Exchange Sails

Zen Zero

Boat:Syvota, Epirus, Greece. Me:Rome, Italy
Visit site
I got a wrong sail too. Dimensions were perfect but advertised sail had 2 reefs, delivered sail had none. As I was already home in Italy when I noticed this, I took it to my local sail maker and got it modified, though Exchange did offer to modify it for me. I wonder why they thought it had reef points in it in the first place?

stevd

Visit site
I have now had chance to inspect the sail that arrived. Whilst it is in a good condition, it still isn't the sail that I have ordered. The luff is just over 2 feet short, the leech is 3 feet shorter, at the foot almost 4 feet short!

Im now starting to think that they have resold the sail I ordered. I did manage to negotiate a significant discount. I wouldnt be surprised if someone ordered my sail after me at a higher price.

The luff tape appears to be brand new and unused. Given that this wasnt changed, I really believe they have put the correct size luff tape for my requirements onto a different sail.

I have tried calling but there is no answer. Probably because they recognise my telephone number. I will try again shortly.

Really fed up with them now to say the least!!!! Why can't they just be honest and straight up with me!

stevd

Visit site
Ok finally got through, and spoke to a chap called John.

I have to say, he was very reasonable on the phone to resolve the situation.

He has obviously offered a full refund, or a brand new sail made to spec as they dont have anything else suitable in stock, this will take three weeks to turn around, but has said I can also use the current sail to get my sailing season started.

Of course I have agreed to option 2, as long as it does come through. If it does, I have to say that is very fair. I may still order a main sail from them at this rate.

I will come back and advise when it is all sorted.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
He has obviously offered a full refund, or a brand new sail made to spec as they dont have anything else suitable in stock, this will take three weeks to turn around, but has said I can also use the current sail to get my sailing season started.

Of course I have agreed to option 2, as long as it does come through. If it does, I have to say that is very fair. I may still order a main sail from them at this rate..

Hmm.

Pyramid

Visit site
Be careful.

I ordered a mainsail from this lot, having identified a sail - they rated at 7/10 - for a Moody 29, on their website.

They agreed to re-number the sail, put on the Moody livery in the usual blue and confirmed that the sail was battened with three reefing points. Excellent I thought.

When the sail arrived, I found that the sail was in fact a Sadler sail and on examination it was clear that the Sadler insignia had been removed and replaced with the Moody insignia - in RED!

When I rang - it seemed that the wrong sail had been pulled from the store and that the error was theirs. Really?

Okay. They had drawn the money already from the account and, as mentioned in a previous thread, loaded the payment with the additional work that actually I had NOT authorised, having re-presented my card details to take the extra balance without actually telling me!

Anyway, they had a courier collect the sail and agreed that they would, once they had received the sail back, send me the actual sail that they had agreed to sell to me in the first place and for which I had paid. I reminded them that I had asked for Blue number and blue insignia not red!

The sail eventually arrived - weeks now (money in their account me with no product) and when I opened it out imagine my annoyance to find again the same
ex-Sadler sail, this time displaying blue insignia and with an additional batten sewn into it. On the Sadler sail - NOT a Moody sail.

There were many angry phone calls and eventually a reference to the Trade Descriptions Act was necessary. I was livid.

I can continue as things got very heated.

Anyway, eventually they agreed that the sail I had initially agreed to purchase, had in fact, been sold and that they had took it upon themselves to send me a Sadler sail dressed up as a Moody sail and worse when this was pointed out, they then tried to conceal the identity of the Sadler sail again hoping I would not notice when they sent it to me again!

Unbelievable!

So, be careful.

Backwoodsman

Visit site
Bump.
Unfortunately this thread started after I had ordered a sail from them. The service has been very poor and I would not use them again.

Seajet

Visit site
This is very sad; I have had a few new sails from Westaways - not Exchange - and been very happy with them and the service - but I know another forumite who had grief with them even then, have to say I'd now think twice before using them again.

Westaways / Exchange take note of this thread, this sort of British Leyland service is exactly how modern businesses go under - even if they have been around a fairly long time...

srm

Visit site
Back in January I emailed a number of British sailmakers asking for a new headsail. I included boat details and measurements as it has a custom rig. The reply from Westways was most puzzling in that it appeared to have been writen by a ten year old who did not understand that I wanted a new sail made. The fact that other sailmakers understood what was wanted and replied accordingly made Westaways response look quite bizzare.

