Fairline 36 Turbo - am I mad?

thejonesey

Visit site
Having looked at ways to improve my boat I am coming to the conclusion that I might change it!! I would be selling a 2003 Ocqueteau 900 and planning to replace it with a 1990-1992 Fairline 36 turbo. Am I mad? I am going to find out about fuel consumption etc but I was wondering what the forum thought about my (possible) decision to exchange new for old. Most boats online have had significant refurbishment including re-engines etc but am I likely to be buying trouble and if so what?

What is better.. a basic newer boat with 250 hours or an older classic with 1500+ hours?

Firefly625

Visit site
Having looked at ways to improve my boat I am coming to the conclusion that I might change it!! I would be selling a 2003 Ocqueteau 900 and planning to replace it with a 1990-1992 Fairline 36 turbo. Am I mad? I am going to find out about fuel consumption etc but I was wondering what the forum thought about my (possible) decision to exchange new for old. Most boats online have had significant refurbishment including re-engines etc but am I likely to be buying trouble and if so what?

What is better.. a basic newer boat with 250 hours or an older classic with 1500+ hours?

old classic imho. There was Fairline Turbo 36 in Yarmouth last year, looked like new, lovely boat and very smart. It did not look outdated whatsoever. As you say many have been refitted and so long as engines are good I think a well build boat like this is a very sound buy. They are also very good sea boats and 8 berths... mmm

but they will drink a bit more than you are used to...

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site

I know of a nice one (late) at Penton Hook Marine Sales and yes my brother does work there but I would hardly recommend a duff one!

Imperial One

www.imperial-yachtbrokers.com
If you go this route my advice is to be sure to buy one with the 2x306 hp as the smaller engined ones are OK for river and occasional use at sea but if you are at sea all or most of the time then the 306 option is by far the better boat. It is also much easier to resell when the time comes. Volvopaul is the man to ask but check that the old exhaust elbows have been renewed as these were prone to problems - but in reality, I suspect by now these will have been done anyway.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Ask Deleted User, he used to own one. As did a friend of mine who regretted selling it. Many really nice ones still about.

thejonesey

Visit site
old classic imho.
but they will drink a bit more than you are used to...

I am a bit worried about that! Are the 306s really going to make that much difference? I have also read that they can "have issues."

The one at Penton Hook looks lovely Richard -definately put it on the list!

Sounds like the current thinking is great boat ... damn I was hoping you would talk me out of it!!

admillington

Visit site
Great amount of accommodation for a 36 boat. There was one moored near us in Chichester – he had owned the boat for over 20 years from new and was upset to sell her. The only issue I heard about was the engine room was very tight and made maintenance hard. You need Volvopaul to check over the engines in detail.

Firefly625

Visit site
Great amount of accommodation for a 36 boat. There was one moored near us in Chichester – he had owned the boat for over 20 years from new and was upset to sell her. The only issue I heard about was the engine room was very tight and made maintenance hard. You need Volvopaul to check over the engines in detail.

and Volvopaul loves a nice tight engine bay....! :rolleyes:

just re-read... ..this is not meant to sound smutty!!!

rosssavage

Visit site
Tiny bow cabin, average size saloon, huuuuuuge full width standing room aft cabin. I would have bought one, but wanted to live aboard so bought a princess 385 instead. No aft cabin, but muuuch bigger saloon and fwd cabin.

Lovely looking timeless design - a well polished one can look showroom fresh.

I've lived with TAMD 61A's for five years (the 306hp engines as fitted to the Fairline) and love them.

Check, however, that the engine mounts have been uprated - the original (1980's vintage) were too spindly, and three of mine broke in a bouncy sea. Messy. And ££££££ to fix them and the bent shaft...and gearbox couplings.....and exhaust.....and rudder......and rudder bearing.....and prop. :) Old ones use the same diameter post from the bottom of the flex mount all the way through, new ones have a double thickness post up to the adjustment nut.

Also very thirsty above 2000 rpm - are you thinking inland or Coastal use? On the river the consumption is negligible, but you will notice the ££ out on open water.

Boats of this era are also over laminated and heavy, which, IMO is a good thing. You have to try really hard to break them. :)

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
and Volvopaul loves a nice tight engine bay....! :rolleyes:

just re-read... ..this is not meant to sound smutty!!!

A tight one is always nice! firefly is just that.

Seriously the T36 was one of my all time favourites I nearly bought one some years back, mate sold his recently a real special with yanmar 350s in.

There is also a good one at Portsolent with the 61a 306 in.

Id say from a service point of view there no worse than most aft cabin boats to work on, the front end is great, therebeing little to worry about at the rear end just gearbox oil level.

If its got old style sternglands the stb side is under the shower tray and VERY difficult to repack, a in most aft cabs things like rudders stocks need a good look at by a surveyor.

The 61s ae generally good I have them in my boat well the uprated 62s at 340hp but theres little difference in speed over the 61s, just more torque.

You will see 1 mpg and thats it, the worst part to gt at are the intercoolers and heat exhagers on the stb engine so make sure there in order.

Whitelighter

Visit site
Was your mates boat 'why knot'?
Saw it on eBay and it looked nicely updated. I like them, but the late ones are still asking 100k ish which is a bit steep.

Why knot looked like it was going to go for 80k ish which seemed good considering the work and engines - next year I might have been a buyer. Ho hum....

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Ask Deleted User, he used to own one. As did a friend of mine who regretted selling it. Many really nice ones still about.

