engine oil change

dave p

Visit site
alright guys I thought it was time I change my oil in my pair of ford 180hp mermaids as it was done before I got the boat and I have done about 250 hours ,all the time I have had the boat I have always kept the levels topped up ,I rang mermaids and lancing marine to double check how much oil I need to do the job and they both said 13.6 liters well I got a lot more out of the engines one was about 20 liters and the other was about 18 liters but the dipsticks were both on full before I started and now I put the correct amount of oil in the engines one dipstick ricks half way between full and empty and the other only goes about 5 mm up the dipstick .now do I cut down the dipstick tube down so they read right or put more oil in .

kashurst

Visit site
I would check the length of the dipstick tube on both engines and the actual dipsticks too. I'd go off the dipsticks as they are (assuming both sides are the same) - it can be very difficult to get out all the oil from a boat engine. I used to have 180Hp mermaids but I can't remember the oil required to change - no doubt someone will be along shortly who will know. 13L doesn't sound right - it also depends on the angle of the engine instalation too.

Floating Preferably

Visit site
IMHO, I would go for the lower quantity and readjust your dipstick. In old money that is almost four gallons, which is plenty for such an engine. I ran earlier (1962 ) old Fords and because of the 15 or so degree installation angle oil ran out of the back main bearing seals if the recomended 22 pints was put in, so I cut it down to 17 pints, recalibrated the dipsticks, and never had a problem. Oil temperature and pressure was always watched. Two litres is neither here or there, but you could always fit an oil temperature gauge if you have worries in that area, and of course you can change the oil at slightly shorter intervals if you wish. Check what the recommended change period is, 250 hours sounds quite high on old engines.

dave p

Visit site
in the mermaid operators handbook is says 13.6 liters (24 pints)and there only a slight angle on the engine ,both my engine run at 45 oil pressure

Medskipper

Visit site
I used to have Volvo 165 hp engines, so similar size engine. They only took 9 litres per engine. So I needed 4 x 4.5 litre containers to do an oil change. I have to say if the dipstick tubes do not look as if they have been altered in any way I would not cut them down because this will give a false reading.

Last edited:

dave p

Visit site
when I spoke to lancing marine about how much oil I need he said if the marks on the dipstick are wrong after you have put the correct amount of oil in then I would have to make new marks on the dipstick or cut down the dipstick tubes

Spi D

Visit site
when I spoke to lancing marine about how much oil I need he said if the marks on the dipstick are wrong after you have put the correct amount of oil in then I would have to make new marks on the dipstick or cut down the dipstick tubes

Easily done by making a mark on the stick with a hacksaw. Visible also when covered in (black) oil :)

aquapower

Visit site
Easily done by making a mark on the stick with a hacksaw. Visible also when covered in (black) oil :)

Do not mark with a hacksaw, that's the quickest way to make a weak spot, then its sump,off to retrieve the bit that falls off, use an engraver.

Spi D

Visit site
I do not believe a mark on the side of the stick, say 0.5 mm, is going to make anything fall off.

At least none of my dipsticks on trucks, boats or cars have done so over the last 40 years.

macnorton

Visit site
I do not believe a mark on the side of the stick, say 0.5 mm, is going to make anything fall off.

At least none of my dipsticks on trucks, boats or cars have done so over the last 40 years.[/QUOTE

The BMC 1.5 was supplied without dipstick marks, the instruction book stated to fill with the correct quantity and mark the dipstick with a hacksaw. never heard of the end falling off! (might be possible if a numpty did it though!)

gordmac

Visit site
The information I have is they take 3 gallons. If you haven't had any problems or more leaks than normal with Fords why not leave as is?

dave p

Visit site
everywhere I looked its says 13.6 liters .I have had oil coming out the backend and lancing said theres too much oil in the engines as both have been leaking .I will ring lancing again and ask them but I think I am going to have to cut the dipsticks tubes down .

my engines are ford mermaid 595/et/int

Last edited:

omega2

Visit site
If you know what you took out then put the same amount back in ???? A couple of pints here or there will make little difference, always check before use though and your water in the header tank. Sorry reread the post, stick at 13 liters unless your engines are inclined, those marks you have are way over the top, if you took 20 liters out then I am surprised it stayed in there, it generally finds it's way out through the crankshaft oil seals, either back or front.

Last edited:

Latestarter1

Visit site
everywhere I looked its says 13.6 liters .I have had oil coming out the backend and lancing said theres too much oil in the engines as both have been leaking .I will ring lancing again and ask them but I think I am going to have to cut the dipsticks tubes down .

my engines are ford mermaid 595/et/int

Why on earth are you even thinking about cutting the dip-sticks.

