Doogee rugged tablets?

The Q

Visit site
Our doogie has had some rigged tablets after he fell down stairs.
After taking one he stands in the middle of the room swaying totally spaced out.

Stemar

Visit site
I got one for Christmas. Just posted this on another thread

First impressions are that it loads Navionics and runs it well. I've downloaded the whole of the Channel and its used 15% of its available memory. The screen is very clear and plenty bright, but, obviously, I don't know what it'll be like in summer sun. Battery life seems decent, though I'll leave it on charge when using it as my plotter.

In short, so far so good. it's doing what it says on the tin.

dgadee

Visit site
Where will you send it if it needs a new battery or screen ?
In my experience it is not worth repairing these tablets - even if they are the more expensive ones. They are becoming a disposable item at £200 (with a 2 year guarantee).

Ps: mine will be mainly used in home waters so I will be going for VMH charts and Marine Navigator.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
Where will you send it if it needs a new battery or screen ?

Are you serious ???

Screen - if that is cracked - ditch it ... replacement cost would no doubt be near price of new tablet.

Battery - actually not so hard to replace batterys - pal of mine does it for friends ... in fact he replaced the USB socket in one of mine in about 30mins about 2 yrs back ... and that's more involved than a battery !
If anyone doesn't want to replace battery - use a Powerbank ... I have a really old 12" that its not worth putting a new battery in - so when I want it .. I plug in a Powerbank. Cheaper .. easy to recharge ... even while plugged into tablet.

Refueler

Visit site
In my experience it is not worth repairing these tablets - even if they are the more expensive ones. They are becoming a disposable item at £200 (with a 2 year guarantee).

Ps: mine will be mainly used in home waters so I will be going for VMH charts and Marine Navigator.

I assume you looked at Navionics Boating and Lakes ?? I have no connection to them - just a satisfied user.

dgadee

Visit site
I assume you looked at Navionics Boating and Lakes ?? I have no connection to them - just a satisfied user.
I use Navionics, VHM and o-charts. Depends on which boat and which device. For home waters I do lilke the VHM charts.

Stemar

Visit site
First impressions are that the screen's quite bright, but there aren't many that are easily viewable in bright sunlight, so I'll be building a shading box, something like this

Edit. The link seems to have got lost, so try again

s-l1600.jpg

Ah, that looks better

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
Daylight viewable especially in Sunlight is hard on any screen ... I haven't found any yet that really do the job ..

Regardless of viewability .... one aspect of Tablets and this applies to some MFD's where screen is not filtering ... sunlight direct onto the screen can 'black' out the screen as the LCD overheats. So you may have a viewable screen until heat builds up and it blacks ... simply the screen goes black - not the dark grey screen off .. but deep black ...
It needs a shade.

bluerm166

Visit site
'Are you serious ????' Yes I am.

Not very resourceful then to chuck things away .Yes I have replaced the battery in a samsung 10'' T580 for less than £30 taking about 20 mins. I also keep it connected and arrive after a 10 hour crossing of constant use with it fully charged.
It's a lot more convenient if it holds a charge so you can move it around for other purposes.Also have a T510 due for the same treatment shortly,battery costing £29.
Following You-tube instructions requires little skill.

dgadee

Visit site
I started to repair a broken screen about 8 years ago but gave up. It was an expensive waterproof Sony (I didn't buy it) but the replacement screen cost too much and I didn't have much confidence in the machine given that it only fell about 2 foot onto a carpet. Since then I have bought cheap - 2 off Lenovos for around £100 each have done me in that period. So that's £25 a year.

I did replace the battery in my epirb a few weeks ago. Firms wanted £120 to do it and all it involved was soldering four batteries.