Fairline 36 Turbo - am I mad?

captain tomas

Visit site
Im nearer seventy than sixty and medium build,
I am usually single handed both at sea and on the river.
Buy yourself a couple of fender steps and presto no more leaps
of faith required.

Reactions: Obi

Richie

Visit site
Having looked at ways to improve my boat I am coming to the conclusion that I might change it!! I would be selling a 2003 Ocqueteau 900 and planning to replace it with a 1990-1992 Fairline 36 turbo.

Yeah nice choice - I saw one in Cobbs Quay the other week that was mint and thought it looked fantastic. Had me thinking back that I'd always dreamed about having one of these when I was growing up. Never going to happen though as the missus thinks they're ugly, but then she thinks the SC35 is ugly too so what does she know!
Always thought a bit strange how that type of boat went so out fashion given they were so popular in the day - weren't they nick-named the Solent Sierra with it being such a good seller?

Last edited:

asteven221

Visit site
I agree with everyone - a great boat and defo near top of my list if I was in the market for a £70k - £90k boat. One of the forumites refurbished theirs, (based at Bangor) which looked fantastic and like a brand new boat. I recall a refurb article in MBM some time ago which might be worth geting hold of as it showed the potential for these great boats.

Aft cabin boats seem to be like hens teeth unless it's a trawler style boat. Princess 435 and Turbo 36 seem to be the only ones around I can think of for that kind of money.

We had TAMD61a engines and would definately recommend checking out the exhaust elbow bends as they rot away and fill the boat up with water if they break off i.e. a 306hp water pump!! I think they are about £700 each, so worth checking out. I suspect they might also have Twin Disc gears fitted. One broke on one of our engines. They weigh 18 stone and it was a pig to get out (Fairline 40) and it cost me £3k for a recon unit as it wasn't fixable. Anyway if the gears are difficult to get to on a Turbo 36, I would pay particular attention to them at survey / sea trial time. We never had any problems with the 61a's other than that pesky gearbox failure. Easy to service too.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
The one that mbm featured was called "why knot" based at the time in port Solent, Nigel sold it last year from the hamble and bought a sealine f43. He always says it was the best boat he's ever had, it was also the subject of a re engine feature as it was fitted with twin yanmar 350s making it very smoke free, it's now being wasted on the Thames.

thejonesey

Visit site
Decisions...Decisions

We are about to close on the sale of our current boat and then I have to decide what to do! VolvoPaul will tell you that we have looked at everything... literally! I keep coming back to the Turbo 36 but we do have a couple of issues. Firstly we have a dog and I am unsure how to get her on and off the boat. Next up is the "openness" of the flybridge -with two children under 7 I wonder how likely they are to climb on the seat and go over the top!

Our current thinking is to look at a Sealine 410 but, I am told, that there might be build quality issues regarding an early 90s version. Basically we are completely confused and a little frustrated! Any advice always welcome though!!

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Rob id say an old sealine is going to be on going maintainance not that boats are perfect and would you get on with the old style inside when you bump into an f43 and see the difference, personally I loved the Humber 40 we went out on, a more solid boat than the sealine, what engines does the sealine have is it the one with the 63ps I was talking about?

Firefly625

Visit site
Rob id say an old sealine is going to be on going maintainance not that boats are perfect and would you get on with the old style inside when you bump into an f43 and see the difference, personally I loved the Humber 40 we went out on, a more solid boat than the sealine, what engines does the sealine have is it the one with the 63ps I was talking about?

love the look of this..

humberashore500left.jpg

thejonesey

Visit site
More thoughts

Paul,
The only one in the price range is the one in Ipswich that I mentioned.

Firefly, Yes the Humber is a lovely boat and I nearly bought that one but the survey raised a few issues that I was not happy about. She is a good boat and I am sure that whoever buys her will be very happy, but not the one for me.

Firefly625

Visit site
Paul,
The only one in the price range is the one in Ipswich that I mentioned.

Firefly, Yes the Humber is a lovely boat and I nearly bought that one but the survey raised a few issues that I was not happy about. She is a good boat and I am sure that whoever buys her will be very happy, but not the one for me.

old boats will always have some problems.... are they worse than a old sealine might possibly throw up...?

Got to say like the look of that Humber... looked cared for and owners open for offers..