There does not appear to be any alternative options for your engines, tube and stick part #'s 1-6163812 & 1-6090988.

Simply buff off old did stick markings and re-fill. 1 liter is a good SWAG for your low mark so put in 12.6 liters and mark, allow to settle then add final liter and add your high mark.

Forget comments by the bodge monkeys about using a hacksaw marking procedure, the ONLY manufacturer approved method of marking is to engrave the dipstick, you can hire engraver or obtain engraver tip for Dremel tool if you have one.

Running lube oil levels too high is potentially damaging for any engine due to risk of aeration caused by crank windage. In addition do not automatically expect your crank seals to stop leaking once engines are running at correct level, likely that seals will require replacement.

Last edited:

pmagowan

sites.google.com
Never rely on dipsticks. I blew up a land rover engine because the dipstick tube got pushed in and so read way too high. Do take into account filters etc when totting up the oil. It only really matters if way too full or way too low. As long as you are somewhere in the middle it will be fine.

dave p

Visit site
I am not cutting the dipsticks .I am going to cut the dipsticks tubes as the two dipsticks are different length's I will have to cut half inch off one and a inch off the other .the 13.6 liters includes the oil filter as I now have the right amount of oil in the engine I might aswell set the dipsticks at the right marks so if I sell the boat later the new owner wont over fill the engines.

theres not that much angle on my engines

Last edited:

Latestarter1

Visit site
Never rely on dipsticks. I blew up a land rover engine because the dipstick tube got pushed in and so read way too high. Do take into account filters etc when totting up the oil. It only really matters if way too full or way too low. As long as you are somewhere in the middle it will be fine.

Cannot agree at all.......

When installing a new marine engine checking that dipstick is properly calibrated is a key part of the the installers check list and failure to carry out this procedure can invalidate warranty. One only has to read Cat, Cummins, Deere or MTU installation guidelines to realise the importance.

Because marine engines invariably have low profile oil pans overfilling can easily cause complete loss of an engine, one only has to ask the Volvo guys here about wrongly calibrated dip sticks.

As to OP, personally I would purchase a pair of new dip sticks and tube to correct part numbers as is sounds like a previous owner has been running round like a one legged man at ass kicking competition and possibly motors will have to come out to do the crank seals, be a doing the rear in situ can be a PITA.

dave p

Visit site
cheers for the advice ,next time I go to the boat I will check the levels again to see how far they off the dipstick marks and go from there ,I never gave the boat a run after a did the oil change I just run them up to make sure there wasn't any leaks

Mermaid-Jon

Visit site
Why on earth are you even thinking about cutting the dip-sticks.

There does not appear to be any alternative options for your engines, tube and stick part #'s 1-6163812 & 1-6090988.

Simply buff off old did stick markings and re-fill. 1 liter is a good SWAG for your low mark so put in 12.6 liters and mark, allow to settle then add final liter and add your high mark.

Forget comments by the bodge monkeys about using a hacksaw marking procedure, the ONLY manufacturer approved method of marking is to engrave the dipstick, you can hire engraver or obtain engraver tip for Dremel tool if you have one.

Running lube oil levels too high is potentially damaging for any engine due to risk of aeration caused by crank windage. In addition do not automatically expect your crank seals to stop leaking once engines are running at correct level, likely that seals will require replacement.

Dave P - Listen to Latestarter on this one as he is absolutely correct.

It clearly states in the Ford literature, I quote "When installing an engine in an inclined position, the dipstick must be re-calibrated to show the correct full position with the correct quantity of oil. Extra care must be taken to ensure that the oil is kept topped up to the full mark".

I can't see from your photos which oil pan you have , but they have differing maximum inclination angles. Your install angle should be less than this to allow for movement on the water.
Shallow well sump (well in the centre with a small step at either end) - maximum 15 degrees front down or flywheel down.
Front Well Sump (deep well at crank pulley end) - maximum 18 degrees front down or flywheel down.
Rear Well Sump (deep well at flywheel end) - maximum 10 degrees front down or 20 degrees flywheel down. Unlikely you'll have this sump though in a marine application.

I can also corroborate Latestarter's statement that the ONLY Ford approved method for re-calibrating a dipstick is to engrave it.

Also, just for clarification, the specification sheet for the Ford 2704ET upon which your 595 is based states that the oil capacity with oil filter for any of the sump options mentioned above is 13.6 litres and of that the filter is stated to hold 1.13 litres.

I hope that will help.

Best regards
Jon