but at much higher berthing costs.

benjenbav

Visit site
I live in Broadstone - and have done for over 40 years. All that time I have had a boat (sailing, but for accessibility the principles are much the same) and had a variety of moorings, first Cobbs Quay, then various swinging moorings in the harbour and for the last 20 years a marina berth in Poole Yacht Club. I often go out just for the afternoon or evening - OK my road journey is only 15 minutes, but typically I leave the berth in under 45 minutes from leaving home as the boat is always prepared ready to go. If you had a berth in Salterns (our berths are members only with a long waiting list) you could achieve much the same from Southbourne, although charges are high there. Cobbs Quay is nearly as good except for the bridges which need a bit of planning, and can be avoided if you get a smaller boat that can get under the bridges. You could achieve similar at Lymington but at much higher berthing costs.
Imho anything a couple that is used to comfort might want to overnight on is going to be the opposite of spontaneous to use in Christchurch.

Whereas Poole Harbour (below the bridges) and Lymington both offer full tide access.

in the OP’s position I’d be inclined to go for something large and comfortable enough to facilitate a road journey to Lymington (I’m biased) when it’s quieter, maybe sleep on the boat and enjoy the many wonderful opportunities of the Solent.

First I’d get some tuition on 30-40 ft mobos. Mendez would do this. Probably others, too.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
This is probably left field for most but when I started boating I quickly found that travelling an hour long route in holiday traffic sucked. So I moved to the boat. 6 minutes away at least. That lasted 8 years and then we moved onto the boat. But I hate driving. In the last 4 years I have done more boat miles than car miles.

So do you now live on your boat ?

Nigel52

Visit site
OP is looking 30/40 ft
These guys have a larger motor boat to train in. I have sailed for 50 plus years and recently moved to a 9m high sided single engine motor boat and got Powerboat training also based in Poole to give me 1/2 days mooring training on my own boat. Very useful.

cyberkryten

Visit site
We had a lovely afternoon wander to Tuckton, across the bridge and down the Stour past the Captain's club and found exactly what's been suggested, that the boats are all smaller and many look like they've been there for a very long time without moving.

We're going to head to Swanick on Friday for a look around the boats there and will try to get to a couple of the other marinas suggested for a wander over the next week or two.

thanks!

henryf

www.911virgin.com
First of all hello and welcome !

You’ve got 3 threads going on in one here so let me try and break things down a bit:

The boat.

You don’t like camping, I would say that rules out smaller boats. If you could press a magic button my suggestion would be a Princess P42 flybridge with a generator fitted. That’s living not camping, a bit like having a small apartment.

If you want to know what it would be like we have a Princess 50 flybridge which we charter out of Gosport. Charter that for a few days and stay in the forward VIP cabin with us (crew) in the master cabin. You would have exactly the same experience as a P42, ensuite bathroom etc.

We have a separate dining area which the P42 doesn’t but to be fair you’ve also got 2 crew on the boat with you which you wouldn’t have on your own boat.

In an ideal world I would suggest 3 days / 2 nights with 1 night in a marina and one night at anchor. That way you’ve experienced the full gambit of ownership potential.

The berth

Marina berths are exactly what you are hoping for in terms of turn up and play. You’re boat has its own designated spot accessed via a walk shore pontoon so no messing about at either end. Choose a marina with full tidal access and no limitations.

The berth will have shore power so batteries are kept fully topped up. Water will be available to fill tanks and wash down. Free car parking should be provided as well. You will use a little trolley to move any stuff between car and boat.

The location

I would suggest UK given you don’t have long chunks of time available to spend abroad. You can do weekend boating overseas but to me it’s hassle and takes a lot of organisation in terms of flights, getting work done on the boat, etc. Maybe save that for V1.2

Choose location based on cruising ground for the boat. 40 minutes in the car is nothing if it means you’ve always got somewhere to go in the boat regardless of weather conditions.

In terms of rib training I’m not sure it be be of much use. You won’t be keeping the boat in a small estuary, you will keep it in a marina and the skills and experience are very different rib to decent sized motor boat. There is a danger you alienate your wife who doesn’t see rib boating as her thing. Start off where you mean to end.

I hope that is of some use. Everyone tends to favour and promote their own type of boating on here so it can be difficult to gauge an unbiased view. The other massive division is money. To some people £50k is a fortune, to others £1m is small change.

In boating you get what you pay for. The trick is finding a boat that does what you want it to. You then want something that’s relatively reliable and won’t need months in the yard being worked on.

If you buy a well established popular brand and model you are only loaning the boat it’s purchase price. You will get a fair chunk of the money back when you sell it. Don’t expect to make a profit, assume a modest loss and hopefully be pleasantly surprised. The newer the boat the broader the re-sale market generally speaking.

There are similarities to light aircraft.

Henry :)

cyberkryten

Visit site
First of all hello and welcome !

You’ve got 3 threads going on in one here so let me try and break things down a bit:

Thanks Henry, that's a lot of useful info. We went so Swanick so have a few more ideas ourselves from that.

We are moored at Bucklers so if you want to have a look or get some real world feedback ask away.

Well, from what I learnt at the weekend, the main question is do they have any room for something about 40ft?! We're planning to have a wander down a few of the marinas over the next few weeks to get a bit more idea about that side of things.

Sianna

Visit site
Thanks Henry, that's a lot of useful info. We went so Swanick so have a few more ideas ourselves from that.

Well, from what I learnt at the weekend, the main question is do they have any room for something about 40ft?! We're planning to have a wander down a few of the marinas over the next few weeks to get a bit more idea about that side of things.

I think that's the problem with most marina's at the moment especially with walk ashore's. There seem to be a number of river moorings on the Beaulieu River still unused though.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
I think that's the problem with most marina's at the moment especially with walk ashore's. There seem to be a number of river moorings on the Beaulieu River still unused though.
I don’t think the OP will want a river mooring. Keen to keep things as simple, quick and easy as possible.

you shouldn’t struggle to find somewhere for a 40 foot boat in the Solent. Haslar where we are based on Gosport could accommodate you at reasonable cost but it’s getting further away in terms of geography from your home.

Alan Hensler

Visit site
I live in SOBO and currently keep our boat in Cobbs Quay previously in Lymington.
Suggest you look at Lymington and go to Berthon and Lymington Yacht Haven take a look at the brokerage boats you might find a boat that maybe has a mooring that could be transferred if you are lucky.

cyberkryten

Visit site

I'd hope to avoid a non walk-on mooring, but good to keep in mind if I can't find anything more suitable for a while.

I don’t think the OP will want a river mooring. Keen to keep things as simple, quick and easy as possible.

you shouldn’t struggle to find somewhere for a 40 foot boat in the Solent. Haslar where we are based on Gosport could accommodate you at reasonable cost but it’s getting further away in terms of geography from your home.

Thanks, good point is that I'll be able to find "something", even if not ideal. Gosport is probably about 1h 15m, but even that might be quicker to launch than a 40min drive and getting to a river mooring.

I live in SOBO and currently keep our boat in Cobbs Quay previously in Lymington.
Suggest you look at Lymington and go to Berthon and Lymington Yacht Haven take a look at the brokerage boats you might find a boat that maybe has a mooring that could be transferred if you are lucky.

Looks like tomorrow is due to be a nice day, so I might go and have a look around marinas in Lymington and see what I can find. Will be a good tester for traffic too.