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Firstly we have a dog and I am unsure how to get her on and off the boat
We had a dog on our T36 but he was quite agile and could jump on and off the side decks even though he was a big dog. Equally problematic is how you get the dog onto the bathing platform when you want to go out in the tender. Thats an issue you have to think about because when youre rafted up against other boats, the only way to get the dog ashore is in the tender. If the dog wont jump then you have to lift her and if you can't do that, then its a big problem because I guess that the dog is part of the family. The Sealine 410 is much better in this respect because of it's stepped bathing platform

Next up is the "openness" of the flybridge -with two children under 7 I wonder how likely they are to climb on the seat and go over the top!
I dont think that the T36 is any better or worse than any other flybridge boat in this respect. You have to watch kids on any boat, especially a flybridge boat because of the large open deck space. If I remember correctly the 410 flybridge has deeper coamings so it might be slightly safer but then there is the sunpad at the back which has virtually no guardrails. Its a tricky one. All I can say is that our son was on a flybridge boat from 6 weeks onwards and he's 17 now!

Our current thinking is to look at a Sealine 410 but, I am told, that there might be build quality issues regarding an early 90s version. Basically we are completely confused and a little frustrated! Any advice always welcome though!
I also had a 410 (mine was badged a F43 actually). I thought it was an excellent boat, great design with its integrated aft cockpit/aft cabin, good seaboat, huge inside (bigger than the T36 which is already big for its length) and very comfortable. Yup, the finish was never as good as the T36 but at this age its all about condition so if you find a well cared for 410 at the right price, then IMHO you should give it serious consideration. As ever, a thorough hull and engine survey is essential

A couple of other issues with the T36 to think about. The exhausts are noisy at speed (no water trap silencers) so, if you make an offer on one, make sure you get a good long seatrial and that you can put up with the exhaust drone. Second the engine access is not great particularly to the aft end of the engines and gearboxes. Its worthwile checking that you are agile enough to get down there

captain tomas

Visit site
I have young grand children and they are as safe on the Turbo as any other
flybridge boat.
Children adapt to their surroundings very well and hopefully they will wear a good lifejacket (and safety line?) whilst on deck.

As to the dog, you know the limitations of your own animal.

Good luck in your search but I know what my choice would be.

Bandit

Visit site
Consider the Fairline Sedan 36 same hull as the Turbo, a larger fore cabin and a reasonable twin side cabin and a cockpit.

My Dog a Rhodesian Ridgeback can get on and off it ok and jump down onto the swim platform , to get up from the swim platform the dog puts its paws on the combing and i lift the back end.

I saw a good conversion of an aft cockpit boat to a walk through swimplatform boat where they cut a doorway in the transom.

If I still had the Sedan 36 I would cut a door in the transom and strength wise it is bult like a brick ouhouse and would not worry me.

The Sedan has a ladder to the flybridge so dog would have to stay below.

thejonesey

Visit site
Finally done it!

After lots of thought, discussion and some great advice from this forum we have finally changed boats! Dizzy Too has gone off to another forumlite, who I hope, will enjoy her as much as we did.

We finally decided on a Sealine F43/410 -I say that because our new girl is a 410 but has the F43 spec, being one of the last 410s produced. She has been wonderfully maintained and comes complete with loads of extras including red leather! (More pictures to follow!) She is happily berthed at Windsor Marina giving us the opportunity to explore the Thames and then, hopefully, head for the coast (and beyond) in the summer.

Once again, many thanks to everyone who has offered advice and help, particularly Paul (Volvopaul.) I am off to play over half term so will try to post a short report with a few shots then.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

We finally decided on a Sealine F43/410 -I say that because our new girl is a 410 but has the F43 spec, being one of the last 410s produced.

Congratulations! My 410 was also badged a F43 by the factory. I think the only difference was that my boat had the shorter 410 bathing platform but it was a F43 inside. The 390/410/F43 was one of Sealine's longest lived models which was a reflection of how popular the boat was. I'm sure you will be very happy with her and I think your dog will be happy too!

Sulley

Visit site
@the jonesey

So you are our new neighbours then! We spoke to your wife yesterday but noticed you have moved back to the inside mooring instead of the hammer head. Are we that bad :eek:

Beautiful boat you have!

thejonesey

Visit site
@the jonesey

So you are our new neighbours then! We spoke to your wife yesterday but noticed you have moved back to the inside mooring instead of the hammer head. Are we that bad :eek:

Beautiful boat you have!

Neil wants to keep the hammerhead and it suits us to be by the bank with the dog! Hope to meet you soon - as the Welsh crew would say... I am currently filling the fun box and will be looking to share!

Spi D

Visit site
thejoneseys: And your old, to me new, boat is due for transportation in a few days!

Will arrive at my harbour four days later, to be put on the hard until next season :)

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Well done Rob she looks great, let me know where she is, when I get Thames bound I will look you up for a viewing, happy times ahead im sure!