At least they did respond though, the sailmaker I expected to give my business to (having had a few sails from them over the years) passed my enquiry to a 'sister' company that was slated on this forum a couple of years ago. Two or three other widely advertised sailmakers did not bother to respond.

TonyBuckley

www.icloud.com
New post on an oldish thread.

Has anyone used this company recently!!!! I have submitted an enquiry but the website is talking about winter deals on one page and Autumn deals (no year specified) on another.

I have a symmetric spinnaker I want rid of, with a view to getting an asymmetric.

Perhaps I should just flog (haha) the first and buy the second of eBay or similar.

stevd

Visit site
After being promised a new sail, which was to be turned around in 3 weeks, I am still waiting for it.

I keep chasing, and I am fobbed off with numerous excuses. I am promised call backs, but they never happen. Every time I call I am told that I will have the sail the following week, promises being made by John. That certainly hasn't happened. You would think, since receiving such poor service they would try their best to resolve the situation, well if this is the best service they can provide, I am not surprised at the amount of negative feedback they have received on here. I certainly wont be using any of their services again. I would strongly recommend others not to use them as well, which I really hate to do, but I don’t want others to have to go through what I have had to deal with. I feel I have been more than patient with them, but it has now worn very thin! I ask a simple direct question, 'has my sail been made yet?' Each time the response has been, 'I'll go and check and call you back,' which of course doesn't happen. Now when I ask that question to Karen, I am being told that John will be calling you back shortly, so clearly something is horribly wrong, but they refuse to say what it is.

As for using them to sell old sails, personally I wouldn't, they send sails to the wrong address, wrong sails to customers, and loose sails altogether. You would be crazy to trust them with your old sails.

I really, really, really hoped that it wasn't going to come to a post like this and that I was able to come back and write something positive, but as it turns out, the service has been worse than abysmal, far worse than I was expecting, even after reading all the negativity that surrounds them.

Seajet

Visit site
stevd,

not sure what legal recourse you have but there must be something, and time to let them have a full broadside.

You can tell them I was a habitual Westaway customer but wouldn't touch them now - all 100% true.

stevd

Visit site
I am sure there is, but I am really not that type of person, I just really want the sail. But I will if absolutely necessary. I was promised weeks ago this new sail, so the loan sail I have had off the boat for the last four weeks. It really is a shame, because I am the type of person to follow up on threads like this with a positive outcome if justified, as I feel people do slate company’s reputations over the smallest of things, but in this instance I feel compelled. Feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall with them.

TonyBuckley

www.icloud.com
Well they did reply to me after a couple of days.

And yes, they have the sail I want.

And yes, they will take my spinnaker as part exchange.

And yes, all for a half decent price.

And no, I won't be using them - thanks for your input.

Wonder who I should try now?

mdonnelly

Visit site
They've had my spinnaker now for over 6 months. Following my last post here a month ago was told to phone back 'next Tuesday' which has been an answer following several previous calls. Anyhow phoned the following Tuesday and was promised a call back to let me know the situation. Still waiting. Just as well I'm not needing the few quid from its sale. Would I use them again? No.

stevd

Visit site
I'm am still hoping that they will come good on this one. I am hoping that they will eventually fulfil their promises, even if it will be incredibly late. I have my doubts though.

It is a real shame, because the exchange sails concept has great potential to be a great service to sailors on lower budgets like myself.

Please, please come good on this exchange sails. A lot of people are following this.

ibbo

Visit site
My first post on here, and not good either. I ordered a secondhand sail from them and was overcharged. The sail was late arriving, during which time I was promised call backs, time after time. After it arrived I realized my account had been overcharged by some £130. After numerous calls I was offered another sail they knew I wanted instead of a refund.
I accepted that, but again had to chase it, day after day. Finally today it arrived.
Its a little tatty but will suffice. I feel glad to get away with not being ripped off.
I would strongly suggest to stay away from this firm.
The answer phone sometimes trips through to west a way, so I assume they are one and the same.
Mike