Most likely water leakage points VP AQ170 + 250 drive

Refueler

Visit site
As a guide always used to lift my outdrives both on tidal and drying moorings.
Three previous boats had the things, a Princess 33 with a pair of 280T (the 270 with added problems) a Princess 25 with a single 280 plus a Americian Regal 23 almost held together with contact adhesive and possibly primarily constructed with flooring grade chipboard with pair of early Mercruiser legs, looked at carefully could be seen visibly dissolving in the water in front of your very eyes.
In our location cannot recall any problems with cylinder shaft seals being damaged by barnies, an infinite list of other things going wrong but not barnies.
We do have a few outdrive boats on our moorings some owners do leave them down, those fortunate enough to have working hydraulics at the time do raise them.
Refuelers leg might possibly have an little electric motor to mechanically raise/lower the leg as per the 270 ? , more frequently found in an Electrolux Vacuum cleaner. :)

Blimey - Don't hold back matey !!

Its a full on 270 leg - has electric raise / lower. When I bought the boat - the system would stop at 1/2way when raising ... needing a helping hand to then complete. But since using the boat - she has sorted out and lowers / raises in one movement each way.

oldgit

Visit site
Blimey - Don't hold back matey !!

Its a full on 270 leg - has electric raise / lower. When I bought the boat - the system would stop at 1/2way when raising ... needing a helping hand to then complete. But since using the boat - she has sorted out and lowers / raises in one movement each way.
The motor could be the Electrolux jobbie according to some prehistoric forum postings. ie. 2010.
Loads of replacements on interweb at not silly prices.
Numpty Outdrive Question

Refueler

Visit site
Today guy ground back edges and will be painting ... so it looks like she will be launched latest Tuesday ..... then it will be watching the bilges !!

I am on edge of seat waiting to get her back on water ... I am not a motor boat person - but this boat has not only me - but also wife hooked !

It was bought on a whim really ... so many times I had thought a mobo for the river ... then this came up .... small money ... lots of fun !

Refueler

Visit site
We;ve been trying to think how the outer hull sections could have been stressed to crack along that joint BOTH sides .. and last night I had a light switch on !!

The Trim Tabs are hung on that outer section either side and with the increased engine from 130 to 170hp .... greater thrust / speed etc - maybe they have stressed the area if used without care ??
It appears to be about the only answer - considering the same area both sides cracked.

scottie

Visit site
We;ve been trying to think how the outer hull sections could have been stressed to crack along that joint BOTH sides .. and last night I had a light switch on !!

The Trim Tabs are hung on that outer section either side and with the increased engine from 130 to 170hp .... greater thrust / speed etc - maybe they have stressed the area if used without care ??
It appears to be about the only answer - considering the same area both sides cracked.
I have suggested similar with regards to additional torque and weight at transom
How long ago was engine upgrade?

Refueler

Visit site
I have suggested similar with regards to additional torque and weight at transom
How long ago was engine upgrade?

By previous owner 2yrs before I bought -

We initially thought it was engine related - but the engine 'box' is substantial and outer hull is add-on boxes.

But what we hadn't considered was the trim tabs and their action to bring boat pitch down and level ... it must be considerable ...

If that was the case ... now should be strong enough to resist .. and we will be checking regularly anyway ..

Refueler

Visit site
Had anther run out for quick trip on river .. it was quiet with no-one else out there - so decided to explore the throttle - trim use.

Trimmed out at 10kts .... all nice and turns were nicely balanced in a banked sweep. Then headed for a straight run to see how far I could push her ... 15kts and touch of trim change (i'm finding that stbd trim - which had the largest crack in hull needs more down than port - about 5 degrees more ..

As speed increases now 18kts - I find that its better if I slightly raise both trims - maintaining a nice level of fwd rail above horizon. (Contrary to my first runs where I was adding down as speed increased - on those runs as I got to 18kts - she felt as if she was ready to swerve of ... )

At 5400rpm she was hitting just over 20kts and steady - but she felt as if she wanted to veer of at times ... think I need to look at steering mechanism - it seems to be a bit dull at centre allowing boat to wander slightly.
Wheel centre says ATTWOOD ... not sure if thats the steering brand - will be investigating.

I was under impression that the steering was hydraulic but it appears its cable to rod .. this may be why its a little vague on centre. Its also heavy to turn.