eye operations

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Re: Friends of ours

had it done about 6 months ago. They got a big discount for both going. God knows why.

He is very pleased with the result though he says they vastly underestimated the pain involved. He likes not wearing glasses outdoors where they are a liability.

She is not so pleased. Vision is better but not as good as her glasses made it.
In addition she actually suited glasses, as do I think a lot of people who have worn them for years. So she's not to pleased with her knew look.

My only observation is not scientific but, not many opticians or eye surgeons appear to have had it done.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ColdFusion

Visit site
(Probably) like many others I've been following the advances in laser eye surgery for a number of years - hoping to (eventually) pluck up the courage to get my own eyes corrected. You might find the following links useful:

http://www.optometryonline.net/news/article.cfm?ID=347
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.lasik-eyes.co.uk>http://www.lasik-eyes.co.uk</A>

Let us know what you decide.

Keith

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Re: Hybrid hard/soft lense?

> astigmatism in both eyes and have worn both soft (gas permeable)

Have you discovered a manufacturer of a lens I have been trying to track down i.e. it a hard gas permeable lens with a soft outer rim?

<hr width=100% size=1>

BobE

Visit site
Dunno about the laser job but about three years ago I had new lenses fitted into both eyes when I found I had cataracts in them...the first was done on national stealth the second I paid for cause the reckoned I'd have to wait about a year.. and I was really impressed with the result..
Cost 1500 squids at Southampton and Bournemouth and 1200 at Salisbury so I went to Salisbury..
Only snag was that they refused to give me longer focus than normal..Have to of course wear glasses for reading or close work but when the bandage/patch comes off Boom colours you never imagined are seen..
Another snag my old skipper wont sail with me cause I now see so much that it frightens him !! ;-);-)

Sorry I can only recommend the cataract removal I have no experience of sculpturing..

Good luck Cheers Bob E...

<hr width=100% size=1>

AlexL

Visit site
I cannot comment on the medical risks, but I know that you cannot pass (ever) a commerical pilot medical if you have had the operation, wheras you can pass wearing glasses (up to a point). Other commerical medicals may well take the same view. I'm not sure if this comments on the risks involves or just that the long term effects are unknown. however either is not good.

<hr width=100% size=1>

domlee

Visit site
A few years ago a doctor friend was attending a conference for optometrists, there were about 200+ attendees, a straw poll was taken and NOT ONE of the optometrists had undergone a corrective surgery procedure. The technology has moved on since then but the only concern I would have would be the fact the procedure is not reversible so if you are one of the few peoplw the procedure has not worked for then you have to live with the consequences.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ubuysa

Visit site
<font size=1>a straw poll was taken and NOT ONE of the optometrists had undergone a corrective surgery procedure</font size=1>

Isn't this a bit like expecting turkeys to vote for Christmas? Of course none of the optometerists had had laser eye surgery - they get all their eye tests and glasses top quality and for free anyway. Why would they bother?

<font size=1>the only concern I would have would be the fact the procedure is not reversible so if you are one of the few peoplw the procedure has not worked for then you have to live with the consequences</font size=1>

This is a valid point. However, falling into the sea and drowning is not reversible, but that doesn't stop us going to sea. Life is full of risks, you just have to weigh up the risks and benefits to you personally.

Tony C.

<hr width=100% size=1>There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

domlee

Visit site
1. The main reason the optometrists did not opt for elective surgery was the risk assessment they made far outweighed benefits acrued - yet the same people will gladly accept your money and expect you to bear all the risk. The fine print in the contract you sign prior to such surgery makes illuminating reading! Any surgeon will tell you "Don't cut unless you have to"

2. We all risk our live every day but only a fool / hero takes a risk without evaluating the consequences. Does the purveyor of such services provide a description of risks that the punter can make an accurate subjective, judgment on accepting those risks - particularly the long term implications of those risks? Examine the alcohol / tobacco industry model for an illustration of this 'truth but not all the truth' scenario.

Personally, I would consider such surgery but I would wait until I was older - say over 50. As I understand it, the shape of the eyes change as we grow older therefore if it is done too early the benefits of such surgery may be lost.

<hr width=100% size=1>

B

bob_tyler

I had my first cataract removed one month ago. I agree with BobE that the result is absolutely amazing. I asked for long sight for sailing (fed up with glasses covered in salt) and that's what I got. After the op the anaesthetist came round to check but we found that our boats are moored a short distance apart so spent 20min talking sailing.

Second eye due in about 4 months. All NHS as just fitted new Beta engine and couldn't afford private op as well. Shows I get my priorities right.

I'm temporarily using glasses for reading with the right eye from the local pharmacy- £2.99! Will buy new reading glasses when left eye has been operated on and has settled down. If I'm lucky a few pairs of £2.99 glasses will do!!! Throw them away if scratched.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jac

Visit site
I had it done in November at Boots £2500 for both eyes. My prescription was borderline -7.75 in 1 eye -6.75 in the other. Astigmatism in the R eye as well.

Had Lasik Surgery - Some discomfort during the operation but no worse than a headache for a couple of minutes and had a slight problem in that the flap moved after the operation resulting in needing acontact lens over over it for a few weeks to hold it in place.

Viion now perfect but they had said that for most people they would correct for free if not perfect.

Night vision is fine now. I did suffer with Halos round lights for a couple of months but gone now.

I was concerned with the risks but i think worth it. Biggest proven risk is infection treated by eyedrops and anti-biotics but only only occurs rarely.

What finally persuaded me of the merits was sailing last summer. Managed to break my normal glasses and only other glasses i has were prescription sunnies. Boat in cornwall, berth in solent old glasses in Reading. Coped by sticking to going out and about in day time ( fortunately very sunny) but it set me thinking.

Overall i would strongly recommend it. Most places will offer a free consultation so do that and see what they say. They may say you're unsuitable in which case decision made for you but at least they will give you the facts and you can see for your self.

<hr width=100% size=1>