Engine waterwork problems

Thallac

Visit site
Hi All

Was preparing Boat for trip to NYE fireworks on the Thames and found I have a problem with my Starboard Bukh Dv 48.

I took her for a short run and found the engine bay/bilge full of water. I bailed it out as I thought it was a leak from rainwater into the boat (I had not used her for a couple of months, and it has been raining a bit)

The next day I went on a trip again and found the bilge had filled up again. (Approx 7 full buckets in a 40 minute trip)

The water was warm in the bilge under the engine and cold in a bilge compartment next to main engine bilge.

I checked the stern gland and it seems okay (I have deep water seals)

The exhaust had grey smoke coming out as well as water when it was running

The radiator/overflow tank seemed more full than usual. (It was full to the top) not sure if this was because the water was hot or if I overfilled it last time I topped it up or if there is a problem

I could not see any obvious leaks when I checked it but it was getting dark and I needed to get home so had limited time

The oil is fine

Any clues or tips on what it could be or what to look for.

Thanks for your help. Will be watching fireworks from the armchair

Tim

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
Hi Tim

I assume this is only when the engine is running??

You say the water was warm in the engine bilge sounds to me you have a crack or major leak in one of the engine cooling hoses as one may of burst through freezing.

Also check the water pump bolts are tight and I assume no water ingress through a stuffing box if fitted,

Mike

Thallac

Visit site
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately i am on the Thames so can not tell. Will part drain header tank and see if it fills up again. Tim

Thallac

Visit site
Hi Tim

I assume this is only when the engine is running??

You say the water was warm in the engine bilge sounds to me you have a crack or major leak in one of the engine cooling hoses as one may of burst through freezing.

Also check the water pump bolts are tight and I assume no water ingress through a stuffing box if fitted,

Mike

Thanks Mike, does not appear to be hoses but will check again. Stuffing box/deep sea seals are okay. Will check water pump but seems okay when felt around for any leak. Tim

pvb

Visit site
7 buckets in 40 minutes is a fairly significant leak, which you ought to be able to see when the engine's running. Take a decent torch and have a good look around.

Thallac

Visit site
You are right,; i have no luck seeing. Perhaps it only leaks when the engine is under strain or on hot. I have only looked for leak on a mooring whilst the engine was warm.

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
You are right,; i have no luck seeing. Perhaps it only leaks when the engine is under strain or on hot. I have only looked for leak on a mooring whilst the engine was warm.

PVB is right for that amount of water in 40 min it must be pissing in and under pressure so still guessing its a split hose somewhere and its sods law it
will be difficult to get at :)