Finger pontoons& stern too?

Alskade

Visit site
We, recently, put ours in stern first (to have her name fitted) and I was going to 'park' like that each time......we've changed our minds for the simple reason of privacy and wind. We haven't found too many positives - other than we don't have to walk all the way down the wobbly pontoon.

Also, with storm Hannah that just passed over I can't help thinking that the boat would have been more steady bow in - don't know why, I just get that feeling. Our springs have worked well up until that point and a wonderful neighbour had to tweak them before we arrived.

viago

Visit site
i'm on a 3/4 finger too and i park nose in. most of the fast fishers reverse in to protect their twin 100hp engines. there are three reasons in go in forwards, the most important is that it's easier and safer to do so.

my boat will swing to the side in reverse and the rudder isn't much help. it would be near impossible to do in anything other than slack water. reversing out is easy, just let the river flow take the back round which ever way it likes and run with it.

the other reason is privacy as i like to sit there in the evenings and dont want to have to nod to every one walking up the pontoon.
another thing is security. it looks a lot more uninviting to an opportunist being pointy end on with the cocktail area out beyond the finger pontoon. i would hate for a drying tea towel to be lifted.

stevie69p

Visit site
I have occasionally reversed my Twister into a marina berth but rarely the one I had intended to enter :eek:

chuckle...

This has been my experience with present long keeled boat too. Have practiced it a few times and never with any great level of success, more just by luck it seems.

seaangler23

Visit site
Bow to as wel be heading to the pub if entering a harbour, my davits would obscure the pontoon and when reversing out my boat decides randomly which way it will turn and I just have to make it look like I meant it