Electric blankets

VicS

Visit site
Anybody use them for out of season sailing, especially where linked up to shorepower?
If you do decide to use an electric blanket get one(s) with multiple heat settings and preferably separate control of the bottom ( feet) section.

Mine at home is a bit OTT but has 9 heat settings for the body area and another 9 for the feet area. I can keep my feet warmer than the rest of me and the wide range of settings means I can keep it on very low settings all night. Body set at 1 and the feet at 2 at the moment.
( It also has a timer, which I normally set for 8 hours)

Unfortunately I dont have shorepower on the boat

mikegunn

Visit site
Mine draws 60 Watts Max, so use it at anchor to prewarm bunk for about an hour before retiring to sleep. Makes all the difference.
Mike.

Robin

Visit site
We live on board and ours is rigged all year. dual controls, each with 3 heat settings. last night was on #2, winter proper it is warmed up on #3 then dropped as needs be to #1 or2 We bought a morphy richards one on amazon after a bunch of failed argos cheaposand got fed up with replacing them even if FOC. Alsogood if duvet is commandeered, easier to switch on and avoid conflict... ?

Lucy52

Visit site
My first Supermarket cheapo packed up after a year, a more expensive one from John Lewis packed up in a week, refunded. Now a cheap Argos one, with good user rating is being tested. It has started to get cold now and a warm bed and pj's make all the difference. I'm on a pontoon berth with shore power, the blanket is rated at 60 Watts, set on low it uses very little power. A game changer in a UK winter, those who wear hair shirts or kilts need not bother.

ashtead

Visit site
Useful to heat up the berth before climbing in as even in bags boat bedding can become damp in wetter months. I guess a wool duvet might help as well though for heat issues ?

laika

Visit site
Per Robin's comment I suspect many liveaboards are looking at this question in a similar light to "has anyone considered using gloves for sailing in winter?" :)

It would never occur to me to use an electric blanket in a house with central heating. For living on a boat over winter it's marvellous. Far more efficient than pre-heating the entire aft cabin before turning in. Now we're renting a flat ours is still staying on the boat for use when we're down there.

Yngmar

Visit site
Did you want to use it sailing or in port?

In port, a AC electric blanket on the mattress is fantastic. Your bed is already warm and cozy when you climb in and you can reduce the much more wasteful cabin heating by a lot.

When sailing, I'd look at some pocket/hand warmers or a battery heated jacket (builders use this in winter and you can get them to fit standard power tool battery packs). Or just find a warmer cruising ground ;-)