Fairline 36 Turbo - am I mad?

thejonesey

Visit site
To Spi D Enjoy! I have just found the stereo manual so pm me your address and I will send it on to you. To Paul do you service boats in Windsor? I can always put you up on the way to the coast!
To all - expect the weather to break now!

thejonesey

Visit site
B7C1E8E6-410D-45FE-B7EB-81C81D5C5787.jpeg
index.php

Just a few including some broker shots. For those who are really bored you can watch the walkthrough on

Attachments

• C823D94A-7E33-4C45-A993-57544506CE9D.jpeg
    C823D94A-7E33-4C45-A993-57544506CE9D.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 467

Mr Googler

Visit site
Oooooo…….upgraded engines ??

edit…..21 knots at 1000 rpm! What have you got in there! ??? (or maybe that’s depth ?)

Dino

Visit site
Congrats, lovely boat. It looks like she’s already had plenty of upgrades with all the modern Raymarine kit and the new VP throttles.
be sure to post the upgrades, I’m in a similar vintage Broom Ocean 38.

thejonesey

Visit site
Congrats, lovely boat. It looks like she’s already had plenty of upgrades with all the modern Raymarine kit and the new VP throttles.
be sure to post the upgrades, I’m in a similar vintage Broom Ocean 38.
Yes she has had a lot of work. Electronics, soft furnishings, carpets, generator, canopies (ugly but brilliant) upgraded shaft seals, passarelle, etc etc.... We have added a mini rib for the davits and will be doing boring but important work like new sea cocks, updated battery set up, new engine room fire extinguisher system, some GRP repairs (the odd 'ding') and heat exchangers. Once this is done she will be ready for some serious cruising.

thejonesey

Visit site
Looks fantastic Rob, congratulations. Will we see her on the Hamble?
We have moved to Gosport for now. While Foulkes is great value I was getting fed up with having to cut days short because of the bridge and we are time poor with two teenagers and work that requires me to be on duty every other weekend. Maybe in the future...

oldgit

Visit site
A classic boat first appearing in 1981 and good example of form following function.
Well built and have have stood the tests of time well both in looks and durability.
A revolution in interior volume , a few met the terrible fate of becoming livaboards.
Still a fairly quick and comfortable sea boat, loads around and good selection on the market.
The days of daft prices for the T36 are long gone and can know be purchased at a sensible price if you can find good un.
Shame about the appalling lack of access to some pretty vital bits and pieces and the total lack of vision behind, but a few holes can sort the former and who looks behind.
Some whinges about the smaller engine options but at the sorts of speeds usually now used with these boats, not lot of difference between the
250 or 300 HP options.
Owners tend to keep them, we have couple on our moorings that have been with the same owner for 20 years.

At one time we had around 8 or nine Turbo 36 on our moorings add the 3 or 4 Sedan 36 s and probably Fairlines most successful hull ?

thejonesey

Visit site
A classic boat first appearing in 1981 and good example of form following function.
Well built and have have stood the tests of time well both in looks and durability.
A revolution in interior volume , a few met the terrible fate of becoming livaboards.
Still a fairly quick and comfortable sea boat, loads around and good selection on the market.
The days of daft prices for the T36 are long gone and can know be purchased at a sensible price if you can find good un.
Shame about the appalling lack of access to some pretty vital bits and pieces and the total lack of vision behind, but a few holes can sort the former and who looks behind.
Some whinges about the smaller engine options but at the sorts of speeds usually now used with these boats, not lot of difference between the
250 or 300 HP options.
Owners tend to keep them, we have couple on our moorings that have been with the same owner for 20 years.

At one time we had around 8 or nine Turbo 36 on our moorings add the 3 or 4 Sedan 36 s and probably Fairlines most successful hull ?

She is a brilliant boat and I already love her more than many of her predecessors! The passarelle sorts most of the boarding issues and I am in the process of moving the strainer from the back to the front of the engine room.
She is a lot of boat for the money with the alternatives being twice the price or more. I have built in regular capital costs and think that I still be up after 10years!

Many thanks for the kind comments. This is something we have also experienced in marinas where people seem to have a big soft spot for the T36… even those of a sailing persuasion!

superheat6k

Visit site
Nice one Rob - Corvette next then - or has Justin's experience put you off ?

Lots of tips on my old website turbo36.wordpress.com

Changing the cutless bearings and shaft seals was, without any doubt, the worst boat job I have ever had to tackle, including full clean out of the sewage treatment plants on a Type 42 Destroyer ! there is a write up about how to tackle this if ever you need to.

Pay close attention to the gear and main oil cooler anodes and change them every 6 months without fail.

Greg2

Visit site
Changing the cutless bearings and shaft seals was, without any doubt, the worst boat job I have ever had to tackle, including full clean out of the sewage treatment plants on a Type 42 Destroyer ! there is a write up about how to tackle this if ever you need to.

Well I was very appreciative of whoever cleaned the sewage treatment plants when I was on the Geordie Gunboat ?

Other threads that may be of interest