Exchange Sails

Backwoodsman

Visit site
I've e-mailed them twice in the last 8 days asking for an update on non receipt of a paid for sale - no response.
I'll try a call on Monday and if I'm not satisfied with the response, ask for a full refund by e-mail. If they don't respond to that, I intend to contact the local Trading Standards Office.

TonyBuckley

www.icloud.com
I've e-mailed them twice in the last 8 days asking for an update on non receipt of a paid for sale - no response.
I'll try a call on Monday and if I'm not satisfied with the response, ask for a full refund by e-mail. If they don't respond to that, I intend to contact the local Trading Standards Office.

Trading Standards are good for notifying so they can add to their database and then they decide who the really bad boys are.

But on the two occasions I have contacted them, they have not done much for me. I realise not really representative.

I think a better solution is a postal letter threatening small claims within seven days. That always seems to get the right response.

It is only because of this thread that I did not go ahead with my purchase. And after several emails back and forth agreeing prices etc, I went silent and yet I have had no reminder/question/nudge from exchange sails who I assumed would try and chase the sale of the sail.

It's prob just a very poor operation than any malice or deceit, but I am a trusting person.

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
OH, just waded through this thread for the first time . . . . . had some dealings with Westaway through the winter when having sails serviced etc, not without issues. The real annoyance is that even after those other issues I have just sent off an oversize cruising chute to 'exchange' for a more suitable one they have listed. He has arranged for a courier to pick up at Penzance on Monday but I'm thinking I will be better off to just cancel that and try and get it sent back to me and continue with my search for another cruising chute.

Anyone in the market for a cruising chute in snuffer with a 13.64 luff.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Got a phonecall from them today. Cheque lost in the post ...

laughing-hysterically_thumb.gif

mdonnelly

Visit site
Fab! Not a cheque though. Does this make exchange sails clear of all charges?

Almost 7 months from when they picked up sail and it actually never sold. Finally settled on their offer and glad to have a locker free'd up. No, wouldn't use them again as bound to be quicker ways of making a few bob from an old sail. On the other hand, I don't know anything about their business and who knows, they might be having a nightmare time!

Daydream believer

Visit site
Just out of interest - nobody has suggested using the free first service from the RYA solicitor
It took me ages arguing with Goacher sails but the RYA solicitor had the money refunded in a couple of weeks for no cost, except postage returning the sail

Dockhead

Visit site
Re Exchangesails - I have NEVER experienced such shameful service!!
Buyer beware!!!!!!!!

I am having an experience sickeningly similar to others described in this thread.

Ordered a jib as an urgent replacement for a blown out headsail, to be sent to Cuxhaven just ahead of a North Sea crossing. Paid for it by wire transfer, including cost of modifications (shortening luff; changing luff rope), agreed on time and date of delivery. It did not arrive. Chased it frantically; wasted a whole day of the harbourmaster's time. Many calls to their office resulted in many promises of "we're right on it; call you back within the hour" but no calls back and no results. Sail finally turned up at a different marina -- it was misaddressed, and sent without any label of any kind, so the harbourmaster there had no idea what to do with it.

Unwrapped it, and it turned out to be a completely different sail, and one which didn't remotely fit (5mm luff rope versus 7.5; luff almost 2 metres too short, etc., etc., etc.). A ragged, unwashed, unmodified genoa, instead of the condition 8 yankee I bought.

Returned (motor sailing) to the UK, received promises of the correct sail being sent right out. But which correct sail? I was given a choice of several sails, none of which was much like the one I bought. Nothing but evasiveness in response to many questions. Then it was not sent and not sent. Emails not answered. Telephone calls sometimes answered with promises of a call back within the hour; but never a call back, naturally.

Is this a scam? A company on the verge of bankruptcy selling non-existent sails to scrape together some money before the collapse? Juggling multiple outraged customers? The behavior is hard to explain, as no business can survive like this -- pure suicide. A company behaving like this is not planning to be in business much longer.

Now I just hope to get my money back. I intent to act very aggressively, as this kind of operation usually follows the "squeaky wheel" principle in juggling creditors, sometimes paying the noisy ones, and always screwing the patient ones. They will get a demand letter on Monday and I will file in small claims court within a week.

Beware!