Yes I did and coincidentally the missus was only saying last night that it was her favourite of all the boats we've owned. They are getting on a bit now and they are considered classics but get a good one and it should give you many more years of service. There were 2 things we really liked about the Turbo, the Tardis like interior especially the massive aft cabin and the excellent seakeeping. We took ours in some dreadful weather (we didn't know any better at the time) and she always performed superbly.
Fairline produced 2 series of Turbos, 1983-87 and 1988-93. The earlier series had an upright stainless steel radar arch, canvas dodgers around the cockpit and many had broad blue or red stripes on the hull which fade easily and sort of dates them now. They had mainly Volvo 60C 255hp engines and this is the one to go for in this series rather than Volvo 40 165hp or the BMW 180hp engines. The latter will struggle to hit 20kts now whereas the 60C engined Turbos should be good for 25kts, The later series were all white AFAIK, had grp dodgers and a grp radar arch and looked a bit more modern. I think all of these had Volvo 61A 306hp engines which should be good for 27kts or so and the very last Turbos had Volvo 62 340hp engines which should give a couple of knots more. Speeds may be a couple of knots down on Turbos with tired engines
I dont think the Turbos had any major weaknesses. The biggest issue I had on mine was access to the rear of the engines which was really tight and getting to the sternglands. One thing you will have to get used to is exhaust noise which can get a bit wearing on long trips. There was no space with the aft cabin for water trap type silencers, only straight thru rubber baffled silencers and the exhausts exit above the waterline. I bought some cowlings for mine which diverted the exhaust downwards and they made some difference. I agree with what others say about fuel consumption. You should see about 1mpg at about 20kts.
I wouldn't be put off by re-engined boats. All Turbos will have to be re-engined eventually. Indeed a few Turbos have had extensive refits which would be worth seeking out if they're not silly money. On the subject of money, Turbos have reached a price level now so you wont lose much money if you buy a good one and look after her

thejonesey

Visit site
Yes I did and coincidentally the missus was only saying last night that it was her favourite of all the boats we've owned. They are getting on a bit now and they are considered classics but get a good one and it should give you many more years of service. There were 2 things we really liked about the Turbo, the Tardis like interior especially the massive aft cabin and the excellent seakeeping. We took ours in some dreadful weather (we didn't know any better at the time) and she always performed superbly.
Fairline produced 2 series of Turbos, 1983-87 and 1988-93. The earlier series had an upright stainless steel radar arch, canvas dodgers around the cockpit and many had broad blue or red stripes on the hull which fade easily and sort of dates them now. They had mainly Volvo 60C 255hp engines and this is the one to go for in this series rather than Volvo 40 165hp or the BMW 180hp engines. The latter will struggle to hit 20kts now whereas the 60C engined Turbos should be good for 25kts, The later series were all white AFAIK, had grp dodgers and a grp radar arch and looked a bit more modern. I think all of these had Volvo 61A 306hp engines which should be good for 27kts or so and the very last Turbos had Volvo 62 340hp engines which should give a couple of knots more. Speeds may be a couple of knots down on Turbos with tired engines
I dont think the Turbos had any major weaknesses. The biggest issue I had on mine was access to the rear of the engines which was really tight and getting to the sternglands. One thing you will have to get used to is exhaust noise which can get a bit wearing on long trips. There was no space with the aft cabin for water trap type silencers, only straight thru rubber baffled silencers and the exhausts exit above the waterline. I bought some cowlings for mine which diverted the exhaust downwards and they made some difference. I agree with what others say about fuel consumption. You should see about 1mpg at about 20kts.
I wouldn't be put off by re-engined boats. All Turbos will have to be re-engined eventually. Indeed a few Turbos have had extensive refits which would be worth seeking out if they're not silly money. On the subject of money, Turbos have reached a price level now so you wont lose much money if you buy a good one and look after her

Many thanks for such a complete reply!! Lots to think about but definately pushing us in that direction now!!! My boat will be up for sale imminently unless my brother in law wants it (hopefully.) We have worked out the costs and it all looks "doable."
Thanks to everyone for their advice -Paul, I will be in touch if we find something suitable, hopefully I can call on your services to check engines etc. I will keep you all posted. In the meantime, hope to see many of you on the Solent this summer.

captain tomas

Visit site
An excellent choice of used boat.
Bought mine from first owner in 2004.
Have total hours of 2400 and both run very smoothly (306s)
Usually cruise at 18knts consumption 1.2/3 mpg.
Downside a bit tight in engine room and sternglads awkward.

Bandit

Visit site
Sedan 36 Same Hull as Turbo

I had a Sedan 36 which was the same hull as the Turbo but aft cockpit and fly bridge.

A seriously good sea boat and built like the proverbial brick out house.

Dont go for anything less than 306 hp for sea use and as late a boat as possible.

The very last were marked as Turbo 39 same boat but changed the number to include length of swimplatform last built about 1993.

I fitted a pair of 370 hp VP 63P's. But my boat was Sedan no 2 about 1985.

mad_boater

Visit site
just one other quick thing to think about you dont say how old you are ? you might think this is a stupid question but the turbo 36 has VERY high decks and can be a pain to jump on and off when mooring up unless you are very agile, you can get off the bathing platform but if you have a dingy and davits it can be a very tight squeeze down the ladder, we had a friend who bought one and had to sell it because has wife could not jump off the boat to do the ropes when mooring up, he then bought the sedan 36 thats a bit lower at the sten, when we were lookin for our latest boat we looked at a couple of 36 sedans and found that even they were to high for my wife to jump off to do the rope as are in our early sixtys , in the end we bought a sealine 360 statesman (about the same price as a turbo 36 )this has a door in the cockpit that leads to the bathing platform this makes mooring up a doddle , dont get me wrong i love the the turbo 36 i think it has timeless lines and fantastic accommodation but it would not have suited us because of the high side decks