Keel bolts

Men a vaur

Visit site
Recently lifted the sole boards on my (fairly new to me) boat and found the surface of the bilge is flaking somewhat (I wonder if it’s bilge paint flaking as can be seen at the bottom of the picture) and has a few cracks around one of the keel bolts. Is someone more experienced than me able to tell me if I should be concerned by these cracks or if it looks superficial and similar to the flaking at the bottom of the photo below the bilge pump hose. Worried that it may have had a grounding at some point as these are the aft most keel bolts. The bilge is dry and no water is seeping around the bolts or backing plate but the cracks concern me a little. All the other keel bolts are clean, dry and uncracked. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3676.jpeg
    IMG_3676.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 53

Tranona

Visit site
Looks OK to me. First sign of grounding is normally disturbance of the keel/hull joint. What boat is it?

Yngmar

Visit site
Might've gotten a little bump at some point. Since the flowcoat is flaking off anyways, why not check? You remove the flowcoat and see if there's delamination underneath and how severe.

I expect you will find some, but not severe. The rearmost bolt is very close to a tight bend, so it may also be simply stress from compression between keel and hull.

Anyways, if there's no other problem areas it's probably not a big deal, depending on what you find you can fix it cosmetically (new flowcoat) or structurally.